Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Weather terrorists

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:08 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
meowzamusic wrote:Here's my favorite from the NOAA:
Tonight: Snow likely with widespread blowing snow before midnight, then widespread blowing snow after midnight.

Couldn't they just say, "widespread blowing snow all night" or would that be too simplistic?

I think, and bear in mind this is just a thought (something unlikely to grace the brain of a TV meteorologist--ha!), that the above statement means that before midnight, there will be falling snow AND blowing snow, and after midnight, the snow will no longer be falling, but will still be blowing.

OK, I could see that.

My first thought was that weather predictions seem to always be divided into discreet blocks of time, and midnight is one divider. I.E. they always tell you what the weather will be like before and after midnight.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 pm

chance wrote:
Rosemary wrote:...That's what channel 15's weather guy reminded me of last night while he reported the "blizzard warning" and death-inducing weather conditions. Good grief, it was funny, in a "want to poke him with a snowstick*" kind of way.

*This made-up word was actually used by whomever was transitioning to the weather guy, as in, "more snow than you can shake a snowstick at."

Because you've never heard of it, it must be made up, huh?

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/?n=coop-news

Tell you what: you give us your prediction about what conditions will be over the next, say, 24 hours, and tomorrow we'll all check back and see how you did, and how the meteorologists did.

Swell. Apparently, I do learn something new everyday.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 pm

It's really treacherous out there. I just drove through it and my car lost footing a few times. I was driving so slow too. Be careful.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:21 pm

At least I stopped getting pelted with sleet and freezing rain. More wind and bluster than precipitation. The #2 ran right on time, through Hilldale,tonight. It was windy across Midvale & University. Wonder why it was even windier on the Isthmus?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 pm

DMeister wrote:All mets are self-aggrandizing GenYers.

...who've moved here from the coasts - and therefore behave like they've *discovered* Wisconsin winter.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:48 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Who is Snow(e)?

Michael Patrick wrote:and how much does she charge for the blowing?

Less than Shakira.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:08 am

MATC closed at 2:30, and it took me 50 minutes to drive 4 miles home. I hate to think how long people took to get 30 or 40 miles home. I think 2:30-3:30 was the worst of the driving conditions. It was sleeting and the whole street was ice, but later it turned to snow pellets that gave you more traction.

To avoid a left turn across two lanes of (very slow) traffic, I made a right out of the campus parking lot and then turned around in somebody else's parking lot to get going the right direction. Traffic was between 15-20 mph.

On my way back past that same parking lot exit (going the right way, very slowly, and staying as far to the side as possible to avoid hitting people trying to slip across) the guy behind me got annoyed and passed me for going too slow. In about two seconds he slammed (softly) into a car making -- you guessed it -- a left turn out of the same exit I just made a right turn out of to avoid making a left.

My ABS worked. I don't think I ever had to use it before -- it really does stop the car in more or less a straight line.

The creepy thing was both those cars looked just like the one I was driving, so I saw myself doing two things I had just explicitly avoided: making a left across 2 lanes of traffic, and going too fast.

I avoided a second crash on the way home when a van in front of me just lost it and turned a donut. I hope everybody else made it home OK tonight, especially you out-of-town people.

The wind is really howling at 1:00 am -- we better have a shady Ground Hog day, that's my wish. Enough of this.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:07 am

I walked home last night. Took about 45 minutes. I wore a layer of thin satin longjohns with some cotton ones over them. Longjohns top, tee shirt, sweater, pull over hoodie, outer coat, with scarf and gloves...

Everything went fine.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:41 am

mmsd was open all day yesterday but closed today. :roll:
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:55 am

I think it's a sound decision---don't want kiddies freezing out there waiting for the bus. Now, I just need my boss to follow suit (not gonna happen).
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 am

walked to work, sweated my arse off.

Took the bus home. Mine was 20 minutes late. Caught it from in front of the Dept Of Justice building. In the past you could stand in the lobby while your bus waited. Yesterday they had some surly guard standing there in front of the door not letting you in unless you had business. It's just a lobby, inbetween a set of doors. Nice. It was about 9, snowing and very windy at that time.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby El Chifa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:37 am

Any power outages in Madison? Seems likely with the ice and frigid temperatures.
El Chifa

Postby magic moose » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:41 am

Winter derecho.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:22 am

It pays to be insulated against the blast. I've noticed more fancy winter face masks, than I've ever seen before. A young lady, sitting infront of me, on the bus, was wearing an oval, flannel insulated one, with elastic straps, around the ears. I made one out of a sport polo.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyWx80 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:55 am

roadkill bill wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:
meowzamusic wrote:Here's my favorite from the NOAA:
Tonight: Snow likely with widespread blowing snow before midnight, then widespread blowing snow after midnight.

Couldn't they just say, "widespread blowing snow all night" or would that be too simplistic?

I think, and bear in mind this is just a thought (something unlikely to grace the brain of a TV meteorologist--ha!), that the above statement means that before midnight, there will be falling snow AND blowing snow, and after midnight, the snow will no longer be falling, but will still be blowing.

OK, I could see that.

My first thought was that weather predictions seem to always be divided into discreet blocks of time, and midnight is one divider. I.E. they always tell you what the weather will be like before and after midnight.

that stuff is all computerized on the NOAA site, which is why the wording is sometimes awkward. the forecast is from a person, but it's automated through computers at the NWS office.
AndyWx80
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All