Windows Movie maker is garbage.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

MacBook poised for product rev

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:58 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Why are none of you apple fanboys able to spec out a similar machine during all the research you supposedly do for your latest purchase? This took me all of 5 minutes.

http://systemshootouts.com/
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:44 pm

Oh, there's some competition to SELL the admin on a specific laptop/OS going on here.
Well then...
Microsoft rules. (Dos style!)
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby paulie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:07 pm

I kinda figured this would result in sweaty palms, grinding teeth, and name calling. Mac/PC arguments usually do. Good job guys! :lol:

JJoyce, I think the bottom line is that you're gonna have to decide on your own between a Mac/PC. If you choose a PC, I'd be more than happy to help further.
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Yep, go Mac.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:36 pm

Like all of these people who vehemently advocate one platform over the other without consideration of the individual user's needs, PCs and Macs are both just tools.

Get over it, dinks.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:09 pm

lordofthecockrings wrote:Like all of these people who vehemently advocate one platform over the other without consideration of the individual user's needs, PCs and Macs are both just tools.

Get over it, dinks.

Eh, getting a Mac doesn't imply one platform over another. That's really the point.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cartman69 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 pm

fennel wrote:Eh, getting a Mac doesn't imply one platform over another. That's really the point.

So you can buy a Mac with XP or Vista installed on it? Or would you have to buy the Mac and then buy Paralles and then buy XP or Vista?

Jason has indicated that money does play a factor in his decision.
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby Dark Meat » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:33 am

fennel wrote:Eh, getting a Mac doesn't imply one platform over another. That's really the point.

I believe, technically, it does. "Platform" refers to more than just the OS, really, and let's not forget that Windows runs on top of OS X, rather than independently.

Personally, while I think it's interesting that you can now run Windows on a Mac, I have no interest in doing it myself. I can understand how it's convenient for people who regularly need to flip back and forth, but to my mind it defeats the purpose of going Mac in the first place. I'm not going to pollute my speedy new iMac with something ugly like Vista, since getting away from the new MS OS was one of the big factors in my choosing Apple.
Dark Meat

Postby TAsunder » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 am

Was just at the mac store this weekend. I can't for the life of me figure out why the black macbook is so expensive. You can get a white one with twice as much ram, slightly less hard drive space, but otherwise identical for $50 less than the black one. Is this some sort of "mac hater" tax or something for people who are ashamed to have a white computer?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:50 am

Check out www.colorwarepc.com. You can get one in Lavender if ya like. Does seem a little pricey. I would go for the cheapest Mac with a little extra RAM for most people that's gonna be plenty. I also just got the newest iMac intending to run Windows occasionally. haven't had one reason to.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:51 am

Dark Meat wrote:and let's not forget that Windows runs on top of OS X, rather than independently.

Erh, wrong. Bootcamp lets you run Windows on the Apple hardware natively, i.e. no virtual shit here. Parallels and VM Fusion are what you are talking about, i.e. the OS runs in a runtime sort of space.

Having spent the better part of the weekend trying to get a dual 1.8GHz Mac going with a MOTU Firewire audio interface was a real shitty experience. Macs don't just work. It seems Apple skimped on the power supply.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:55 am

MOTU is made for Mac and then converted over for PC. What does your power supply have to do with getting a firewire interface to start? I have a first generation 828 thats at least 6 years old and it fired up flawlessly with the new iMac.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dark Meat » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:58 am

juanton wrote:Erh, wrong. Bootcamp lets you run Windows on the Apple hardware natively, i.e. no virtual shit here. Parallels and VM Fusion are what you are talking about, i.e. the OS runs in a runtime sort of space.

My mistake. Not familiar with Bootcamp other than the name. Figured it was just another flavor of the technologies you mention.

I'm still not in any hurry to run Windows on my iMac, however. But again, that's just me.
Dark Meat

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All