MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Driving while under the influence of cell phone

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby Wet_Pavement » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:13 am

Twofer4 wrote:So become a police officer and show them all the ways they aren't fulfilling their duties, in your eyes.

Or, perhaps, you could just drive around honking at anyone using a cell phone while driving.

The first would take too long.

I already do the second. I have an old hand held top half of an old rotary phone. Whenever I see someone driving while talking on their sleek new modern cell, I pull out my old rotary handset. I honk, veer wildly at them, and pretend to be talking on the handset while I simultaneously feign shoving it up my own ass.

It's political erotica at it's social theater best.
Last edited by Wet_Pavement on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:14 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:If the City of Madison or the State decided to ban cellphone usage while driving, it would be just another law that Madison police would not enforce.

I agree, it would be just another scoff law, but it could pay off the national debt, if it was fully enforced!

And what the hell is it with all that traffic from East Washington, going west, with half those idiots on the damn phone?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:24 am

Bwis53 wrote:
Wet_Pavement wrote:If the City of Madison or the State decided to ban cellphone usage while driving, it would be just another law that Madison police would not enforce.

I agree, it would be just another scoff law, but it could pay off the national debt, if it was fully enforced!

If they passed a law banning cellphone use while driving it would be used as a penalty enhancer for those who got into an accident while chatting on their phone.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:34 am

Here is what California is doing.

...a bill prohibiting anyone under 18 from using cell phones, pagers, text-messaging devices or other electronic gadgets while driving.

...(Another) bill that will require drivers 18 and over to use hands-free devices if they want to use cell phones behind the wheel.

The law that applies to teens goes a step further, Simitian said, because data show younger drivers are particularly prone to accidents caused by inattention.

He cited a recent American Automobile Association study in which close to 30 percent of teen respondents said they talk on cell phones or text-message while driving. The California Highway Patrol lists cell phone use as a top cause of accidents in the state.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:08 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:Just because I happen to recall the cycle speeding bragfest thread doesn't make me a virtual stalker. Just ribbing you a little.

Then you may recall I got summoned into that thread, and that top speed isn't my thang, anyway. S'OK, I like a good ribbing. My vibrator's got it...
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cogitator » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:14 am

lordofthecockrings wrote:do you take your vibrator on the road with you too?

I prefer to use a headset with my cellphone (and prefer not to use either while driving), but do not get in the middle of me and my vibrator. Not even if you're riding shotgun.
Cogitator

Postby TAsunder » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:37 am

Isn't it already illegal to manipulate your gps while driving? Mine has a huge safety precaution saying that you should only program it while the vehicle is stationary. I'm fairly certain it is illegal for there to be a video running in the vehicle that is visible to the driver, as Raxx pointed out that my stereo's dvd playing functions only work with a proper braking sequence.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Ducatista wrote:S'OK, I like a good ribbing. My vibrator's got it...

It's my contention that if God existed, the male organ would have it too.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:32 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:I thought my vibrator crack was pretty funny.

While I appreciate self-deprecating humor and a gyno-positive attitude as much as the next guy, I'm not sure I really want to hear about your vibrator crack.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby read to see the world » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:14 pm

I think making it illegal to drive while talking on the phone would help people to focus more on driving and less on what they’re talking about. But it’s not just people holding a cell phone in their hand that’s a problem. Hands-free headsets and On-Star lines through the rear view mirror are just as bad. The problem, ultimately, is not that people are holding a phone instead of having both hands on the wheel; the problem is that people are mentally distracted. I think if you make it illegal to talk on the phone, it needs to be on any sort of phone call. The problem with this is how to figure out who’s talking on the phone and not talking to someone else or singing to the radio?
read to see the world

Previous

Return to Catch All