MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Cover letter site/examples?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Cover letter site/examples?

Postby Paco » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:44 am

Anyone know a good website for looking at examples of cover letters? I need to write one and mail it out before friday morn. Haven't written one in eons.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:22 am

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:57 am

I've read and tossed hundreds of shitty cover letters over the years, and read and written a few good ones. My unsolicited advice:

Do your homework about the company and the recipient. Tailor your letter to the specific position, but don't push it too far. Our job ads are pretty loose and informal, written in the company voice. I get a lot of letters that try to match that style or work in a specific phrase from the job listing. That can be a good thing, but it's a definite turn-off if it sounds forced.

Keep your letter as short and simple as possible. Edit, edit, and edit some more. Repeat.

Give your written voice a critical listen. I like a tone that's just slightly more formal than conversational. You want to sound confident and genuine, but still respectful.

I love it when people say "I'm seeking a position that will further my blah blah blah...", like I give a shit. What will hiring you do for me?

Use online samples as a starter, sure. But be sure to change up your letter enough to cover your tracks. For me, any letter that sounds canned goes straight to the trash. Execution is far more important than form, anyway. Guidelines that dictate which paragraph should contain what info are lame, IMO.

Have someone you trust proof your letter for spelling, grammar, and tone. If you that's not possible, proof the hell out of it yourself. But do get another set of eyes on it if you can.

Good luck!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:47 pm

Ducatista wrote:If you that's not possible, proof the hell out of it yourself.

I miss the little green pen.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:What will hiring you do for me?

The letter should be tailored for this question.
Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:21 pm

A lot of places don't like it when you say you're not interested in "advancement". (They want to hear that you'll do anything for the corporation.) Some even make it a requirement in their job description. M&I does that for some of their positions.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:56 pm

tibor wrote:I miss the little green pen.

Heh, smart guy.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Don't mention personal stuff. this should be obvious, but isn't. keep this up in the interview.

abandon the passive voice as often as possible. (am is were)

make the letter re-group the info on your resume. if the resume is a chronological listing, the letter can present groupings of skills (one paragraph states- "I budgeted at A, F, and G", another explains "I managed lowlifes at B,D, and G").

hey and if anyone is writing letters for teaching jobs consider these two main points i force upon my student teachers-

- its not about you, your philosophy and dreams; its about what you do for students & student achievement
-the letter obliquely refers to how you will make administrators lives easier. they are the ones hiring you, not the other people in your field nor students.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All