MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

why craigslist rocks my world

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

why craigslist rocks my world

Postby nickled&dimed » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:18 pm

summer is almost over, and i had all this crap that i meant to sell on ebay and didn't.
I didn't feel like listing it all, nor did I have the time.

Clicking through the barter section on craigslist, i decided to unload it in one fell swoop.

3 old mac computers-
ibook with a delicate screen
g4 sawtooth
candy imac

all had os 10.3.9, all had been rescued from thrift stores and garage sales by yours truly, and then doctored updated and new parts added. expense- $120 total

then i added 4 stereo components yamaha, NAD, and a dvd player and a marantz cd player. all second hand, checked, and tidied- total cost- $15.

a crate & barrel coffee table i bough on impulse from ebay but way too big. $50.

In return for this loot that i cursed and tripped over every day i asked for: 3 rooms painted, and a light fixture and medicine cabinet installed.

I got 18 replies- from high school yahoos and a number of contractors.

In 2 days (a week apart) it was done. my worthless (to me) junk is gone, 3 rooms are professionally painted, and my bathroom is a little less scary.

I guess if a contractor has a day with no work scheduled, its money down the tubes, and barter is better than sitting on one's hands.

It was kind of scary and risky, but now i'm thrilled.

I'm buying every old mac i see so i can re-tile my whole bathroom, get a new shed, people will do anything for these things.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Sounds like you could start with a paper clip and end up with a new house!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: why craigslist rocks my world

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:52 pm

nickled&dimed wrote:In 2 days (a week apart) it was done. my worthless (to me) junk is gone, 3 rooms are professionally painted, and my bathroom is a little less scary.

Hmm, 3 rooms in two days? Painted, yes, but I suspect clearly not professionally painted. How extensive was the patching, sanding, and priming? (Sanding between coats?) Can you see defects when a spotlight is angled against the surfaces? Is there a smooth orange-peel surface on the walls, and a baby's-butt smoothness to the trim? Are there any visible cracks or gaps in corners or where wall meets trim? Were the rooms clean and dust-free when finished?

Seems doubtful. But I hear ya re old Macs. Solid hardware overall, display wiring excepted. Excellent for sturdy local servers, with all the robustness you might expect in a unix/linux environment.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:32 am

no this is what he does for a living. the first day he had his son ( 18 ) and another kid he hires with him. I said the ceilings in my bedroom didn't need it, but he said they did.

my living room was a sick ass green, that required 2 coats of the taupey color i picked to cover it. the previous owner left roller marks and drips because she was an idiot.

the transition b/w the LR and hallway had a terrible patch job. it looked like a taped corner of a box, not a flat ceiling. now it is slightly bowed but pretty seamless. he came back to the bedroom to touch up the cut lines. he didn't tape, because he didn't need to.

my woodwork doesn't have any paint on it.he was tidy

he spent plenty of time patching more things than we agreed upon. the clean up could have been better, but you know, I don't expect red carpet treatment for a barter- it's more like a peer thing than a "you must serve me" thing
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:00 am

I would want you for my friend when the world economy collapses.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:40 pm

ah sno, you have no idea. I'm a terrible scavenger. from back when it wasn't cool- not "recycling" but "pathetically cheap".

i see it as a sport.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:35 pm

So do I, and I am good on the "intake" part but not so on the "exchange" side.

When I moved out of my home of 30 years last summer, I took dozens of carloads to St. Vincents. Finally I called their pickup service and let them do the heavy lifting and carry the last of it out of my garage. I am sure they made hundreds and hundreds of dollars off me -- I actually recognized some of my donations several weeks later at a downtown shabby-chic store. I was happy to support Port St. Vincent and their other charities so that was all good. What were trash finds from 30 years ago are worth good dollars today -- I had some great early 50's lamps and light fixtures, for instance.

I used to buy and sell a bit, but never made much. I just don't have the deal-maker mentality. Trading trash bins is about as complex as I can go.

I shoulda called you!

The good thing is, my place now looks like a Zen monastery and it's staying that way. I'm done.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:49 pm

i will be there one day sno. just not yet. yes, i have a lot coming in, but i am trying to get it out all the time.

before the big barter, i had a summer long project. i sold off all of my 5o's 60's and 70's mod that I've been picking up over the years. nice, even collector, but mismatched and scuffed. as i collected the money in a little cash wad in my drawer, i would slowly replace with really nice, simple well made stuff from room and board. but of course, not from the store. from upscale folks on the 41st floor of a high rise posting on CL desperately trying to sell big furniture days before moving.

I spent very little money out of pocket, and everything matches, with just enough quirky odd pieces to not be boring. i went with fewer bigger things, so there's less clutter.

but i have kids, and kids = clutter.

but that is a whole nother thread i may start. has anyone else bartered stuff?
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:56 pm

Their personals section hasn't worked for me...yet.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:44 pm

I haven't bartered, but I have purchased stuff off of Craigslist. I'd been hunting for a particular lens and was prepared to go the eBay route, but lo and behold, another local photog listed his, and I snagged it for about $100 cheaper than I would have gotten elsewhere, with the added benefit of not having to worry about shipping or scams or busted equipment.
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All