MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Aargh! Why the F&%$#@K are they stopping?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Aargh! Why the F&%$#@K are they stopping?

Postby chance » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:53 am

I bike the Southwest Bike Path to and from work. Street crossings along it include Commonwealth, Glenway, Odana, and Midvale. At each one of these crossings, there are STOP signs for the bike traffic on the bike paths, and there are not STOP signs for the auto traffic on the streets. Still, on a regular basis, cars pull up to these crossings and stop dead when they see bikes, inviting the bikers to cross the street in front of them.

Good intentions notwithstanding, do these idiots realize how unsafe this is??

One major problem is, that these drivers are inviting bikers to cross the street when the drivers can't guarantee that drivers coming the other way will also stop for the bikers. Frequently, in these cases, that other traffic doesn’t stop -- the drivers coming the other way just fly on through. This is a particular problem at the Glenway crossing, where westbound cars come flying up Glenway (almost always speeding), arriving at the crest of the hill (where the bike path is) relatively quickly after they first become visible to a waiting biker. The fact that an eastbound car is stopped and waiting does not automatically make it “safeâ€Â
chance
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:57 am

I have a similare problem, as a pedestrian, crossing on Webster, from GEF2, over to Argus. The car closest to me will stop, thinking I will cross. But if the next two lanes keep on racing, I don't like to assume, they'll stop like wise. When the light changes down by Great Dane, there's usually a little break.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:22 pm

i think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with the bike path thing. i bike the same route as you every day, and have never encountered a situation anything more than slightly awkward.
one thing that might help your issues would be if there was a way to make the cars aware that the bikers have stop signs. that's not obvious from their vantage point.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Avoid eye contact. In fact, look the other way.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:29 pm

On a related note, to all you bikers who self-righteously yell at cars trying to pull out of the Machinery Row parking lot: if you're headed west on the bike path, YOU have a yield sign. So slow down and shut the fuck up. That intersection is a smelly mess, no need to add your stinky sanctimony to the pile. I'm always on foot at that intersection, not in a car, and you still bug the crap out of me.

(Sorry for the tangent, chance. I feel your pain... as Bwis said, cars around the Square do it for pedestrians all the time. In that case it's the law, I guess, but it's also retarded.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm with chance. This really gets my technical shorts in a knot, especially at Glenway and again at Midvale where there are two lanes on either side. A number of times I've thought about starting a thread about this, but I've been too mad to make any sense at the time. The "nice" drivers put bicyclists in danger and then make us feel like we should be thankful for it. Gir!

Dear "nice" drivers, you would be nicer if you learned to read road signs.

It's a caution. Not a stop. What if you stopped every time you saw a sign with a picture of a deer on it? That'd be fun on I-39.

Whew. Pent-up rant there. Sorry I blew up.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:54 pm

I don't think it counts as a blow-up if there aren't any swears.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:13 pm

I guess you're right, Duca. That was pretty fucking tame.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:17 pm

Ducatista wrote:I don't think it counts as a blow-up if there aren't any swears.

It's also loaded with punctuation and the paragraphs are clearly defined, so it doesn't qualify as a rant either.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:11 pm

Two squirt guns, one full of ketchup, one full of mustard.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:49 pm

I agree, they put us bikers in danger with their good intentions.

Just flip 'em those wanna-be do-gooders the bird. They'll vow never to "help out" bicyclists again.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:58 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Just flip 'em those wanna-be do-gooders the bird. They'll vow never to "help out" bicyclists again.

How about refusing to cross and waving the car driver through? That would reduce the risk of an easily explosive hot head from deciding to gun it and taking out a spandex-wearing bikie rider with his middle finger waving in the air.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:01 pm

Same thing on the east side where the bike path crosses Fair Oaks. I am so glad to know someone agrees with me -- I thought I was being a turd for not appreciating these pathologically over-helpful drivers.

I always pretend I need to take a drink of water and start fiddling with my water bottle. The second they get moving again I quit and get back into "ready" position, hoping they'll get the point. I know, that sounds hopelessly passive-aggressive.

In addition to the safety hazards other people described, I think the biggest safety hazard is inexperienced, aggressive bikers will start thinking EVERYONE is going to stop, or even thinking everyone is SUPPOSED to stop regardless of the signage. Not true.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:08 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:

How about refusing to cross and waving the car driver through? That would reduce the risk of an easily explosive hot head from deciding to gun it and taking out a spandex-wearing bikie rider with his middle finger waving in the air.

OK, I'm riding on the SW bike path yesterday afternoon, about 5:23 PM, and I'm stopped at the Glenway intersection and this car comes to a stop to let me pass.

Me: Hey farm people, can't you see I'm the one who's got the stop sign.

Rube: It's attitudes like that why the rest of the state hates Madison.

Me: It's behavior like this why Madison hates the rest of the state.

Rube: Fuck you.

Me: Thank you, now leave.

I hate it when they stop short.
Last edited by Oprah on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:41 pm

I didn't realize there were so many farm people peddling aroung Madison doing obnoxious things like obeying the stop signs and flashing red hands. How dare they infiltrate our city! Fuckers.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All