MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

flickr-heads: What's your take on this yahoo nonsense?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

flickr-heads: What's your take on this yahoo nonsense?

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:53 am

I'm resisting, for some reason, in the hope that I can keep my "old skool" log in. What about you?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:11 pm

i resisted for a while, but then realized that i dont care. as long as you make sure to turn off all correspondence when you create your yahoo account, you're fine. haven't recieved a single email from yahoo since i signed up 3 mos. ago.

i don't think it's a big deal.
paulie
Forum Addict

Re: flickr-heads: What's your take on this yahoo nonsense?

Postby ms4denmark » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm resisting, for some reason, in the hope that I can keep my "old skool" log in. What about you?

I turned to the darkside a few weeks ago. I've seen no change since, except for that crazy business with the naked fat guy lifting weights in my photostream...

---------------
plogging madison...
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Re: flickr-heads: What's your take on this yahoo nonsense?

Postby goofticket » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm resisting, for some reason, in the hope that I can keep my "old skool" log in. What about you?

I don't understand this question?
what happened to you?
goofticket
Forum Addict

Postby nickled&dimed » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:07 pm

when i signed up the old school signup wasn't an option. I'm a newbie.
my yahoo mail forwards directly to which i choose.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:24 pm

If Flickr manages to keep their identity intact the way del.icio.us did after their Yahoo acquisition, I see no problem. The only thing that really creeps me out are reports of Yahoo not respecting people's intellectual property preferences - if that shit starts to happen with any sort of frequency, I'm outta there, and you can bet a whole lotta other members will bounce too.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hecky » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:33 pm

What intellectual property boundaries has Yahoo failed to respect?
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby LoopBo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:03 pm

no way. no way! not now, not never.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:16 pm

I rarely used my old skool log-in. I had to request my password and user name so I could switch to my yahoo account.
I have an icon on my toolbar that takes me right to my photos. One click is much more convenient than remembering a gazillion different user names and passwords.
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:19 pm

hecky wrote:What intellectual property boundaries has Yahoo failed to respect?

There had been complaints in the Flickr help forums about Yahoo poaching Flickr user's pics for use on other Yahoo-branded sites without attribution, etc., but as far as I can tell now, they've shaped up and have been somewhat respecting user's Creative Commons licenses. Even with a CC license, though, I would feel creeped out having my material co-opted by the Yahoo brand (see http://wii.yahoo.com for a good example of the future of Flickr).

And yes, it's different from Isthmus displaying its group member's photos - we explicitly opt-in for TDP feature photos, and there's really no comparison between Yahoo and Isthmus' corporate statures.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Fri May 11, 2007 4:29 am

Great. So now Yahoo is shutting down Yahoo Photos and trying to migrate users over to Flickr. Sorry to be a snot about it, but I'm not looking forward to an enormous influx of assclowns hosting their Myspace backgrounds on Flickr.

I just let my Pro account expire, and I'm heavily leaning towards non-renewal. There're other very competitive photo hosting/sharing sites out there, plus I should really be hosting my own gallery myself. The only things I'd really miss from Flickr would be a few of the groups, especially the Isthmus pool, the Madison, WI group, and most of all, the Strobist group. But I don't need to pay Yahoo anything to continue participating in those.

It had its time, and its place. With the right community and the right people at the helm, it was Web 2.0 gone right (and god how I cringe saying that, but I mean it). Shark, meet Flickr, a few feet over your head. Welcome to September 1993 2.0.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 11, 2007 9:23 am

I don't have a problem with cashing in, as the creators of Flickr surely did by partnering with Yahoo. But when you devise a site to specifically have all the features the other sites lack, likely because they HAVE cashed in, and then you let those standards slide by cashing in yourself, don't expect any admiration from the public you sought in the first place.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All