MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Iced in. Any advice?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Iced in. Any advice?

Postby flarosa » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:35 pm

So, I was very busy this past Sunday, or as I call it, the day the city iced over. I cleared my sidewalk promptly, but figured I'd shovel my driveway Monday morning. By then the snow had transformed itself into a kind of minor glacier, rendering comical my attempts to clear it with any of the simple hand implements I had available.

Having spent the past few days fantasizing about blow torches, jackhammers and sticks of dynamite while riding the bus to work, I'm ready to concede that this is not a problem I can solve on my own.

If anyone can recommend a source of professional help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Frank
flarosa

Postby towanda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Buy some salt or other ice melter. Scatter it liberally upon your driveway. Wait for it to work, and then shovel the resultant slushy mess out of the way.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby dogmeat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:17 am

Gather some old shirts, socks or other textiles you don't want anymore. Soak them in gasoline. Be sure to wear waterproof gloves. Gasoline on the skin is very uncomfortable in cold weather. Arrange the textiles on the ice. Light a newspaper (preferably USA Today) on fire and throw it on the textiles. That should melt a hole in the ice and you should be able to get a shovel under the patch.

I don't actually recommend this method, but I think it would work.

Another option is to steal a few of those propane patio heaters outside High Noon Saloon and put them in your driveway.

My last suggestion is to find some stupid kid in the neighborhood and underpay him to do it.

I recommend either of the last two options.
dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:06 am

Use a dirt/garden shovel, the one you use to dig a hole with in the summertime, instead of a snow shovel. It's got a sharp edge and cuts right thru it. break it up that way.

I just heard on the news all the salt is sold out at Menards, and the city barrels are bone dry. Wait until tomorrow, it will be a high of 30 and it'll be easier.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:23 am

A jackhammer actually isn't a bad idea, however, you have to go to the hardware store to rent one and you probably can't if you're iced in.

Oh well, see ya in March!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:35 am

I think we are going to have a long winter, so maybe by April your driveway will be thawed.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All