MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

How is being a freeloader making a statement?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

How is being a freeloader making a statement?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:37 am

Dumpster diving: 'Freegans' and others survive on society's refuse

First, I think it's fine that some are willing to glean or otherwise benefit from society's refuse. But let's not start making this more than it is, which is basically living life as a scavenger. When the kid who is caring for his grandparents (and living on their dime) says he would otherwise be squatting, he's completely full of crap.

But you've gotta like the spirit of people who think that their personal practice of scavenging is somehow as noble as farming. That's quite an imagination at work.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:29 am

I bet that guy is totally into the idea of a single payer healthcare system. Why not try to get his healthcare for free? He is getting everything else for free.

As long as people like this are not spreading around diseases, leaving a mess after they pick through the garbage, sleeping in my back yard under the bushes, or harassing people who catch them dumpster diving... Go for it, its better than letting things go to waste. Seeing people like this walk around on the east side reminds me how free the USA really is and why Capitalism’s excess allows lifestyles like this to exist (the punk points this out). How many people like this could survive in Cairo or Tijuana? But, this kind of "fuck-off everyone" lifestyle, as seen on Willy St everyday, seems pathetic, immature, and weak.

Why are we paying farmers to grow more crops again? This guy's lifestyle clearly points out how much excess food is on the market these days due to government mandated price controls which encourage farmers to grow more than is necessary.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:27 am

Dumpster diving was big in the punk 80s. The detritus of a dog day gone by was especially rich behind Rocky's on State.

But even my scummiest punk friends, who lived in filth, ferrets, and decaying government cheese, couldn't do this for long and all got jobs cooking your pizza (enjoy)!
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:21 pm

I'd rather see someone be a "slacker" for awhile, rather than standing on the sidewalk with a cup.

I like the folk, who are singing, playing or doing something, for their supper.

Dumpsters are not the first thing I'd be thinking of, to stock a soup kitchen or food pantry.

This stuff is just another thing that makes me think of meaningful life or authentic life. I'm glad we didn't force our boys to keep their first job from hell!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How is being a freeloader making a statement?

Postby mrs. mcdonell » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:07 pm

jjoyce wrote:But you've gotta like the spirit of people who think that their personal practice of scavenging is somehow as noble as farming. That's quite an imagination at work.

They should meet these people.
mrs. mcdonell
Forum Addict

Re: How is being a freeloader making a statement?

Postby cxl01 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:55 pm

mrs. mcdonell wrote:They should meet these people.

I would try directly offering the leftovers to a homeless person first before just leaving it on the trash can. If nobody picked it up right away the wind would probably blow it into the street, wrapper and all.

I used to do that when I lived in Milwaukee, and people were happy to take the food. If nobody was around I left the food on the ground next to a trash can.

However in Madison, sometimes good intentions can have a different outcome. A couple of years ago, I saw a college student on State Street offer a panhandler some extra tacos he had leftover from some place like Qdoba. The panhandler (who was holding a sign saying he was panhandling for food) wasn't too eager for the handout. He only took it after the college student assured him it was vegetarian.

It was almost like a scene from a Seinfeld episode.
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All