MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Which is the nicest dog park in Madison?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Which is the nicest dog park in Madison?

Postby universitylad » Mon May 28, 2007 5:13 pm

I have relatives visiting in a few weeks with their dog. Which is the nicest dog park in the Madison area for Fido?

Which park do you like the best and why? What are the amenities at the various parks?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon May 28, 2007 6:30 pm

Need more info.

About the dog:

- what kind?
- Hold old?
- does it like to swim?
- does it get along with other dogs (answer must be yes)

About the people:

- where are they staying?
- how far do they want to go?
- will they have a car ?
- how much are they able / do they want to walk?
- how many times a day do they want to go?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Mon May 28, 2007 6:39 pm

It is a one year old Wheaton Terrier spayed female that gets along with other dogs. I'm not sure if it can swim--I don't think it's ever tried. Its hair is trimmed to the breed standard.

My relatives with be staying on the near west side near Borders west and will have access to a car. They are a late twenty something couple who are able to walk. They would likely go once per day.

bluethedog wrote:Need more info.

About the dog:

- what kind?
- Hold old?
- does it like to swim?
- does it get along with other dogs (answer must be yes)

About the people:

- where are they staying?
- how far do they want to go?
- will they have a car ?
- how much are they able / do they want to walk?
- how many times a day do they want to go?

Last edited by universitylad on Mon May 28, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 28, 2007 6:59 pm

I'd be careful taking that one out in public. Certainly doesn't look like a dog Michael Vick would bet on to win.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 pm

universitylad wrote:Its hair is trimmed to the breed standard.

Is there some kind of dog haircut requirements at Madison dog parks that I am unaware of?
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lynne » Mon May 28, 2007 9:36 pm

Indian Lake is my favorite, because it's very pretty and usually not very crowded, but that's not exactly 'in Madison.' There's a decent off-leash area, and also some on-leash trails.

Cherokee Marsh is nice. The main swimming area is pretty rocky, so you end up with a wet dog, but not a terribly muddy dog. It's usually not too crowded, and close to home. I have no experience of any west-side parks to compare to, though.
Lynne
Forum Addict

Postby shelly » Tue May 29, 2007 8:55 am

The dog park in Verona is fantastic, but it is usually full or large dogs, it seems sometimes that the little dogs get overwhelmed. It is 30 some acres in a "rural" setting, with rolling hills, trees, and nice views. I am not sure they would want to go there everyday since it is a bit out of the way.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Tue May 29, 2007 10:01 am

Quann park by the coliseum might be the closest. Not much to see there but it's all fenced in. Not sure if there's any drinking water available for the dogs.

Verona is not crowded on weekdays. Even when it is crowded, it's fine. If your realtives like to hike this is the one to go to. It's all fenced in. There is no water so they will need to bring water for the dog.

If the dog likes to swim, Cherokee Marsh has a nice deck with a ramp going right into the water.

Verona has poop bags available at the park, I think the others probably would too, but they should bring some along just in case.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue May 29, 2007 10:20 am

Am I the only one who is only seeing the back half of the dog in U lad's picture? Of course that's the only part my dog would be interested in. I stopped going to dog parks because my one dog mounts everything in sight (well....dogs that is). He's fixed so I assume it's a dominance thing, but some of the more uptight folks at the parks get upset.

From your location I guess I would recommend Quann also. It's not a dog park but picnic point is pretty dog-friendly I've been told.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 29, 2007 11:02 am

narcoleptish wrote:Am I the only one who is only seeing the back half of the dog in U lad's picture?

Click to expand your mind! and the picture.

FWIW, I like Token Creek quite a bit, but it's a bit remote, so probably not germane to this discussion.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Tue May 29, 2007 11:06 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Am I the only one who is only seeing the back half of the dog in U lad's picture?

Click to expand your mind! and the picture.

Ah!!! What's the blue thingy in the background?
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue May 29, 2007 11:25 am

Lynne wrote:Cherokee Marsh is nice. The main swimming area is pretty rocky, so you end up with a wet dog, but not a terribly muddy dog.

Everytime I take my dogs to Cherokee, they come back super muddy. Are we talking about the same Cherokee Marsh off of Northport and Hwy. M?

But then again my dogs avoid the pier and head straight towards the swampy areas.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lynne » Tue May 29, 2007 12:17 pm

juanton wrote:Everytime I take my dogs to Cherokee, they come back super muddy. Are we talking about the same Cherokee Marsh off of Northport and Hwy. M?

But then again my dogs avoid the pier and head straight towards the swampy areas.

It seems much less muddy there than at Warner. At Warner, there's that spot at the back entrance that's pure mud that the dogs seem to find irresistible. I guess I just haven't found the super muddy parts at Cherokee.
Lynne
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Tue May 29, 2007 1:06 pm

There is also the Sun Prairie dog park off of Bird for those moments when your house guests feel like being on the oppoosite of the Dane County as you and vice versa.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby curiouslystrong » Tue May 29, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm a big fan of Warner. But mostly because I live on the near-East side.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Catch All