MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 82.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brushes With Greatness

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Brushes With Greatness

Postby feh23 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:05 pm

I served pizza to Motley Crue, and was exceptionally rude. I thought they were going to stiff me on the tip like the rest of the hesher assholes that night. Plus, I was in a shitty mood because the other waitress skipped out that night, probably to go to the concert. They were actually quite nice, gave me an excellent tip and offered to give me a back stage pass to the show. I declined, mostly out of shame at my high school obsession with them, and a fear of VD.
feh23

Postby Broadsheet » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:40 am

While buying a cat toy, looked up to see Gregory Peck and his wife Veronique two holding their fluffy white dogs in Fur, Fin and Feather on State Street.

In the '70s:

Got a hug and a few seductive words from Rudolf Nureyev at a reception after he danced at the Civic Center in 1973.

Got a kiss from Allen Ginsberg after he read poetry and played his harmonium at Pres House.

Smoked a little dope with (boring) Jerry Rubin, founder of the Yippee party, in a basement apartment at Franklin Court.

Outed conductor Michael Tilson Thomas at a table on the Union Terrace, where he was trying to play incognito with some friends.

I arrived in the Pirate Ship on night with a friend who announced to friends near the entrance of the crowded bar that we had just been to see "the June Taylor Dancers." Paul Taylor -- the New York choreographer -- turned around and stared at us, appalled.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:12 am

jtmehrin wrote:Saw Charlie Shortino at Red Shed after a badger game last year.

Heh. Played a gig not long ago where Shortino and his wife/girlfriend/whatever were present. While loading up afterwards (and while I was at another location), one of my band members was not subtle discussing his opinion of Charlie with the other band member, taken from watching him on TV: "Shortino's a dick."

Seconds later, I walk up, ignorant about the discussion. Seconds more later, Shortino's wife/girlfriend/whatever walks out of the women's room right next to us, and gives me the dirtiest look I've probably ever received.

Definitely not "greatness," but his name was out there, so, yeah.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:05 am

Well if we're including lamous people -

Day before Ironman this year I had attended the volunteer meeting and picked up the 2 way radio for my car as I was going to be providing support on the bike course.

Afterwards I'm walking along the bike path watching the swimmers and trying to juggle this radio which is several pieces, the jacket I had taken off and a couple volunteer t-shirts.

Voice behind me" "Hey are you are a volunteer?"
Me: "yeah, tomorrow"
Voice: "This whole shoreine is a mess, can you get some people out here to clean it up?"
Me: "uh...."
Voice: "I talked to the race director about it...this is really embarassing..."
Me: "well, I'll try to pick up what I can on the way back"

So I wrap the radio up in the T shirts and with my free hand I pick up a dirty sock and some other trash on the way back.

I feel pretty stupid by the time I throw the stuff out. Guy was well intentioned, but totally clueless. The race director blows him off so he's just going to start picking on random volunteers, no random, 1 armed volunteers, to help him clean up. And whine about it the whole time.

Clean-up guy, here's a clue: It's great that you're concerned about this, but GET ORGANIZED. Go and talk to the people who do the spring dog park clean ups and they can tell you how to go about it. This is something you do several days ahead of time, WITH TRASHBAGS.

Some people just don't have any common sense.

Oh yeah, clean up guy was Dane County Supervisor Brett Hulsey.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:05 am

bluethedog wrote:Well if we're including lamous people -

Here is mine, as I scrape the bottom of the barrel. In the mid seventies, I took a summer philosophy course at UW. The instructor was a visiting professor who was the dean of students at Boston University, named William Bennett. I had recently read a My Turn column from Newsweek that he authored, where he trashed the National Endowment for the Humanities. Anyways, he taught a graduate seminar entitled The Philosophy of Constitutional Law. He taught it from a neo natural law point of view, a very Catholic philosophy. We did not get along. Bennett did talk about his past, playing football at Williams College and later getting his PhD in philosophy from Texas and then a Harvard law degree. He even talked about his blind date with Janis Joplin while at Texas.

Some years later, Reagan appointed him to head the NEH, then as the secretary of education and finally as drug czar. His gambling problems came to light later still.

Oh, I only got a grade of B. I just couldn't buy into natural law philosphy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:06 pm

Back when Jerry Brown was running for the 1980 Democratic Party nomination for president, he made a campaign appearance at our home. My mom was heavily involved in political matters, especially in regards to women's issues, and so one of her groups (I think it was the Women's Political Caucus) met at our place to hear Brown speak.

