MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

plus-size shopping

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

plus-size shopping

Postby monsterface » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:30 pm

I assume y'all have got it going on, but this one's for the ladies that have more of it going on than the typical mannequin. Personally, I'm constantly terrified of looking like my mother, so I can't fathom doing the mall thing and czeching out the Lane Bryants. On top of that, I have issues with Old Navy, The Gap, and some other chain stores. Around town, though, I've almost always had luck finding something appealing at Circa Vintage and that Gozira place on State Street, oh and St. Vinny's in a pinch. I feel like I'm missing something, though.

Where do you go for your shape and style of clothing?
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:14 pm

I go to the Old Navy for pants because they seem to be the only place I can consistently find jeans and cords for short people. Their ads suck and they probably have shitty business practices, but they don't deny the shorties.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:57 pm

I have the opposite problem, why do they assume that just because I wear a larger size that I'm 5'2"?
Jeans usually from the men's dept. of the store where they're cheapest. Sometimes Old Navy has women's long enuff but I'll only buy from the clearance rack.
Lane Bryant's designers hate women, it's evidenced in their clothing line. JC Penney and (CK?) Banks assume all larger women want bullet proof polyester or cutesy embroidery.
I'm glad I can wear jeans and t-shirts to work everyday.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby cattyr » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:04 pm

That's good to know about ON, and it is borne out by the fact that I got a used pair at the Mauston (? is that where that big good one is on the way up north?) St. Vinnie's this summer. Have you noticed this though - a friend and I were comparing notes - the bottom seams want to curl up on the jeans?

If you're a patient shopper I think TJ Maxx often yields good deals, but if you're the type to go looking for something specific not so much. I am very close to a Marshall's now but I don't like it as much as TJM. I really only go for shirts/sweaters to those stores anyway. Jeans at Kohl's are usually arranged according to size.

I lust after a lot of the clothes at J. Jill but they are tres cher, if you ask me.

There are a lot of things I like about Target but I can never find clothes that appeal to me.

I wish we had a Dillard's. Over and out.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:00 pm

I am sorry I don't have much advice for you. I used to go the Land's End Outlet on State Street. My gripe about plus sizes is somehow they assume that the distance between your crotch and waist is really long. It means I either had pants that I could hoist up to my breasts or have the crotch at the knees.

I have lost weight and no longer have to shop in the plus sizes. I don't miss it. Why do they think all plus size women want elastic waists and leopard print?
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:42 pm

I'm not sure if I'm a plus size. It depends on the piece. I feel less stressed, in loose, more comfortable clothes. I did find some nice pieces at Land's End, and Winter Silks. Some designers, carried at Macy's, are pretty nice. I've got a Jones of New York shirt that would make anyone look good, just because of the tailoring. A friend of mine works at Dress Barn and she always looks good. I was strolling by a store called Avenue, at Westgate and some of their stuff looks more elegant than the typical plus size.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:40 am

Old Navy clothing rarely lasts longer than three months. I don't shop there at all anymore.

Lane Bryant has been getting progressively suckier, though they do now seem to be getting over their ill-conceived practice of making everything short in a bizarre attempt to force all their customers to emulate Britney Spears. I may end up going almost exclusively to Catherine's for most things and buying only basic stuff like jeans at Lane Bryant.

The Boston Store's yellow tag sales are pretty good, too.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby costuminatrix » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:49 am

My problem with "plus" sizes is not only that most of them are ugly and made of poor-quality fabric, the clothing industry seems to think that all larger women are apple-shaped (read: large waist and small hips). I have a very small waist and Hips That Ate Pittsburgh, so thank the gods I know how to sew because I have to take everything in in the waist. Seriously, the best favor you can do yourself at ANY size is know some basic alteration skills and own a sewing machine, because the fashion industry sure ain't gonna change to help anyone, especially the larger-size ladies. Hell, I'll even teach the class. "Fixing the Fashion Industry's F*&%-Ups."

Pants are, of course, the hardest thing to find. I don't like Lane Bryant, but at least their basic pants fit me reasonably well. Have also had decent luck at JCPenney's, of all places. I like Newport News (www.newport-news.com) for online ordering, though they can be a bit dodgy this time of year about getting the orders right. And while I've heard them called a little "mature-age" fashion-wise, I'm in my 30s and I still like Rupert Cornelius over in Hilldale, especially for summer work clothes. You can always kick up some of the plainer pieces with cool accessories.

