MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Vegetarians

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Vegetarians

Postby rrnate » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:34 am

Are there any other vegetarians on here? I've been a vegetarian (but certainly not vegan, as I lack any real willpower and can't deny cheese/eggs/etc.) for about 7 years now and I'm curious if there are any others on le Forum.

I know of several veggie-haters on here - I'm just curious if there are any vegetarians.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vegetarians

Postby Renee Gabel » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:31 am

I went veg for most of the 80s, total Vegan for a few years. I'm seriously thinking about going veg again....at least for Lent.

Do you have some favorite restaurants?
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:29 am

I was pretty much all vegetarian starting around 1980 but relapsed this past winter. No idea why -- I just started wanting to eat a little meat, mostly fish, when it's cold. I likely will not eat meat next summer, so perhaps it is a winter thing.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy chewy stuff like beef, though. I am still vegetarian about 6 days out of 7, and I never cook meat in my house because it's messy and you can smell it for days.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 am

Renee Gabel wrote:I went veg for most of the 80s, total Vegan for a few years. I'm seriously thinking about going veg again....at least for Lent.

Do you have some favorite restaurants?

Definitely. Here is a quick list...

* Monty's
* Bluephies
* Lao Lang Xiang
* Inca Heritage (They only have one or two veggie options but they are so very, very delicious)
* Himal Chili
* Glass Nickel (they have a good amount of veggie pizza & calzones)
* Maharaja

...and I could keep on going. Madison is a good place to not eat meat.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:45 am

I'd add Dobhan.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:04 am

snoqueen wrote: I never cook meat in my house because it's messy and you can smell it for days.

Me Too. I'm not a vegetarian, but for this reason I eat very little meat. I'll grill outside but I can't stand spattering grease all over the kitchen. I used to do the occasional shake N bake but ever since reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, I've mostly avoided chicken. I can't give up cheese though, everything's better with cheese. It's the heroin of food.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hi, i'm new here » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Madison has nice places for veggies like us to eat, but for an excellent full-vegetarian menu I'd recommend a trip to the Dells, to the Cheese Factory.
hi, i'm new here

Postby towanda » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm vegetarian. It's nice to know there are other vegetarians around. So far, all the "vegetarians" I've met face-to-face in Madison are the ones who eat chicken and fish.

Lulu's and Shish Cafe have good vegetarian options. So do Sa-Bai Thong, The Flattop Grill, and Chautara. It would be really nice if there were a completely vegetarian restaurant in town.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 am

Bandung's chef and owner is a vegetarian. There are a lot of great veggie choices there.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 am

Been vegetarian for over 10 years, though not a vegan.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:09 pm

Also a Veggie, tho not vegan. The occasional egg in baked goods and dairy. I find many Madison restaurants are at least Veggie tolerant if not friendly. Bandung is great, and Bunky's has a lot of veggie-fare, in addition to all the middle-eastern and Indian restos in town. Can always get a veggie-friendly pizza - have a weakness for Papa Murphy's 'gourmet veggie' in a pinch. Been a Veggie since high school, with an occasional lapse when I first got married - to a meat&taters 'sconnie. But she's turned Veggie...for the most part...and I'm not too militant about it.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MeLurkyLongTime » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:55 am

When my brother went Veggie 10 years back my mom said she would start saving her toenail clippings so that he could continue to eat Jello. She also tries to get him to eat chicken, claiming they are just ambulatory vegetables and the dumbest animals on the planet, therefore they deserve to be eaten.
Although the Jello is tempting, bro still won't give in.
MeLurkyLongTime
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 am

Kind of amusing to see this thread showing up under the photo bar picture of all those turkeys...

:)
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:Kind of amusing to see this thread showing up under the photo bar picture of all those turkeys...

:)

Hey - it's entirely appropriate...turkeys are vegetarians! :wink:
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Unfortunately, all I can think of when I see those turkeys is ... Sarah Palin babbling away with that demented grin on her face, while all those turkeys were being decapitated behind her.

It's enough to put a foron off his lunch (Palin, that is, not the turkey factory).
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All