MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Space Heaters vs. Furnace

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Space Heaters vs. Furnace

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:40 pm

I am having a conversation with my roommates about this. I want the heat on while I sleep they want to shut the heat off so as not to waste money heating the downstairs and each use a space heater. All the info I can find points to one space heater being less efficient let alone 3 of them. Your thoughts?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:12 pm

Leave it on, but tell them to shut their valve thingie that allows the heat to come in from the register.

I do that to an extra bedroom I have, and close the door. If it gets too pricey this winter, I'll do that to my bedroom when I'm not there during the day.

Also:
Go to Kohl's, and buy some Sonoma polar fleece sheets. I have 2 sets, so warm I don't even bother with my electric blanket or down comforter anymore, and I keep it at about 57 when I sleep. ON sale I got the Queen size for $26. Flannel is so 1970's.
Trust me.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Space Heaters vs. Furnace

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:28 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I am having a conversation with my roommates about this. I want the heat on while I sleep they want to shut the heat off so as not to waste money heating the downstairs and each use a space heater. All the info I can find points to one space heater being less efficient let alone 3 of them. Your thoughts?

Check and re-check your smoke detectors: "The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that more than 25,000 residential fires every year are associated with the use of room (space) heaters."

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/463.html
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:30 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I am having a conversation with my roommates about this. I want the heat on while I sleep they want to shut the heat off so as not to waste money heating the downstairs and each use a space heater. All the info I can find points to one space heater being less efficient let alone 3 of them. Your thoughts?

Unattended space heaters are a really good way to burn your house down.

I agree with Paco. Get some flannel sheets and a couple of good wool sweaters or some silk long underwear.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:31 pm

All Good advice. I am perfectly comfortable as is with the heat on but fire hazards are a concern for me. Ive also blanketed up pretty well so as comfortable as I am and as cold as my roommates are they are the ones suggesting we turn off the heat.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:31 pm

barney wrote:

Unattended space heaters are a really good way to burn your house down.

I agree with Paco. Get some flannel sheets and a couple of good wool sweaters or some silk long underwear.

And by flannel I meant fleece.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lifelongmadison » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:33 pm

Sweaters and blankets work well...
If you want to haggle like hell over next months electric with your roomies, go for the space heater... But the fire hazard and cost is prohibitive... just dont turn down the heat too much.. it takes the furnace alot more time and energy to catch up with the low thermostat than it does to keep an even temp of 55-65. If it feels cold... go stand outside for ten minutes.. you'll feel quite warm coming back in.
I lived for a few winters in a house that was old and cold. Insulate windows against leaks, If you happen to have a old circular style thermostat, change it for a digital, make sure your furnace has been serviced within the past year, same with your water heater. Why blast the furnace in the morning when you are taking warm showers, and using the stove for breakfast then leaving for the day? Don't forget about your 'inner furnace' that really keeps you warm. Next year, find a place with free heat.
lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby robbie webber » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:28 pm

lifelongmadison wrote:just dont turn down the heat too much.. it takes the furnace alot more time and energy to catch up with the low thermostat than it does to keep an even temp of 55-65.

Wrong. Call MG&E. Or a furnace expert. At least about the amount of energy needed. Obviously, it takes more time to warm up from 55 to 68 than it does to get from 65 to 68. That's what programmable thermostats are for, to warm up the house before you get out of bed.

I have asked multiple people that actually know what they are talking about. Every one has told me this is a myth. Every moment that you can turn down the heat, every degree you can lower it, saves money and energy.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lifelongmadison » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:48 am

robbie webber wrote:
lifelongmadison wrote:just dont turn down the heat too much.. it takes the furnace alot more time and energy to catch up with the low thermostat than it does to keep an even temp of 55-65.

Wrong. Call MG&E. Or a furnace expert. At least about the amount of energy needed. Obviously, it takes more time to warm up from 55 to 68 than it does to get from 65 to 68. That's what programmable thermostats are for, to warm up the house before you get out of bed.

I have asked multiple people that actually know what they are talking about. Every one has told me this is a myth. Every moment that you can turn down the heat, every degree you can lower it, saves money and energy.

Thank you Alder Queen of the Damned for you oh so insulting reply to my post. Glad your holier than thou attitude that has entertained thousands during council meetings equally entertains us here. If you had looked, OP was wondering what the impact would be if the heat was turned OFF at night and roomies used SPACE HEATERS INSTEAD. Obviously your experts at MGE would love for us all to turn off the furnace and use space heaters instead for the savings in money and energy.
I'm sure that as an expert yourself, all of other people with practical experience dealing with roomies and issues of heat and winter should just shut our mouths and call you instead.
http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/Council/doc ... roster.pdf

If I was misinformed, forgive me. What you could have used as a simple teachable moment you turn into a vitriolic 'You're just a know nothing'
post. Attack me and ignore the question. Politics has taught you well.
lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All