MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Motorcycle repair

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Motorcycle repair

Postby DamnShame » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:15 am

I have a 1979 Honda CB400T motorcycle that needs a tune up.
Any suggestions for a near-westside -trustworthy- repair shop?

Also, my truck needs some brake work....same question.

thanks.
DamnShame

Re: Motorcycle repair

Postby Bbbent » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 am

DamnShame wrote:I have a 1979 Honda CB400T motorcycle that needs a tune up.
Any suggestions for a near-westside -trustworthy- repair shop?

Madison Motorsports isn't westside, but those guys are great. Beyond that ping someone from my former club and see what they think (http://www.madisonmotorcycleclub.org)

DamnShame wrote:Also, my truck needs some brake work....same question.

See my friend Brian at Spring Harbor Auto Clinic Inc 5530 University Ave. Tell him Bentley sent you. Great guy and also a hardcore moto guy (which is how I know him) so talk bikes..

Bbbent
Vice President, Wisconsin Observed Trials Association
70 Triumph T100c
94 Sherco 290 mototrials
75 Yamaha RD350
misc junk..
Bbbent

Postby spanky » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:02 am

Motorcycle Performance
5205 University Ave
Madison, WI 53705
(608) 238-1195
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:27 am

Bbbent wrote:Madison Motorsports isn't westside, but those guys are great.

Yes, they are! But they're the retail shop upstairs. The wrenchers downstairs are Motorcycle Solutions. They're over off Stoughton Road, same side of Stoughton as Bob Barr's but on the other side of Buckeye.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Bbbent wrote:Madison Motorsports isn't westside, but those guys are great.

Yes, they are! But they're the retail shop upstairs. The wrenchers downstairs are Motorcycle Solutions. They're over off Stoughton Road, same side of Stoughton as Bob Barr's but on the other side of Buckeye.

Ditto on the thumbs up for the guys @ motorcycle solutions. Cool cats.

They explained (in idiot terms) how to install my new Power Commander on the SV1000....then showed me how to use it. Damn Fuel injection, making my life complicated.

Who's up for a Forum Rally this summer!

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:23 pm

On the west side I would go with motorcycle performance as mentioned earlier. They tend to initially blame everything on "bad gas" or the possibility that you put in diesel by mistake, but in the end I was always satisfied.

My experience is a few years old but I would not take a japanese bike to Sharer in verona. I was told their "jap bike guy" was good and hauled my old 900 out there. I've struggled for years to get that bike running right again since that dink did whatever he did. He could be long gone but things like that stick with you.

I've had good luck at Suter's also. I was a little put-off at first by the owners somewhat cold persona, but I now think he's just a quiet guy. I finally got him to crack a smile the last time. I think he just likes my bike.

No personal experience with motorcycle solutions but a friend likes them and I've heard nothing bad.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:56 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Who's up for a Forum Rally this summer!

*points two thumbs at self*
"This guy."

Ditto all the positive comments about Motorcycle Solutions and Motorcycle Performance.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:00 pm

massimo wrote:Ditto all the positive comments about Motorcycle Solutions and Motorcycle Performance.

Yup. I'm a Team Triumph girl now (in Janesville, best dealer in the WHOLE WORLD, followed by Corse in Saukville), but most of the people I ride with are equally happy with the two Motos, Solutions & Performance.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:46 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I've had good luck at Suter's also. I was a little put-off at first by the owners somewhat cold persona, but I now think he's just a quiet guy. I finally got him to crack a smile the last time. I think he just likes my bike.

Suter's is awesome, but I'm the type that loves to hunt through boneyards for cool parts. Whatever the owner's name is, you're dead on. He seems pretty stand-off-ish when you first walk in, but once you hang out for a few and talk to him he's a good guy. He made me a set of custom bars out of two pairs of old bars I had when I was turning my old suzuki into a cafe project...bike never really turned out that well but I kept the bars and it only cost me 20 bucks.

Do they still have that older Kawasaki there with the nitrous system?...I always wanted to take that thing for a spin...heh.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DamnShame » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:00 pm

thanks for all the good info.
I've been out to Suter's and found a replacement rear sprocket, ordered brake pad's, etc. a couple of years ago. Nice place.
I'll probably try Moto Performance off of University since it is closest to where my bike is currently stored.
Thanks again.
DamnShame

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:46 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Do they still have that older Kawasaki there with the nitrous system?...I always wanted to take that thing for a spin...heh.

Do you mean the bike he rode on the ice? I believe he has a world ice speed record. That bike was there the last time I was there. It's been a while. Moto performance used to have an older custom kaw w/nitrous in the shop. Very cool bike. I bet your bike gets a good test run at Suter's, what with them being on that long, straight, fairly quiet country road.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:18 pm

DamnShame wrote:I have a 1979 Honda CB400T motorcycle that needs a tune up.

My first road bike was a 1975 Honda CB500T. Some time I'll tell you about when the #1 piston blew into peices against the cylinder head at 70 or so, locking up the whole drivetrain and forever ending that's bike's noisy, smokey reign of terror. It's rotting carcass still haunts suter's boneyard, Identifiable by the "World karting Association" sticker on the fender. He gave me $20 for it in trade for a beater 1978/77 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin that quit running two miles down the road.

Does it have points ingnition or CDI? I bet you'll need new points.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:53 pm

I'm up for a Forum rally but my summer weekends are getting booked.

Who's going to be at the Slimey Crud on 5/6? I'll be in Leland, coming from WI Dells.

Oh yeah, Motorcycle Solutions, Joe is a great guy. Will have my new tires installed by my dealer because I talked them into a lower price than MS.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Scooterboy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 am

Suter's is a great place and they know their bikes, sleds, and atv's. 2 or 4 stroke. No anti-whatever you're riding bias.

I'll be dialing in my scooter's carburetor jetting on their dyno.
Scooterboy

Return to Catch All