MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

"Breaking News"- Channel 15 hits rock bottom

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

"Breaking News"- Channel 15 hits rock bottom

Postby bdog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:07 am

They had "breaking news" on TV this morning that a local DJ quit his job. Their website is treating it as if BP had capped the damn well.

Congrats Channel 15, you officially suck.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Breaking News"- Channel 15 hits rock bottom

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 am

Due to the report, I actually tuned in Z104 on my way into work for a few minutes this morning, just to hear what I've apparently been missing for ten-plus years. Here's what I heard (paraphrasing):
Fish: The comments on our Facebook page this morning have been amazing. Seriously, I can't even keep up with all of them.

Connie: And there's a link on that page to my Connie profile, so....

(sound of pigs oinking/squealing)

Fish: That's right, pigs must be flying right now! Connie got a Facebook page!

And that was about enough of that.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:Due to the report, I actually tuned in Z104 on my way into work for a few minutes this morning, just to hear what I've apparently been missing for ten-plus years. Here's what I heard (paraphrasing):
Fish: The comments on our Facebook page this morning have been amazing. Seriously, I can't even keep up with all of them.

Nothing makes a joke come alive like canned pig squealing. The only thing that's better is a real pig squealing, which is comedically a little more fresh.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:23 pm

rrnate wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Due to the report, I actually tuned in Z104 on my way into work for a few minutes this morning, just to hear what I've apparently been missing for ten-plus years. Here's what I heard (paraphrasing):

Nothing makes a joke come alive like canned pig squealing. The only thing that's better is a real pig squealing, which is comedically a little more fresh.

How about toilet flushing?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Interesting to see how Fish plans to make up for the old sound effects bank in his new career in stand up. Seriously? Stand-up? You're as famous as you're gonna get pimping the latest Nelly tune here in your little burgh Fish. I predict a quick return to whatever reality it is that exists over there at Z104.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Fish? Thank goodness J.D. Barber is still there.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Unless things changed, they moved to Milwaukee a few years ago, but their show is carried on Z104.

Perhaps Vicki McKenna could get her job back. She can easily match the intellect of the Z104 listeners.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Perhaps Vicki McKenna could get her job back. She can easily match the intellect of the Z104 listeners.

I don't think we could handle Z104 listeners getting any dumber.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:30 am

Seems like most people I know only listens to The Mic. I go from Bill Press to Stephanie Miller to Ed Schultz to Thom Hartmann, every day of the week. Around the office anyway, almost everyone is talking about what one or the other of them said or what guests they had on, etc.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:29 am

AaronTheSnob wrote: The Mic. I go from Bill Press to Stephanie Miller to Ed Schultz to Thom Hartmann, every day of the week.

I don't listen to Bill Press, but I check into the Mic regularly. I would say the Mic starts strong and goes steadily downhill throughout the day.
The Stephanie Miller Show is no MENSA convention, but damn, they are the funniest group of people in the media.
Ed Schultz is the most insightful talker on the left and a mensch.
Thom Hartmann is civil and OK.
Randi Rhodes would be OK as your wife's friend who you have to hang-out with once in a while, but she's about 20% as clever and informed as she thinks she is.
Mike Malloy is Glenn Beck.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:43 am

Some of you might not like Z104's morning program but at least it's produced in Wisconsin, and it sounds like it's back in Madison for a while. Locally produced radio is a gift at this point. The amount of time and energy Connie and Fish devoted to local non-profits and charities on their show is admirable, they attract an audience that might not always pick up the Isthmus every morning. I appreciate on Z104 that syndicated stuff like Ryan Seacrest is the exception rather than the rule.

Aaron, it's just a shame that the Mic doesn't have any local programming at all during the weekday. Lee Rayburn wasn't perfect but he did a pretty good job covering a variety of Madison/Wisconsin issues. The Mic's ratings have dropped from it's Obama-high of 2008 and it seems like they could use something to revitalize it. I could see a morning show's ratings getting clobbered, particularly going against liberal-ish Sly on WTDY but maybe there would be some potential for a 2-hour afternoon drive-time program, take an hour off of T(h)om Hartmann and push Randi back an hour, Mike Malloy is too tinfoil-hat to come on at a decent person's hour of 8 pm. Give the thing a test run from September-November, see how well it does with Wisconsin Gubernatorial and Senate races. With the economy and media climate, I'm sure you could find some liberals with talking ability who would work for peanuts.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 am

talagaster wrote: maybe there would be some potential for a 2-hour afternoon drive-time program, take an hour off of T(h)om Hartmann and push Randi back an hour, Mike Malloy is too tinfoil-hat to come on at a decent person's hour of 8 pm.
I like your idea.

Ben Mehrens on public radio does a WI talk show from 4PM to 6 PM that's one of the better, maybe best, public radio offerings.

What I would do if I were the MIC is re-run the Stephanie Miller show and/or Ed Schultz in the evening. Who cares if it is live? Most people can't listen during the day. Rachael Maddow syndicates an audio version of her TV show, that is an option too.

Mike Malloy should be rerun after midnight, maybe he will be entertaining for the drunk drivers.

talagaster wrote:I'm sure you could find some liberals with talking ability who would work for peanuts.

I'm not so sure about this, not so sure at all. Talk radio is tough to pull off, there are only a very few people talented enough to keep it interesting.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:20 am

What Huckelby said. Although I don't mind Bill Press, Randi makes me almost change the channel and I won't listen to Mike Malloy.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:42 am

Huckleby wrote:Ben Mehrens on public radio does a WI talk show from 4PM to 6 PM that's one of the better, maybe best, public radio offerings.

Ideas Network on WPR took me a while to warm up to but Mehrens is probably my favorite. Your Views on the News has some very high-quality callers for a call-in segment, they occasionally get people who have something to say other than partisan talking points or a frustrated "they are all crooks."

Huckleby wrote: Talk radio is tough to pull off, there are only a very few people talented enough to keep it interesting.

Oh, I agree that's it's tough to pull off and takes a tremendous amount of talent. I know a guy who works a weekend shift right now and I'm amazed when he can just go for an hour without a caller... but he can do it and I'm sure there are plenty of currently underemployed people who could rise up to the challenge. I think the biggest reason it's so tough is because everyone, right or left, wants to be Rush Limbaugh. There are very few people so in love with their own voice that they can just talk like that, that much monologue is unnatural.

I wish more content producers would pony up the money for a multi-person team for talk radio, there's so much more energy when you've got the synergy of two or three people that can just bounce off of each other. It's the type of relationship that takes years to build but it's worth it for the audience, too bad you have to have huge ratings to make it economically viable for struggling content producers.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:52 am

fisticuffs wrote: Although I don't mind Bill Press,

I wasn't criticizing Bill Press, he is OK, but he competes with sleep and Sly.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All