MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, January 30, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 14.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Kwik Trip on Gammon RD, WTF?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby bluethedog » Tue May 01, 2007 8:58 pm

waylan wrote:They have the cheepest bananas, OJ, dang near everything is well priced. Like grocery store prices compared to typical gas station prices.

Just broke the news to my friend who is out of state until Friday...she also mentioned the cheap bananas, and milk.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue May 01, 2007 9:12 pm

...banana's & milk? I could understand if the name of the gas station was Kwik Trik, but shouldn't banana's & milk be better associated with this convenience store chain...???

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Justcub » Tue May 01, 2007 9:28 pm

waylan wrote:
That's my two cents. I actually though Madison didn't have any KTs. Was that the last one?

Waylon, I think it was the last one.
I have seen a few different listings for KwikTrips in Madison, but the offical KwikTrip website only listed the one on Gammon. (as of today).
Justcub

Postby Justcub » Tue May 01, 2007 9:31 pm

universitylad wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote:
roadkill bill wrote:
How are your teeth holding up?

Well thanks to genetics, my teeth are actually pretty damn good. No root canals as of yet, no cavities in several years... slightly stained but you get that with any caffiene beverage (coffee, tea, soda).
Justcub

Postby Justcub » Tue May 01, 2007 9:39 pm

mrak wrote:
aaron wrote:This is like lamenting the closure of a solitary PDQ or Walgreens. (Walk another 10 feet and there will be another one.)

Among a handful of people I know, Kwik Trip inspires a weird amount of loyalty. It can't be the massive beverage fountain, where they encourage you (via a recent ad campaign) to make your own soda mash-ups. (Um... blecch!)

My best guess is that it has something to do with their presence in so many small towns in the area. (Drive to Platteville on 151, and you'll find one in every town of at least about 2,000.) Gives people who moved here from the hinterlands something familiar.

Who knows? I grew up near plenty of them, but I don't feel the need to seek them out here in Madison.

Maybe it's the no-fee ATMs. Now those rock.

I actually didnt grow up in WI or MN, I grew up in The Chicago Burbs...I only found the KwikTrip after I moved to Madison, but as stated in a previous post I went there because it was actually not just for the soda (although once I found they had it, it kept me coming back) but it was more it was the easiest to actually get into and out of Trafficwide, it was on a corner with a traffic signal...anyways
Yes I saw the signs and new pumps today..it is going to be a Mobil Station...what I am wondering now is that Kelley's Markets are Mobil stations and there isnt a Kelley's on that stretch of road or in this general neighborhood, so maybe it will be a Kelleys as opposed to just a Mobil.
Justcub

Postby WhateverToTheMax » Tue May 01, 2007 10:41 pm

I, too, love Kwik Trips. They always had the cheapest stuff (candy, smokes, etc.). The closest one to me is in McFarland (not that far down 51). I wish there were more in Madison. PDQs and Mobils are okay, but ya gotta love the KT.
WhateverToTheMax

Postby Frank Booth » Tue May 01, 2007 11:55 pm

white_rabbit wrote:...banana's & milk? I could understand if the name of the gas station was Kwik Trik, but shouldn't banana's & milk be better associated with this convenience store chain...???

Had some friends from Iowa who liked to rename the common gas station in those parts. "Ejaculate and Evacuate" was the one I remember best.
Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed May 02, 2007 6:27 am

white_rabbit wrote:...banana's & milk? I could understand if the name of the gas station was Kwik Trik, but shouldn't banana's & milk be better associated with this convenience store chain...???

That's a good one, but I still think the finest name ever for a convenience store is Pump-n-Munch.

(There's one located just across the river from Kwik Trip's home town, in La Crescent, Minnesota.)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Wed May 02, 2007 7:43 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Just thinking about 60 oz of soda is making me ill. And the fact that someone might drink that quantity before it got warm? :shock:

My response as well. Consider that they have done you a favor by changing your diet for you.

Check it out, you might have already lost 10 lbs.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed May 02, 2007 9:32 pm

Justcub wrote: At KwikTrip though a 60oz MegaBuddy is only 1.15 (if you reuse and refill your cup after an intial purchase of 1.42)

Please tell me that you wash it between uses, not just leave it on the floor of your car.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed May 02, 2007 9:42 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Justcub wrote: At KwikTrip though a 60oz MegaBuddy is only 1.15 (if you reuse and refill your cup after an intial purchase of 1.42)

Please tell me that you wash it between uses, not just leave it on the floor of your car.

Oh, don't worry. All the bubbly action of the soda kills all the bad stuff. Just like Alka-Seltzer.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed May 16, 2007 12:02 pm

Just read Lisa Subeck's blog and found out the Mobil is applying for beer and liquor licenses.

This would be a really bad thing IMHO. Read Lisa's blog for more info.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 pm

I love the "Wa Wa" markets in PA and So Jersey
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby burstingsun » Wed May 16, 2007 3:32 pm

bluethedog wrote:Just read Lisa Subeck's blog and found out the Mobil is applying for beer and liquor licenses.

This would be a really bad thing IMHO. Read Lisa's blog for more info.

A number of neighbors have now contacted our alder about this, but his opinion doesn't seem to be budging. While I'm not entirely surprised, I am disappointed. This really is a big deal for our neighborhood.

If you live in the area, blue (or anyone else), send Jed an email asking him not to support the license and/or come to the ALRC hearing tonight at 5:30 at the City County Building (It's on the GR level but not sure the room number -- maybe GR22 or GR24?)
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby burstingsun » Thu May 17, 2007 1:44 am

The ALRC has referred the issue to its next meeting meaning it won't actually make a recommendation until June. More here.
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All