MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Do you get your money back if you're robbed?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Do you get your money back if you're robbed?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:42 am

Say someone holds you up at the ATM and makes you withdraw a few hundred bucks or whatever. Do you get that back? Does the bank cover it? What happens?

What about if someone steals your car and drives it into a telephone pole or something, thereby totaling it. Are you made whole, or are you simply S.O.L.?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:53 am

Whatever you're planning for this weekend, Jason, count me out.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:20 am

I know that if you're dumb enough to leave your old plate on a truck that you just sold to a guy who just might of had a couple of beers already, and who goes directly into the bar across the street after the transaction, and later on that evening takes the Iowa county cops on a high speed chase and ditches the truck and heads into the woods where the cops take after him with the dogs..... I know that in this situation that you, the owner of the plates, are suddenly wanted by the police.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do you get your money back if you're robbed?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:25 am

jjoyce wrote:Say someone holds you up at the ATM and makes you withdraw a few hundred bucks or whatever. Do you get that back? Does the bank cover it? What happens?

Once you take your money from the ATM, it's yours and the bank probably won't cover. Maybe a credit union might, but even then, they would want some proof that a robbery occurred.

jjoyce wrote:What about if someone steals your car and drives it into a telephone pole or something, thereby totaling it. Are you made whole, or are you simply S.O.L.?

If one's insurance doesn't cover it, you could sue the car thief, but that would be like trying to get blood out of a turnip.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:27 am

ATM scenario: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/cons ... c.htm#loss

If the thief is prosecuted for stealing your car, I bet the judge would order restitution as part of a sentence.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:58 am

This is something I've been thinking about lately, with the purse-snatchings and muggings, in the news lately. I'm more concerned about my life, credit cards and ID. Isn't there some kind of victim recovery organization? Can't remember the name of it.

I'm guessin' just like everything else, we're in New Orleans and they're not coming to save us.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:30 pm

Further, if someone passes you counterfeit currency, you are stuck with it. You won't get reimbursed if you take it to a bank and report it. You just lose.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Civil Court

Postby Blue » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:05 am

If you are wronged, you can sue. That's what the civil court system is for.

If you have insurance, they'll pay you and then sue on your behalf to get their money back. (If they think it's worth the effort.)

If you were the victim of a crime, and you get lucky, a criminal court judge will include restitution in the criminal sentence. That can save you the trouble of a civil suit. Also, the police may have taken your property into custody, which means that you will (probably, eventually) get it back.

Unfortunately, civil suits have a bad reputation right now because some people have been allowed to abuse the system. (What, you mean this coffee you served me is hot?) Most civil suits are perfectly reasonable.

P.S. No, I am not a lawyer[/list]
Blue

Re: Civil Court

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:21 am

Blue wrote:If you are wronged, you can sue. That's what the civil court system is for.

Maybe in small claims, because no lawyer will take a penny ante case. And even if you win, it might be difficult to collect. Many criminals don't have legit jobs where wages can be garnished.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Civil Court

Postby Blue » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Blue wrote:If you are wronged, you can sue. That's what the civil court system is for.

Maybe in small claims, because no lawyer will take a penny ante case. And even if you win, it might be difficult to collect. Many criminals don't have legit jobs where wages can be garnished.

You're right, of course.
I'm not claiming that you'll necessarily get your property back, just pointing out the basic legal structure for doing so. You might not know who is libel, if you find them you still might lose the case, and if you win you might not be able to collect.
Blue

Return to Catch All