MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Dog food - poop ratio

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby comte buffon » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:13 pm

Chicken Soup, etc. is corn-free. I have a terrier who is allergic to corn (v. common in terriers). You have to watch out for corn in snacks too--not just corn filler, but also corn syrup.

Instead of corn, some foods have potato for the base--thus, for example, Eukanuba's "Fish and Sweet Potato" combo. Right now I'm using "Wellness" brand fish and potato, but I'm going back to the Chicken Soup for the Sappy Dog Owner after this batch.
comte buffon
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:42 pm

comte buffon wrote:"Wellness" brand fish and potato

= horrible, horrible fish breath.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:51 pm

The ingredients matter. Nutro, for example, makes maybe one passable (ahem) recipe, and the rest is junk food for dogs.

Avoid grains at the top of the ingredient list. Choose foods that list meat meals at the top, as opposed to "whole animal" meats (here's a good explanation...make sure it actually specifies the animal, too). Choose foods that include multiple protein sources if possible.

We have fed our dogs Nutro Max for years. I checked the ingredients and Lamb meal is at the top of the formula we currently have. I compared their ingredient list to Canidae and they're remarkably similar. So, I don't know where you're getting the idea that Nutro is "junk food". Maybe you're thinking about a different brand?
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:05 pm

sydgrl wrote:
The ingredients matter. Nutro, for example, makes maybe one passable (ahem) recipe, and the rest is junk food for dogs.

Avoid grains at the top of the ingredient list. Choose foods that list meat meals at the top, as opposed to "whole animal" meats (here's a good explanation...make sure it actually specifies the animal, too). Choose foods that include multiple protein sources if possible.

We have fed our dogs Nutro Max for years. I checked the ingredients and Lamb meal is at the top of the formula we currently have. I compared their ingredient list to Canidae and they're remarkably similar. So, I don't know where you're getting the idea that Nutro is "junk food". Maybe you're thinking about a different brand?

I'm not sure which variant of Nutro Max has "lamb meal" as the first ingredient, but this site has a good, annotated review of a number of dog foods.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:21 pm

Dogs can have allergies to a number of different foods. A simple blood test will let you know. I once had a dog that was allergic to beef, yeast, soy, and potatoes. Luckily there was one lamb and rice food (Nutros ?) on the market that was acceptable to his digestive tract.
He was also the last pure breed dog I will ever own.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:25 pm

My bad. It's not Max it's Nutro Natural Choice. I thought that "Max" was part of the brand name. The one we have right now is Lamb Meal and Rice. But, it has rice bran in it, so I guess it's evil too. :lol:

All I can say is that dog food is a ridiculously emotional issue for dog owners. I've seen some all out wars on boards between pro- and anti-BARF folks, for example. Or, people accused of animal abuse for feeding their dogs Science Diet. I just can't get that worked up about it, personally.

We have fed our dogs (Australian Shepherds) a variety of brands. We fed Canidae for a while and switched to Nutro about 4 years ago. We saw no difference in their health, weight, coat, energy level, poop production (heh). I figure if the dogs are healthy and thriving, we're doing good.

I'm not sure which variant of Nutro Max has "lamb meal" as the first ingredient, but this site has a good, annotated review of a number of dog foods.

That site doesn't seem all that comprehensive as there are lots of formulas for which there is no analysis or rating.

To the person who originally posted in the thread, a friend sent me a link to a site last year that has a huge collection of reviews that you may find helpful, although I'm not sure if they get down to the poop production level: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:47 pm

sydgrl wrote:My bad. It's not Max it's Nutro Natural Choice. I thought that "Max" was part of the brand name. The one we have right now is Lamb Meal and Rice. But, it has rice bran in it, so I guess it's evil too. :lol:

All I can say is that dog food is a ridiculously emotional issue for dog owners...

I never said anything was evil, syd. I'm hoping you're being lightheartedly facetious. And anyway, the Nutro Natural Choice is the "good" one I was talking about.

As for emotionality (sic?), I don't want to give the impression I'm a rabid acolyte of anything. I do want to communicate the fact that (thanks to my fastidious girlfriend) I know there is a LOT of information out there, and a good dog owner won't just buy what's "on sale." Anyone who can defend their dog's food with more than just the price is at least doing something right.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I never said anything was evil, syd. I'm hoping you're being lightheartedly facetious.

Definitely, I was hoping that would be conveyed with the laughing smiley. It was a lighthearted snark at the author who mentioned that the rice bran was a filler.

My "emotional" comment wasn't directed at you or anyone else on this board. It was just a general sentiment based on past experience in discussions about pet foods that turn into all out wars.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:01 pm

sydgrl wrote:My "emotional" comment wasn't directed at you or anyone else on this board. It was just a general sentiment based on past experience in discussions about pet foods that turn into all out wars.

No worries, I just figured I'd comment on it since it appears you and I are the only ones interested right now. Of course, it does show just how little I actually do in my free time, doesn't it...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:37 am

PLEASE NOTE that there has been a massive pet food recall, initiated by manufacturer Menu Foods.

The list of affected brands comes from CNN:
Recalled cat foods
Americas Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Best Choice; Companion; Compliments; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog; Food Lion; Foodtown; Giant Companion; Good n Meaty; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Li'l Red; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Nutriplan; Nutro Max Gourmet Classics; Nutro Natural Choice; Paws; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Sophistacat; Special Kitty; Springfield Pride; Sprout; Total Pet; My True Friend; Wegmans; Western Family; White Rose; and Winn Dixie.

Recalled dog foodsAmerica's Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Award; Best Choice; Big Bet; Big Red; Bloom; Bruiser; Cadillac; Companion; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat; Shep Dog; Food Lion; Giant Companion; Great Choice; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Mixables; Nutriplan; Nutro Max; Nutro Natural Choice; Nutro; Ol'Roy; Paws; Pet Essentials; Pet Pride; President's Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Publix; Roche Bros; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Springsfield Pride; Sprout; Stater Bros; Total Pet; My True Friend; Western Family; White Rose; Winn Dixie and Your Pet.

Some of the foods that have been discussed in this thread are mentioned in this recall.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:16 am

Jeez Book, I beat you to that news two days and a page ago.

It's a very serious issue and I'm glad you posted it again with a lot more info..... just giving you some poop.

here's a link to more info: http://menufoods.com/recall/
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:20 am

Wow. Totally missed that post. Props.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:02 pm

It has now been learned that Menu Foods was a contractor for Wellness brand pet food, as well as the maker of Innova and EVO, and other pet food makers of solid reputation.

This is a bummer. Gonna have to switch off Wellness just to be safe, since more problems pop up every friggin day with this mess.

Canidae/Felidae, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold and Merrick are some of the better manufacturers that are totally Menu Foods-free.

Go here.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:55 am

Hmmm... so it's mere dumb luck that evo and wellness (the stuff I use) were not affected?!
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:45 am

Two things:

1) The connection with Innova/EVO and Wellness hasn't been reported in the media because those companies didn't use Menu for the suspect ingredient (wheat gluten). They used Menu for a different part of the process.

2) It's not so much dumb luck that those brands weren't affected, as it is disconcerting that there's any food from those companies going through Menu's facilities. Menu's cross-contamination protocols are unknown, and given the attention (or lack thereof) they apparently paid to crop safety, I don't feel completely confident in Menu's ability to keep their problems out of otherwise-unaffected areas.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All