MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Dog food - poop ratio

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:51 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Good doggie kennels can be a blast for the dogs.

It sure seems so.
Our dogs were always rambunctuous but happy as heck whenever they got near the pet lodge.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:52 am

Yeah, my pooch is never so exhausted as when we return home from wherever and "spring her" from the kennel. She doesn't like saying goodbye, but I'd wager her they keep her so damn active while we're gone that she barely has the energy to miss us.

There are kennels, and then there are pet retreats. If your friends are really too attached to put their pups in somebody's professional care for a weekend, they need to get over it.

I would never assume that such an invitation to a weekend getaway would be extended to pets. Maybe they thought it would be fair game since it was a rural setting? Would they have carted them along for a weekend in Chicago as well?

I mean, it might be one thing to drag your well behaved dog to an afternoon cookout or something (and even that should be confirmed with the host), but you're absolutely right that the focus then becomes all about the dog. Personally, unless I know there are going to be other dogs around to distract my pup's attention, it's generally not as fun for me when she's along on an outing because (like any good dog owner) I need to keep a constant eye on her.

It's just one of many sacrifices you make when you take on the responsibility of a pet. There will be times you can't go somewhere you'd like, or when you'll have to shell out some extra bucks for boarding to snag a weekend free from early morning feedings and late night pee breaks.

But unless you're an Inuit and you're using the fuckers for locomotion, this "my dogs go where I go" shit is simply ridiculous.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:24 am

TAsunder wrote:jjoyce, do you use pre-packaged raw or do you make it yourself? I was amazed at how many local places sold the nature's variety prairie frozen raw medallions. Madcat has them tucked away in the back along with one or two other frozen brands.

Used to make it, which was a HUGE pain, but now it's that frozen stuff from Madcat which is much, much easier. Some duck necks are mixed in as well.

This is a black lab, and she dispenses with the standard patty in like 30 seconds, unwarmed. Cats, clearly, are much different. The people at MadCat know what's up, however, and are very helpful.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:31 am

supaunknown wrote:Eh, I'm bored............

I totally agree with you, I don't expect anybody to invite my dogs along with me. I feel the same as chuck,, when my dogs are along I spend the whole time keeping track of them, making sure the blind one doesn't walk off a cliff or something.

Very curious about the raw food or maybe a blend of the two, is that something anybody does? Anything to cut down on the waste. My one dog seems to be capable of a pile every three blocks. I can't take it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:15 am

I feed my cats 3-5 times per day. When I was trying raw, I would give them raw 2 times a day and then canned or dry food the other times. I am not sure it would be a good idea to literally mix the raw food with the dry food in the same bowl, but I think it would be just fine otherwise.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:57 pm

narcoleptish wrote:My one dog seems to be capable of a pile every three blocks. I can't take it.

Wow, that is a bit extreme. Are you sure you're not overfeeding him/her? Not to doubt your savvy as a pet owner, mind you, but not all foods (especially dry) require the same servings.

My vet says something like "the output should equal the input" which I don't think means you should weigh it our or anything, but in general if your dog is eating twice a day, she should be good for two regular pit stops.

Anyway, that's how it works for our dog. But then, we don't leave food out to let her graze all day (not sure if you're doing this), but rather have her on scheduled feedings.

My problem is, the better quality of food I give my dog, the more she tends toward the overweight side, even though she gets pretty much the bare minimum recommended serving. So now I've got her on a half-n-half blend of the regular and light stuff and I'm hoping that between that and more regular springtime jaunts, she'll shed a few pounds.

But boy is her fur softer since we switched her the last time.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:55 pm

What brand made her fur softer? We're in the midst of trying new brands too because Paisley doesn't seem to like the expensive kibble from the co-op we've been giving him.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Dog Food

Postby DMeister » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:11 pm

It tastes just like it smells. . .

Delicious.
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:47 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:My one dog seems to be capable of a pile every three blocks. I can't take it.

Wow, that is a bit extreme. Are you sure you're not overfeeding him/her?

Yeah, I know it sounds like that but I give him (them) what the bag recommends for their weight, split in two, morning and night. It's roughly two cups of food per day per 55 lb dog, which doesn't seem like it would be enough. The vet says both dogs are at ideal weight.

A pile every three blocks has happened but in general he goes twice a walk and at least once more per day. I had never heard the "output should equal input" theory before. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I am still going to switch to one of the earlier mentioned foods.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:08 am

Violet_Skye wrote:What brand made her fur softer?

As loathe as I am to admit it due to the stupid, feel-good name, it's Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

It's good stuff, but as I said, she put on a few pounds after we switched her. Granted, part of that is general winter inactivity (on her part and ours), but it's something to watch for (along with allergy symptoms) whenever you switch foods.

Oh, and don't forget the general recommendation to go half-and-half with the old and new food for a week or so to minimize any digestive issues when you switch.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby curiouslystrong » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:52 pm

TAsunder wrote:Is it prescription royal canin or just normal?

Just normal. Lamb & Rice for the adults.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:11 pm

as it turns out, many dogs are allergic to corn. Whe i stopped giving my dog food with corn in it, he stopped his incessant (flea free) scratching, his dry skin healed, and his fur was shinier.

no corn! for doggies!!
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:03 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:What brand made her fur softer?

As loathe as I am to admit it due to the stupid, feel-good name, it's Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

It's good stuff, but as I said, she put on a few pounds after we switched her. Granted, part of that is general winter inactivity (on her part and ours), but it's something to watch for (along with allergy symptoms) whenever you switch foods.

Oh, and don't forget the general recommendation to go half-and-half with the old and new food for a week or so to minimize any digestive issues when you switch.

Yep, always do that...Paisley seems to have a cast iron gut though, changes in diet never seem to affect him at all. We did the raw food thing a few years back but it just got too expensive and time consuming (made it myself per vet's recipe--yogurt, ground beef, veggies, garlic, etc.). He's getting older now and I have noticed his fur getting drier and rougher than it used to be, so I'll give the kibble with the :roll: name a try next time. I purposely avoided even reading the bag info at Woodman's just because that name is so sappy.

And if that doesn't help after awhile, I'll try the no-corn thing, too. Love the great info I get here.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:And if that doesn't help after awhile, I'll try the no-corn thing, too. Love the great info I get here.

I'm not sitting here looking at the label, but ... I'm 99% sure that the stupidly named food is corn-free.

My dog used to scratch herself more when she was eating the corn-infused stuff too. Usually your choice is between corn and brown rice. I don't think there are many decent brands that mix the two.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:40 am

There is a warning out today on cnn about many dog and cat food brands causing kidney failure. If this link doesn't work you can find it on the cnn site.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/17/petfoo ... index.html
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All