MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Another "shopping for a new laptop" thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby juanton » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:01 am

fisticuffs wrote:MOTU is made for Mac and then converted over for PC. What does your power supply have to do with getting a firewire interface to start? I have a first generation 828 thats at least 6 years old and it fired up flawlessly with the new iMac.

Ground loops and piss poor power supplies supposedly. It depends on the generation of Macs too. Folks with PCI interfaces never encountered the problem, just us Firewire folks. This is an old machine I'm talking about, i.e. a first gen dual 1.8 Ghz that I got from work.

Google: g5 chirp

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... 8885f3d43e

Apple never really issued a fix. they just give you suggestions as to how to remove digital noise from your audio path.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:04 am

Ah yes I have heard of that. It was in earlier gen PowerMacs. The guys who bought mine were concerned about it but my PowerMac was about as late as they came. Right before the switch to Intel. One of the reasons I up(down) graded to the iMac.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:33 am

TAsunder wrote:Was just at the mac store this weekend. I can't for the life of me figure out why the black macbook is so expensive. You can get a white one with twice as much ram, slightly less hard drive space, but otherwise identical for $50 less than the black one. Is this some sort of "mac hater" tax or something for people who are ashamed to have a white computer?

Or if you configure them with identical specs (in other words, bump up the size of the hard drive on the white one), you're paying an extra $125 for that matte black finish.

I call it the "cool tax". I personally don't care so much for Apple's shiny white computer aesthetic, but I wouldn't pay extra (at least not nearly that much) to get it in black.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:36 pm

I bought a Toshiba laptop for gaming about two years ago. I went with Toshiba because they were the one place that would let me put a really good graphics card into an otherwise fairly cheap computer. It's been a great computer with great graphics (I paid extra for a nice screen too). The only maintenance I've had to do on it was blowing out the dust after a year when it slowed down a lot. I'd definitely buy another one. I didn't get a mac because I used to play some fairly high end video games and didn't want to have to worry about issues caused by mac vs. pc hardware/software.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Buying a laptop for gaming is pretty silly. You pay at least four times the price of an equivalent desktop. You likely can get a good latop AND good desktop for the price of a "gaming laptop". Unless we have different ideas of what is acceptable gaming performance...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:39 pm

TAsunder wrote:Buying a laptop for gaming is pretty silly. You pay at least four times the price of an equivalent desktop. You likely can get a good latop AND good desktop for the price of a "gaming laptop". Unless we have different ideas of what is acceptable gaming performance...

Or unless you like to do your gaming away from home too.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:44 pm

I buy about 10 laptops a year for work, mostly the larger, performance types and I would recommend Dell. Sure, they're kind of ugly, but the ones I have used have taken pretty good beatings without many problems. The extended warranty/support contracts are cheap and totally worth it. They will come and replace your shit-at your house or office-within a business day or two if anything breaks. No questions asked.

I've also heard good things about the MacBooks but I haven't been able to justify the extra cost for now.

For my personal laptop I have a 3-yr old Compaq that I bought for around $500 that has served me well. It's on it's last legs but I've used it and abused it, and taken it with me across the country and back many times and it still works. My laptop upgrade cycle is usually around 2 years so it's nice to know that even a economy-level laptop has outlasted my normal upgrade cycle.

The one thing that I really don't like about it is the glossy screen. Sure, they look brighter and impressive but if you are working anywhere other than an office the glare is going to kill you.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:07 pm

A gaming laptop does cost more and isn't as easy to configure as a desktop, but when you want to share quality time with your movie-watching significant other who does not allow desktop computers in the living room then you have to make some compromises. It came down to giving up gaming, getting a divorce, or buying a laptop. But really a gaming laptop doesn't need to be top of the line, it just needs a good amount of RAM and a really good graphics card. Last I checked, Toshiba was the only big company that let you do that. Dell will make you upgrade quite a bit before they start offering a good graphics card as an option although that might have changed by now.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:31 pm

I don't understand why everyone thinks it costs more for the Mac. A dell XPS that doesnt even spec out to a $1100 Macbook is 1299 and that has an "integrated" graphics card. Take a closer look. Apple doesnt offer anything with a lesser processor like the Dells and HP's.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All