MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Real Estate Agent?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Real Estate Agent?

Postby utopia » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:56 am

Anyone have any recommendations for a real estate agent (buying - not selling)?
utopia

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:32 am

Before you make a decision, check out the FSBO thread.
With all the options out there of finding a home you want (i.e., wisconsinhomes.com, FSBOmadisn.com), you really don't need an agent to find a home for you.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:41 am

aaron wrote:you really don't need an agent to find a home for you

That's an overly broad and somewhat dangerous statement. I'd never recommend that someone not get an agent, even if you plan on buying a FSBO home.

I bought a home from the FSBO site last year and found that my agent was extremely helpful in tying up the inevitable loose ends associated with buying a house from people doing it themselves. I also wasn't interested in making home buying a full-time job (it's already a part-time one) and she was very thorough about lining up inspections, calling our attention to the numerous deadlines along the way, etc.

We worked with Liz Lauer's office, Kim Nemachek in particular. Kim's a good friend, but that office has a lot of experience dealing with first-time buyers and sellers, so I think it was a good fit.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:15 am

I worked with Anna Trull a couple of years ago when I was a first-time buyer and was very happy with her work.Friends have also worked with her and have had positive experiences.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:33 am

jjoyce wrote:I bought a home from the FSBO site last year and found that my agent was extremely helpful in tying up the inevitable loose ends associated with buying a house from people doing it themselves. I also wasn't interested in making home buying a full-time job (it's already a part-time one) and she was very thorough about lining up inspections, calling our attention to the numerous deadlines along the way, etc.

What percentage commission did you pay to the agent? Since you found the house, I'm curious if you still paid the full amount or a reduced amount.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:37 am

It's more of a fee, and we negotiated it with the sellers. We basically paid the asking price for the house, but they paid our realtor's fee.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:51 am

Learned wrote:I worked with Anna Trull a couple of years ago when I was a first-time buyer and was very happy with her work.Friends have also worked with her and have had positive experiences.

Ditto here. She's great with first-timers.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:10 am

jjoyce wrote:I'd never recommend that someone not get an agent, even if you plan on buying a FSBO home.

Agreed. It may be one thing to fly solo if you're an experienced home buyer, but I'd suggest a first-timer would be nuts to navigate those waters alone. My wife and I bought an FSBO home and when it was all said and done our agent was well worth the commission she earned.

We worked with Liz Lauer's office ...

As did we. I've recommended Liz to maybe a half-dozen friends in the market, and every one of them had a great experience with her. Her office moves a lot of real estate (I believe she was/is Restaino's #1 in sales several years running), but doesn't slack when it comes to offering advice and support to folks on a budget looking for a starter home or whatever.

Highly, highly recommended. Despite that I'd now feel far more comfortable with the whole process having been through it, if I were to start looking for a new home, I'd hire Liz (or either of her partners) again in a heartbeat.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:30 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's more of a fee, and we negotiated it with the sellers. We basically paid the asking price for the house, but they paid our realtor's fee.

In many cases if the house is being sold by an agency (not FSBO) the buyer and seller agents will split the 6% commission.

But even if buying a FSBO I could not imagine doing it on your own as a first timer unless you are educating yourself for many more to come.

I feel I saved lots of money in advice from the buyer agent I went with. Not to mention I doubt I would have found a house as nice as I bought in my price range without the buyer agent really going the extra mile. Gave me advice on everything, saved me money on a very thorough home inspection, no lawyer fees, no big monetary mistakes as many make when they don't know the routine of making offers, counter offers, getting things fixed that home inspector spotted, etc. Kind of a nice insurance policy too when you are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of borrowed money to not put yourself in a position for a very expensive f*ck up.

I went with Andy from Restino Bunbury. Not sure if he's still around, but overall a pretty reputable company.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Who needs a Realtor

Postby Thickovet » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:42 pm

I read the same NYT article but came away with a different conclusion: The listing agent could be superfluous but a Buyers Agent is a definite plus. Esp. with a FSBO...the article said the FSBO houses sold for $2000 more than listed houses. And on FSBOMadison, it seems that lots of sellers offer to pay the Buyers Agent. Sounds like a win/win for me as a buyer. I used Paul Anderson who was on his own and couldn't have been happier. He found the house and guided me thru the process from stem to stern. I think he is with one of the big firms now. Stark?
Thickovet

Postby cute hat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:23 am

I like Ben Anton. He's cool. Helped me find a condo for my mother.

http://www.antonhomes.com/donate.htm
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

I recommend Matt Costello of Keller Williams

Postby NixonsHenchman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:44 am

We worked with Matt Costello of Keller Williams. He's the BEST!!!
NixonsHenchman

Re: Real Estate Agent?

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:04 am

I know I'm going against the grain here, but I'd recommend avoiding signing with a buyer's agent if at all possible. A Buyers agent is still tying to sell you a house and at the end of the day is not working for you. They're getting paid by moving that product as quickly as possible.

Before I take too much flack, I know there are really good agents out there who do look out for their customers -- and if you feel more comfortable having someone else take the reigns for this kind of purchase I'd understand. But in the most strongly worded way possible, I'd highly recommend hiring a real estate attorney. It will cost you between $1500 - $2000 on average which will probably be about the same or less than your buyers agent would make off the sale of the house.

An attorney doesn't give a crap about the house you want to buy, and I mean that in the best way possible (chances are they'll never see it). All the things that an agent does to get you into your dream house, the attorney doesn't even consider. Haul you around in their Camery all day? Not at $200 an hour. Location? who cares. The gorgeous kitchen? Not interested. The great crib nook in the master bedroom? They could give a hoot. What they do is protect you --their client, from getting screwed. They'll tear into home inspections, survey work, liens, 2nd mortgages, and taxes like the incredible hulk through a phone book. And when they help you write your first offer, they won't play the: "well, you want to show this seller that you're very serious so I'd recommend allowing a little wiggle room in the percentage you'd take on your mortgage" bullshit. It's your way or the highway every time you put something in writing and you'll have the confidence of knowing that if things do go south, you'll have the law on your side.

Anyway, I'm gonna cut this rant short. Hire an attorney. They're not your "friend" helping you find the perfect house. They're the pitbull you pay to protect the hundreds of thousands of dollars and 30 years of your life attached to that new home.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 am

Bad buyer's agent experience? Or were you just perusing all the 6 year old threads?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:14 am

Good advice. I understand people buying for the first time have an understandable desire for some hand-holding. That said, first-time buyers tend to be more suggestible, and have less in the way of financial resources. It is when we are at our most vulnerable.

I've been through the process and purchased houses 3 times, and the only one I wish I'd have handled differently was that first one. And I worked with a realtor on that one.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All