MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

good-bye dial-up

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

good-bye dial-up

Postby jameson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm sure this is the dumbest question you've read in a long time, but I want to sign up for hi-speed internet. Does that mean broadband? Or DSL? I want to use the airport feature on my mac, if that makes a difference.

So I have TDS Telecom for phone, and Directv for cable. Does that mean TDS is my only choice? (Won't do charter). Or are there other providers? I'm looking at TDS's website, but am turned off by the fact that I can't find a straight answer as to how much it costs (after the 1st 3 months).

I'm looking in the yellow pages, but the ones I've singled out as local seem to be dial-up only, some with "accelerators", whatever that means.

SOS!
jameson

Postby eriedasch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:19 pm

Broadband Internet access, often shortened to just "broadband", is high speed Internet accessâ€â€
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: good-bye dial-up

Postby eriedasch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:24 pm

jameson wrote:I'm looking at TDS's website, but am turned off by the fact that I can't find a straight answer as to how much it costs (after the 1st 3 months).

That seems a common practice by many of the providers out there today. I've seen the same offers advertised by AT&T and Charter with similar complaints being impossible to know what the rates will go up to after the intro rate ends.

I would call up any of the providers you are considering, or better yet all of them. I believe by law they have to tell you what the price will end up as and if they are unwilling to give you that info, I would not purchase their services.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:35 pm

I have TDS and for phone service and DSL. I pay about $64 a month. They offer 3 speeds of DSL and I have the slowest. It's still way faster than dial-up.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Yahoo/att has them starting at $15 plus tax and up.
Charter just sent me something in the mail offering phone, tv and internet for $70/month. I have none of them, tempting.

But if I were you, I'd go with something you have, TDS. Why deal with 2 companies, from what I hear that's the worst part.

I will probably go with Yahoo soon--TDS is not available where I live off Cottage Grove Rd.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:43 pm

I got rid of my Charter internet (which was supposedly 3mg service but it never actually worked-at all) after a month and I think 6 or 7 technicians coming out, and countless miserable hours on the phone.

I called TDS and immediately got to speak to a real person (no being put on hold) who was actually local. They were extremely helpful, and gave me the price (which for 6 months is like $20 bucks total for phone and internet) and they did tell me what it would cost after that time period was up- I don't remember off the top of my head, but the price increase was still cheaper than charter. And I didn't even have to be home to set it up- they just dropped off a modem and I was able to set it up in about 2 minutes. And the modem is also a wireless router, which is nice. I only have 2mg service, but it is plenty fast (and WAYYYY faster than Charter internet). And so far in the past month my internet has NEVER gone down.

So my recommendation would be to go with DSL. It is very reasonably priced, reliable, and best of all it isn't Charter!
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All