MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Brushes With Greatness

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Brushes With Greatness

Postby john_titor » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm

My own list kind of sucks, but I am interested in hearing others.

Bart Starr: I saw him at a Buckets for Hunger event and shook his hand. Class act all the way (suck it Favre)

Ronnie Reagan: He landed his helicopter at my high school on route to some event. I did not get to talk to him, but he said something into a megaphone from his limo before he drove off.

Michael Stipe: I was at a Chickasaw Mudpuppies' show at some club in Athens. He stood in front of me for the entire concert. He was by far my biggest idol. I felt anything I could possibly say to him, he would have heard a thousand times before. I chose not to bug him and let him be.

Jerry Springer: I was working a temp job at a "Mailboxes USA". His limo pulled up, he hopped out and handed his mail to me.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Brushes With Greatness

Postby butters » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 pm

On the same day, i met Mr. Green Jeans at the farmer's market and Ed Helms at Genna's. Helms was in town promoting the Daily Show book and we sat at the same table. I commented to him that I thought he was really funny--something i thought a comedian would like to hear. He responded, "No. I heard you are even MORE funny!" We laughed. I think he's heard that before. Good guy. Mr. Green Jeans was a dick--he wouldn't let me sit on his lap.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 am

I gave Mike Wallace a ride to the airport.

I delivered a pizza to Aretha Franklin.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:27 am

File these under "Brushes with Infamy":

One of my closest friends from high school ended up working very high up in the Bush white house.

A guy I knew in college is now a PR flack for one of the insurance industry front groups leading the opposition to health care reform. The funny thing is that in college he was pretty much the sleaziest and most obnoxious guy around. When I found out about his current job, all I could think of was those "where are they now?" notes at the end of "A Fish Called Wanda":

Archie and Wanda were married in Rio, had seventeen children, and founded a leper colony.

Ken became Master of Ceremonies at the London Sea World.

Otto emigrated to South Africa and became Minister for Justice.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 am

A couple Packer sightings come to mind. Met Gilbert Brown at Steak Escape in Appleton (appropriate), Sterling Sharpe in the Bay Park Square Mall in Green Bay (got his autograph on a $1 bill, as it was the only paper my dad and I could find. I no longer have it).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:19 am

I saw Jessica Lange at a store in Stillwater, MN.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:35 am

I sat next to Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton Banks) at the Flat Iron Grill (now the Local). He had a salad for lunch but returned it after discovering a bug in it. He declined further food but did pay the bill.

A few weeks ago I was riding my bike on the path under the Monona Terrace along the lake and saw a fishing boat real close to the Terrace. Somebody in the boat had a snag on the cement wall. I made eye contact with Mark Tauscher - not sure if he was snagged or not, but he gave me a smile and a head nod.

Several years ago I went to a 50th wedding anniversary party at a ritzy hotel near the then Rosemont Horizon. There was some wrestling event going on and the wrestlers were staying at said hotel. Andre The Giant acted as if he couldn't hear or understand my dad when he asked him for an autograph for my kids. Zeus was also there (the guy with the lazy, discolored eye who also starred in "Friday").

I also got Mike Ditka's autograph when my dad saw him eating at Ditka's steak house or whatever it's called. He was still Da Coach at the time; my dad made mention of the Bears playing the Packers the next weekend. Ditka said, "We're gonna get 'em" and they did.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 am

After the Knitters show a couple years ago I shot the shit for a while with John Doe. We talked about the differences between LA and Wisconsin.

He's from Shawano, don'tcha know.

I flew on a plane with Forrest Gregg.

And I walked about 30 feet from Shaquille O'Neill in the lobby of the MGM Grand. He big.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peacetrain » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:51 am

Dan Pantrick at a Notre Dame football game. Discussed his appearances on Lazer 103 in Milwaukee. Very personable.

4 ex packers at a bar in lacrosse 2 thursdays ago. Schreoder, Brown,Datson and Henderson.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:05 am

Bob Weir-took a picture at book signing with him (BU)
Ted Kennedy-J.J. Foleys, Boston
Jimmy Kimmel and Sarah Silverman-Charlie's Kitchen, Cambridge
Andrew McCarthy-Charlie's Kitchen, Cambridge
Rick Sutcliffe-Charlie's Kitchen, Cambridge
Peter Gammons-Blue Ginger, Wellesley, MA
Jerry Remy-took a pic Fenway Park

random ballplayers at games and writers at readings
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 am

Waited on Bonnie Raitt and Arlo Guthrie. And at other times, Roger Smith (eponymous inspiration for Roger & Me) and Jim Harrison. (Guess which of the last two are better tippers.) Blew some smoke backstage with Ali Farka Toure who told stories about working as a cab driver in Kankan, Guinea
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:21 am

Stood next to Elisabeth Shue as she was checking out a book at the Harvard Widener Library. Passed Queen Amidala of Naboo as she was walking to class. She's tiny.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:07 am

Seated a couple tables away from Devin Harris at Eldorado Grill might not be much since he was a Badger, but this was after he signed with the Mavs. So there's that.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:56 am

Mr. Blues's mohawk.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Greatness, right? Got Adam Rich's (from Eight is Enough) autograph at a car show.

High-fived Tiger Woods after he got his first hole-in-one as a pro at the GMO. I think this qualifies.

Jane Wiedlin in the basement at the King Club!

Shook Jim Doyle's hand as I was walking to Lambeau. Everybody moving quickly and of a sudden the crowd parts and there he was. His wife was my 7th grade teacher.

Got invited up on stage for a bit with Penn & Teller in Vegas.

Editing vid with Hizzoner da Mare later today ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All