MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
jamesmadisonpark
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

"Women and Children First" still in practice??

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

"Women and Children First" still in practice??

Postby universitylad » Mon May 14, 2007 7:00 pm

http://blog.lipcon.com/2007/04/temecula ... t_shi.html

Diane Munday was separated from her husband for about half an hour as the evacuation call for "women and children first" was given.

"It was like 'Titanic,'" she said. "But we were all pretty cool, though my heart got pounding a bit."

This part of an article about recent sinking cruise ship shocked me a little. I've never been on a cruise, but I would have assumed that the "women-first" evacuations went out of favor years ago.

Has anyone been on a cruise ship recently? Is this subject addressed during the evacuation drills? I'm not sure I would want to spend my money on with a cruise company that valued a woman's life over mine just because of her gender.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 14, 2007 7:08 pm

You only worry about gender. What about the children who get to the lifeboats before you do?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Mon May 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:You only worry about gender. What about the children who get to the lifeboats before you do?

Seriously, I would not be opposed to letting a family with a child in a boat before me..but why separate a man from the rest of his family.

It sounds like the couple mentioned in the article did not any children with them...why should she be allowed to go before him? What would make the life this likely middle aged married women more valuable than that of a thirty year old guy who has yet to be married (mine)?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby northwoods_babe » Mon May 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Why should a woman's paycheck be less than a man's if she is doing the same work?

Why should a woman be passed over for a promotion because her employers fear she could become 'in the family way' now that she is married?

If you are worried about benevolent sexism coming back to bite you in the ass in the highly unlikely event you are ever stranded on a sinking ship, maybe you should start doing something to eliminate the second class status women have in pretty much every other situation.

Otherwise, boo fricking hoo.
northwoods_babe

Postby universitylad » Mon May 14, 2007 9:11 pm

northwoods_babe wrote:If you are worried about benevolent sexism coming back to bite you in the ass in the highly unlikely event you are ever stranded on a sinking ship, maybe you should start doing something to eliminate the second class status women have in pretty much every other situation.

Who said I am not?
I'm all for equality for all and do not support the second class status of anyone. Many women will try to work to eliminate sexism against women but will just say "boo fricking hoo" to sexism against men.
Last edited by universitylad on Mon May 14, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon May 14, 2007 9:14 pm

northwoods_babe wrote:...maybe you should start doing something to eliminate the second class status women have in pretty much every other situation.

But first do something to eliminate the second class status single people have in pretty much every other situation.

Why is it okay for a married person to get out of working a weekend because little Johnny snot-nose has a soccer tournament but not ok for a single person because they want to get drunk and play golf. It's bullshit. And while we're at it, why does it almost always have to be the mother that goes to get the sick kid from school? Are the dads that incompetent?

Most single people put up with this crap because they'll eventually get the "married" status benefits. But not all of us ever get there.

Oh, and back to the original question, chivalry ain't dead.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby northwoods_babe » Mon May 14, 2007 10:52 pm

universitylad wrote:Many women will try to work to eliminate sexism against women but will just say "boo fricking hoo" to sexism against men.

Sexism against men?

Is that like racism against whites?
northwoods_babe

Postby aaronetc » Mon May 14, 2007 10:56 pm

bluethedog wrote:Most single people put up with this crap because they'll eventually get the "married" status benefits. But not all of us ever get there.

Neither of the "benefits" you mentioned derive from marriage.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon May 14, 2007 11:30 pm

Why does University Lad sound like he belongs on the Madison.com forums?

Forons here, Morons there.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby lonesomejohnny » Tue May 15, 2007 1:00 am

There's a fucking code of the sea at work here, that some people just dont understand. Here's a couple rules:

1. Whatever the captain says, goes. If the guy in the back of the canoe tells you to paddle hard on the right, respond with the most vigorous J-stroke imaginable, not with, "You dont have to shout." He's the captain, and he knows better than you what that submerged tree will do to a boat full of drunks and camping gear. Likewise, dont put the anchor down unless the captain says; dont pull the anchor up unless the captain says, and dont say "you never told me to pull the anchor up" when the captain never told you to put it down in the first place!

2. Dont fuck around at the launch. Dont Shit your dog and wash it's ass with your hand on the ramp (Seriously, I saw this happen at tenney on saturday). Dont haul out with the boat unhooked (duh, but how many times does a boat roll off the trailer?) and DONT DRIVE YOUR CAR AROUND THE LAUNCH IF YOU AREN'T LAUNCHING A BOAT!

3. If at all possible, DONT MAKE WOMEN AND CHILDREN DIE A FREEZING, WATERY DEATH because you think that your shopaholic, ceiling tile observing, lilly white flaky ass deserves to live as much as something young, unspoiled, and/or beautiful.

In times of likely peril its a man's lot in life to forfeit himself to the ravages and chances of the treacherous sea rather than take the place of a child or woman among the living. It is undeserved, and there is no place for a man of this sort on the high seas. Would you really sit there in the lifeboat, thinking to yourself, "I'm sure glad that woman and child drowned so that I can prolong my miserable life of patronizing new retail establishments and coating my soft, girlish skin with fine lotions and ointments?"
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 15, 2007 9:10 am

universitylad wrote:Seriously, I would not be opposed to letting a family with a child in a boat before me..but why separate a man from the rest of his family.

Because that's just how it is, you HUUUUGE fucking pussy.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 15, 2007 9:21 am

Actually, I took a cruise a few years ago and there was exactly ZERO mention of this "rule."

Fact: there are enough life boats for everyone.

You are evacuated by deck, not by gender.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue May 15, 2007 9:35 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:You are evacuated by deck, not by gender.

Sure, but they always evacuate the deck with the hot chicks before the other decks. Everybody knows this but nobody talks about it.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue May 15, 2007 10:39 am

Van Halen saz "women and children first".
End of story
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Tue May 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Actually, I took a cruise a few years ago and there was exactly ZERO mention of this "rule."

Fact: there are enough life boats for everyone.

You are evacuated by deck, not by gender.

Which cruise ship company did you use?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All