I know, it's mostly a sad state of affairs, though. I second the person who lamented that we don't have Dillard's. They always seemed to have a better selection than the department stores we have here.

I tend to make a lot of my summer clothes myself, and in fact for a while was offering my services to larger ladies for summer dresses. I prefer to sew for sizes 14 and up because it's so darn hard for us to find fabulous things. There are several custom designers I know who make some terrific items made-to-measurements, but you have to be willing to pay more. Sometimes, it's worth it if you need something fancy, but not so much on the basic day-to-day wear.
costuminatrix

Postby monsterface » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:06 am

Have y'all czeched out Torrid? I know they had a store in Wauwatosa, but now I see they have one in Appleton and I'm punching myself in the jugular for not going over Thanksgiving break when I was in the area. Now, my jugular hurts.

They have a pretty nice online site, and from what I can tell their phone's not off the hook, but their stockings definitely are. Online plus-size shopping, though? A few of you have mentioned it, but it sounds a certain circle of hell I'm assured a ticket to but don't want to make time to visit.
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:17 am

Hey costuminatrix, you up for some tailoring? I have a lot of trouble finding things to fit me because I am in between regular and plus sizes (built like an Amazon, especially on top) and can never find things that bridge the gap. I might be in the market for some of the aforementioned summer dresses next year.

I'm under 30, but even though I make fun of them for catering to middle-aged ladies who love to garden, I've also found some nice things in Rupert Cornelius. The emphasis on natural fibers, including silk, is great.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby costuminatrix » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:55 am

Thusnelda wrote:Hey costuminatrix, you up for some tailoring? I have a lot of trouble finding things to fit me because I am in between regular and plus sizes (built like an Amazon, especially on top) and can never find things that bridge the gap. I might be in the market for some of the aforementioned summer dresses next year.

Sure, I could do that, depending on the garment. I'm in the same boat as you except in reverse. Regular size on the top, just barely into plus size on the bottom. Thank you, battleship hips!

costuminatrix at yahoo dot com, drop me a line sometime. Professional costume designer for 13 years and constant crusader for well-fitting clothing for the unusually-proportioned.
costuminatrix

Postby monsterface » Tue May 08, 2007 12:52 pm

From the San Jose Mercury News:
This is the last summer that Old Navy will carry larger plus-size clothing in its stores. Instead, the company will sell the fashions exclusively online.

"We really wanted to showcase the Plus collection and felt the best place to do that effectively was online," said Gap spokeswoman Robin Carr. While plus sizes have been carried since 2004 in only 175 of Old Navy's 950 North American stores, "online is everywhere," she said.

Online is everywhere? Stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

On the positive side, Old Navy will FINALLY get all those fat people out of the stores. They were such an eyesore.
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue May 08, 2007 3:56 pm

monsterface wrote:From the San Jose Mercury News:
This is the last summer that Old Navy will carry larger plus-size clothing in its stores. Instead, the company will sell the fashions exclusively online.

"We really wanted to showcase the Plus collection and felt the best place to do that effectively was online," said Gap spokeswoman Robin Carr. While plus sizes have been carried since 2004 in only 175 of Old Navy's 950 North American stores, "online is everywhere," she said.

Online is everywhere? Stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

On the positive side, Old Navy will FINALLY get all those fat people out of the stores. They were such an eyesore.

I hope they realize that boobs generally need some room in their clothing at ON, too. I sometimes have to go to the XL just for boob room, but then the sleeves are eight miles long and the body is 3 feet wide. WTF?
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed May 09, 2007 8:31 am

Yeah, as if there were that many fat people in the stores, considering that they put out two or three pieces at most. Wouldn't want to shame their rep by catering to fatties. What a bunch of corporate losers.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:07 am

We could start this thread as a list of places to shop at. I'm wearing an $8. retro silk blouse, from Ragstock, that looks great and covers me while I'm losing weight. I've also got a Jones of New York, for $75. from Macy's, but the lines are so fabulous, I could be obese and look good. I haven't stopped in at the Avenue yet, but from looking into the store, they have nice color and lines. I'd don't want to look like that woman with the leppard fez, from sctv.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All