Before he showed up, all they wanted to talk about was Linda Ronstadt. Shortly before he arrived, a couple of squad cars with their lights flashing pulled up in front of the house. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled. Then he shows up, says hi to a few people, and goes directly into the downstairs bathroom. I think he was in there for at least 20 minutes. Finally he comes out, walks past me and my future brother in law, saying "How's it going, guys?", proceeds into the living room, and talks for about 10 minutes. Kind of anticlamactic.

Saw Cindy Crawford in college- once. She lived a few doors down the hall from a friend of mine in one of the south campus women's dorms at NU. I kept slipping invites to our parties under the door, but I don't think she ever showed. My friend down the hall said she didn't see her much either. Colbert was there at the same time, but I don't remember seeing him at all. I do know he was a Fiji, so that was probably why.

Finally, one of my best friends from high school (at least the early years) is now a GOP hack political commentator based in California. I knew something was going wrong with him when he joined the swim team and started perming his hair (now he doesn't have enough to perm). I read somewhere that his brother joined the Obama administration in the education department, so at least the whole family isn't a waste.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:59 pm

We've got to stopped all this name dropping, but not before I add another. About a dozen or so years ago I was part of a group of MMSD teachers who got a federal grant to take a summer course at Stanford (thank you, Bill Clinton). One weekend a few of us took a rental car up to wine country and one of our stops was at the Niebaum Coppola Winery. It included a museum with a Tucker and a bunch of family Oscars. The wine was good, but a little steep, so I just bought a t shirt from the gift shop. I asked the clerk if Francis Ford was often in attendance. She said he was on the grounds today.

Sure enough, as I existed the gift shop there he was, in an old t shirt, ratty shorts and Vietnamese tire sandals. He was talking in Italian to a family from the old country. I took out my camera to take their picture and was asked by FFC himself to take their picture with the family's camera. I can now claim to have attended Stanford and to be Francis Ford Coppola's cameraman.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Broadsheet wrote:
Smoked a little dope with (boring) Jerry Rubin, founder of the Yippee party, in a basement apartment at Franklin Court.

Would that be Francis Court? Now buried underneath the Kohl Center.

I don't think I ever met or saw anyone famous in my whole life. I probably wouldn't recognize them if I did -- I'm terrible with faces.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:36 pm

bassbari wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:... Dick Biondi. Back in the day, he was with WLS Chicago....

Wasn't he fired for making the statement on the air: "The skirts are getting so high, that girls will be brushing their hair in two places"? Yow!

Yep, that's how I remember it. Maybe it was "they'll need two hair-do's."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:28 pm

In 2003, I went to the DPW convention in Milwaukee for the opportunity to see/hear John Kerry. After the Friday night speeches, I went to the receptions all the campaigns were holding. I get to the Kerry reception and get in the beer line. As I'm in the line, young women would be walking by me smiling, waving and saying "hi". After about five minutes of this, I'm all thinking "still got it..." until I get to the keg and turn to see who was standing in line next to me the whole time:

George Stephanopoulos

So I poured him a beer and gave it to him with a "Welcome to Wisconsin".

Oh, and since everybody was there for Howard Dean, the crowd wasn't too huge and I got to meet and have a brief conversation with Kerry as well.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 pm

snoqueen wrote:
bassbari wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:... Dick Biondi. Back in the day, he was with WLS Chicago....

Wasn't he fired for making the statement on the air: "The skirts are getting so high, that girls will be brushing their hair in two places"? Yow!

Yep, that's how I remember it. Maybe it was "they'll need two hair-do's."

Ya know, I think it was around 7:30 P.M., when he said that. Even in smalltown,WI, us kids just thought it was mildly funny, 'cause it was true. Not very scandalous. Thankfully, Bob Sirott, helped bring him back to Chicago. A sweet thing for all us boomers, within listening or viewing range!

OMG, and I just remembered, at one time I owned a 45 of Biondi's, On Top of a Pizza! (which I gave away, at a sock hop auction)

On top of a pizza, all covered with cheese, I met my first meatball, til somebody sneezed! ....
Last edited by Bwis53 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:06 pm

My mother was friends with Saul Alinsky when she attended the University of Chicago and I'm told he once held me when I was a baby. And one time I did coke with Deborah Harry in Andy Warhol's bathroom when I somehow ended up at a party he was throwing when I was an undergrad at NYU back in '85.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:23 am

I love this thread.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby surroundedbyreality » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:10 am

Drove Mohamed Ali from the West side to the airport in 1995. Gave us autographs and let us take pictures. What a nice guy.
surroundedbyreality

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Another airport sighting I forgot. A couple years ago I was in the San Juan, Puerto Rico airport waiting on a flight back to the States. I noticed a tall, skinny bald headed man dressed in tropical whites who was on his cell phone, pacing up and down the concourse. It was James Carville. Mary Matalin was nowhere in sight.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All