Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, March 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Lets play the Cell Phone Provider game again

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Lets play the Cell Phone Provider game again

Postby Cartman69 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:31 pm

Verizon has pissed me off for the last time. :evil:

My contract is up and I'm looking for recommendations for the best company to pick up the slack. I don't travel much past central Ill, so nationwide isn't a big concern.
Just looking for the best price that includes nation wide long distance.

Thanks
Da Cart
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Re: Lets play the Cell Phone Provider game again

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:33 am

Cartman69 wrote:Verizon has pissed me off for the last time. :evil:

My contract is up and I'm looking for recommendations for the best company to pick up the slack. I don't travel much past central Ill, so nationwide isn't a big concern.
Just looking for the best price that includes nation wide long distance.

Thanks
Da Cart

I've tried 'em all over the years and I always come back to Verizon. They just seem to have the best coverage for my particular usage I guess.

What did they do to piss you off?
mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:44 am

Yep, I'm switching to Verizon. I've tried US Cellular and, most recently, AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly AT&T Wireless).

If I can pull the memories out of the back of my filing cabinet, USCC was good for call quality, not so good for customer service and repairs. AT&T has some spotty coverage areas in my usual stomping grounds, is too expensive for the service rendered, and has shite for phones (I'm most unhappy with my phone right now....terrible).

Gonna order our phones on Amazon tonight. It's amazing how much the brick-n-mortar stores will take from you for phones if you let them.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:22 am

FWIW, Sprint has been great so far for me. Switched to them from AT&T.

90% of my usage is in major coverage areas, but I do roam into the sticks sometimes, and haven't had any problems. Sprint piggybacks onto the US Cellular towers if they are around.

My only quibble with Sprint was the hassle I went through when trying to get my old cell number "ported" over to Sprint. They screwed it up and it ended up taking a week.

My $.02
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:26 am

I've been with ATT though ATT wireless then Cingular then back to ATT. Had no problems. Everyone charges about the same. I have a lot of friends on ATT so we talk for free. Also preparing to get the next 3G iPhone that comes out. ATT seemed to have a nice selection of phones. They had the best deals on them by far. USCC had no phones and charged an arm and a leg for what they had. I just did the whole shopping around thing a few weeks ago and signed a new contract with ATT as a result.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:49 am

I have US Cellular with a national plan, and have been happy with them. Except in the deepest forests of Wisconsin, I have gotten good coverage across the US and Canada.

The number one reason I like US Cellular is their free "call-me" minutes. Once someone gets your cell phone, they will never call your land line (even though I work at home.) Instead of worrying about eating up my minutes, these calls are free. It cuts down considerably on the number of minutes you need to buy/pay for each month.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:55 am

fisticuffs wrote:I've been with ATT though ATT wireless then Cingular then back to ATT. Had no problems. Everyone charges about the same. I have a lot of friends on ATT so we talk for free. Also preparing to get the next 3G iPhone that comes out. ATT seemed to have a nice selection of phones. They had the best deals on them by far. USCC had no phones and charged an arm and a leg for what they had. I just did the whole shopping around thing a few weeks ago and signed a new contract with ATT as a result.

Agreed that USCC has no phones at four times the price. I'm just not enamoured with the RAZR, and it feels like that (plus Blackberry and Blackberry clones) are all that AT&T offers right now.

When I say that AT&T costs too much, I guess I'm not saying "per minute." We don't use too many billed minutes, though, and Verizon's plans start at a lower minutes-per-month level than AT&T. Less wasted money with Verizon than AT&T, from my perspective.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:57 am

Where USCC really gets you though is roaming. Did you pay extra for nationwide? Because it's not right out of the box. They do have incredible coverage around here but fire that thing up out of area and you're paying 50 cents per minute. With ATT there is no such thing as roaming. Call minutes are nice but I heard that was being fased out.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:00 am

fisticuffs wrote:Where USCC really gets you though is roaming. Did you pay extra for nationwide? Because it's not right out of the box. They do have incredible coverage around here but fire that thing up out of area and you're paying 50 cents per minute. With ATT there is no such thing as roaming. Call minutes are nice but I heard that was being fased out.

No, we didn't do national coverage, and boy did we get hammered when we had to make a call or two from Louisville. Yikes. Come to think of it, that was one of the major souring events in the relationship with USCC.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:05 am

Yeah it was a toss up for me between ATT and Verizon. What sold me was the iPhone I plan to get (when they upgrade to 3G of course).
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:22 am

fisticuffs wrote:Yeah it was a toss up for me between ATT and Verizon. What sold me was the iPhone I plan to get (when they upgrade to 3G of course).

Lots o' cash that I just don't have, although I love 'em. And I worked so hard to acquire my current PDA, I can't bring myself to boot it into obsolescence quite yet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:33 am

If some wireless carrier began charging for the minutes people have actually used, and didn't require contracts -- an approach that seems to have been working fine for land-line service, over many decades -- then it would be the best wireless carrier.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:44 am

I've been with US Cellular for almost 10 years now.
They've never disappointed me as far as CS.
I always used them for local service, and the family plan I was on was about $60 a month w/ 1000 min.

Now that I have to travel more for work I've changed to a national plan for 2 phones, 1000 min, $100 a month.
I was under a crunch and didn't compare when I changed to this plan but once my contract is up this Dec. I'm going to look for a provider that is solid national as well as local and has a Crackberry at a reasonable price.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All