MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
kayaks
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Hit by Uninsured Motorist - Advice?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby bluethedog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:38 pm

ubiquity wrote:It's what this young lady should have done.

That and payed more attention to what she was doing.

Running a red light, "missing" a stop sign.

I'd think if you're running around without insurance you would drive more cautiously.

Call Hupy; he's got several tv actors 1 MILLION DOLLARS!
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 pm

bluethedog wrote:

Yeah, but the small print says that the actor's testimony is based upon a real case. I plan on calling Hupy if/when I get rear-ended. That's why I slam on the breaks every time I have some tailgating asshole right behind me. But, so far, their reflexes have been just too good. I'm hoping someday, I too, can say, "Michael Hupy got me 1.3 million dollars!"
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:05 pm

bluethedog wrote:
ubiquity wrote:It's what this young lady should have done.

That and payed more attention to what she was doing.

Running a red light, "missing" a stop sign.

I'd think if you're running around without insurance you would drive more cautiously.

Accidents are gonna happen. Stop signs might be BEHIND tree branches in your new neighborhood. *cough* Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have let my insurance go before selling the car but I had to eat! Maybe I could have been more careful to not hit an INSURANCE AGENT IN HIS NEW ELANTRA WITH THE DEALER STICKER STILL ON. Ahhh. Sorry I blew up. What was I saying?

Oh yeah. *Rodney Dangerfield collar-pull* Accidents and stupidity are gonna happen, often together. Consider that this person who hit ya might feel pretty shitty about it and actually make good before you hitch up your pants for a million dollar law suit.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:30 pm

ubiquity wrote:Once, when I was rear-ended by someone, I had a ton of solicitations from lawyers, chiros and ambulance chasers. Now, when I need them, where are they?

Oh, give it a few more days until they get their claws on the accident reports - your solicitations will be pouring in shortly.

My car was totaled earlier this year, I must have received close to three dozen offers inside of a couple weeks. My favorite was the first one that said something like, "You're going to be receiving a lot of shady proposals in the mail very soon, so make sure you call us today because we guarantee you'll win" kind of thing.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flipmode » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:22 pm

My car was totaled in an accident caused by an uninsured driver this summer. It was my first major accident/insurance claim, so I was fairly freaked out when I learned she was uninsured. Luckily no one was injured and I was covered. It happened less than 4 blocks from my home.

I talked to a neighbor who is a lawyer a few minutes after it happened and he said my policy should cover everything with the exception of my collision deductible, which was $50 and would be repaid if the insurance co. could recover it after the subrogation process. He also said that the state doesn't require drivers to be insured, but it isn't always a bad thing from a repayment standpoint. I thought this was strange. He said being uninsured is very irresponsible and insured drivers pay higher rates because the uninsured motorists, but the state adding fines for being uninsured can delay the repayment process. He pointed out that people are going to pay a state fine prior to any civil decision; courts can set up a payment schedule, but they are going to make sure the state is paid first. Requiring people to be insured by law doesn't mean that everyone will be insured and uninsured drivers will still get into accidents. In Texas it is a requirement that all drivers carry proof of insurance, but something like 35% to 40% of drivers are still uninsured.

It was a bit of an ordeal, but I was extremely lucky I was well covered an uninjured. American Family took good care of me. I surrendered the vehicle and actually got a few hundred more than I thought it was worth. I was contacted the next week by like 30 attorneys and ten chiropractor clinics. Of course now I have new car payments and a higher insurance rate.

-Also Michael Davis was highly recommended to me by a coworker, but I didn't need to litigate.
flipmode

Previous

Return to Catch All