Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

I need help with a mouse probelm

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

I need help with a mouse probelm

Postby yoyoyogurt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Hey Everyone
I need help with a mice problem. I'm on the second floor of an older building and have been having chronic problems with mice in our kitchen. We've set out bait, kept the kitchen clean, keep all our food covered and wrapped and the bastards keep coming back. We might go weeks without seeing them and then they'll suddenly be out and about. I need serious help. Has anyone used a pest control service with good results? Any other suggestions? I am done being a nice soft-hearted animal lover. I need these f***ers out of my house now.
yoyoyogurt

Postby Bruno » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Cat?
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:22 pm

You could try borrowing a cat for a few days. Sometimes if the mice figure out there is a predator around, they take off.

If you are on the second floor, the problem could be your downstairs neighbors are leaving food out, so even if you got a pest control service to come in, they would probably have to go through the neighbor's place too for it to be effective. Have you tried complaining to your landlord?
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby yoyoyogurt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:35 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:You could try borrowing a cat for a few days. Sometimes if the mice figure out there is a predator around, they take off.

If you are on the second floor, the problem could be your downstairs neighbors are leaving food out, so even if you got a pest control service to come in, they would probably have to go through the neighbor's place too for it to be effective. Have you tried complaining to your landlord?

Hi! Thanks for the replies so far. I have a dog and that makes no difference. The landlords have been pretty helpful putting out bait and patching up holes. But I need some defcon 2 type advice
yoyoyogurt

Re: I need help with a mouse probelm

Postby Oprah » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:07 pm

yoyoyogurt wrote:f***ers

I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat. Is it fenders?
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:18 pm

You need to get rid of the dog and get one of these...

Seriously. A few years back I lived in an older house with a prarie garden yard and it was like a mouse party central, until my little feline Sophia took out 7 of the dirty little bastards in two days. Word spread quickly that there was a new sheriff in town and after those first two days I didn't see a single mouse or dropping for the remainder of the two years I lived there.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby yoyoyogurt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:08 pm

Dear lord you guys are funny, I'm enjoying this. But seriously- unless someone has a robot cat that has magic rat poison-poops a cat is not an option in a house with my dog and poor allergic husband. Also- the neighbors cat is a beast and has killed mice/birds/squirrels in our yard. These are some ballsy mice and have no fear. Although they look like the sweet little mice from babe and it breaks my heart to viciously kills them. But they're trying to get at my nutella!
yoyoyogurt

Postby Oprah » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:49 pm

yoyoyogurt wrote:Dear lord you guys are funny, I'm enjoying this. But seriously- unless someone has a robot cat that has magic rat poison-poops a cat is not an option in a house with my dog and poor allergic husband. Also- the neighbors cat is a beast and has killed mice/birds/squirrels in our yard. These are some ballsy mice and have no fear. Although they look like the sweet little mice from babe and it breaks my heart to viciously kills them. But they're trying to get at my nutella!

Ditch the dog.
Ditch the hubby.
Get a cat.
Kill the mice.
Save the Nutella.
Mmmmmmm, Nutella.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

meeces to peeeces

Postby SLUDGEPUMPER » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:58 pm

There is a no poison alternative that 1,000 percent works and it's safe for everyone.It's a plug in system that costs around $30.00. It uses the homes existing wiring to send a signal out thru the ground wire thruout anywhere that is connected to the electrical system running thru walls etc.that mice and all kinds of other vermin hate. It's not a sonic device but it drives them out of their spots. I bought mine at Menards for $30.00. I've recommended it to about 5 or six people and they are amazed at how fast and long they stay away. I work for a low income weatherization program and we find a lot of infestations in Attics. We can't insulate until they are gone and so far it has worked for every client it's cheap and effective. I've had mine for about a year and a half and the only mice I've seen are away from the house!It'll take a couple of days for them to figure out the can't go anywhere in your house so you may see them more while they try to find a safe spot.Let me know how it works for you.
SLUDGEPUMPER
Forum Addict

Postby cxl01 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:32 am

I'd say ditch the Nutella. Or at least keep the lid on it and stop leaving it out! That stuff is a mouse magnet.
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:46 am

cxl01 wrote:I'd say ditch the Nutella. Or at least keep the lid on it and stop leaving it out! That stuff is a mouse magnet.

Frogs love it, too!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: meeces to peeeces

Postby Oprah » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:38 am

SLUDGEPUMPER wrote:There is a no poison alternative that 1,000 percent works and it's safe for everyone.

Holy shit, 1,000%!
Does that mean it kills all the mice in your house plus the mice in 10 other houses, or that it kills each mouse 10 times, or what?
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Re: meeces to peeeces

Postby SLUDGEPUMPER » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:44 pm

Oprah wrote:
SLUDGEPUMPER wrote:There is a no poison alternative that 1,000 percent works and it's safe for everyone.

Holy shit, 1,000%!
Does that mean it kills all the mice in your house plus the mice in 10 other houses, or that it kills each mouse 10 times, or what?

You got that right Oprah!!
No... it works really well I'm just impressed at how well it works. When I bought my house from the previous owner who was paying a pest control guy $60.00 a month to spray,traps and all the other crap. There was still at least 1 or 2 mice a day running across my living room floor. Now None anywhere!!for about a year and a half now. $30.00
SLUDGEPUMPER
Forum Addict

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:43 am

Oh my G-d, if I saw one in my living room I would not be able to sleep in my house anymore. :shock: I have a lot of garden, veggies and flowers, around my patio, and the little buggers have discovered it in the last year or so and found it quite to their liking. So far, mousetraps baited with PB have dispatched them, but I am really freaked at the thought of them eventually trying to get in the house. I would definitely get a cat then, my allergies be damned. UGH mice!!!! Our dog (rest in peace, Paisley) did not seem to scare them in the least, although he tried mightily to catch them outside, and they drove him crazy through the glass door.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:41 am

I woke up the other morning, with three spiders, on my ceiling, and a milipede, the size of a VW, in my bathtub. I had to kill before I peed, 'cause them buggers are fast! Time to check cobwebs and resprinkle the boric acid.There are special wipes, made to catch the dander, most people with cat alleries, have a problem with. Cats can help with bugs and flies also.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All