MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Question for the town history crowd

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Question for the town history crowd

Postby Azog » Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 am

green union terrace chair wrote:I didn't reply because I thought you were joking (because Arturo was joking). Think about when Sputnik was launched and then what 1920s satellite technology was like. (Hint: It wasn't.)

AHhhhhhh yep that is actually a great joke too. I'm actually more surprised I installed Bing without hesitation. Try searching for old maps of Madison its like a needle in a haystack to find anything you can read and don't have to pay for. I did assume he meant airplane photos but I was just like click click click page page page download download download, G. Earth has a slider, figured at the very least I would find the slider on Bing, its not a stand alone app though its part of internet explorer even on 3d. G. Earth has a standalone version of Earth as well as a browser version, G. Earth's browser version doesn't have the slider, all Bing kept giving me was the browser, I was like, what is up. Being very busy I was just like, where's the slider because I would like to see some older photos.

I did find some old maps that I didn't have to buy that do show old Madison, though in the 1800's a lot of the neighborhoods are still called Ward 1, Ward 2 and don't say the street name. But the say what business was where, apparently. There used to be a fairground on the south side of L. Mendota, no street names, but roughly around the UW area. I just want to see where stuff used to be. I really do think that was a good joke now that I look at it more closely :)
Azog

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 am

Aerial photos of most of S. Wisconsin do exist -- I've seen a whole series of aerials of the Dane Co. Airport area when it was just a swamp, then a little airfield, and now a big one. They aren't on Google Earth, but they're SOMEWHERE. Maybe one of our Historical Society experts can point the way.

In the 60s one of my first jobs was for the regional planning commission in the SE part of the state, which had taken aerial photos of the entire region and was coding them (manually, with colored pencils) as to land use. They were section-by-section (one square mile apiece) and incredibly clear and detailed. My job was to field check unidentifiable area, which usually ended up being graveyards and farmers' junk piles. A fun summer job for a young girl with a car.

Those photos are all still out there somewhere, I hope. What a gold mine for anybody who wants to study development patterns, changes in wetlands and watercourses, climate change, or history. And you know there would be a way to overlay them on existing satellite images if someone wanted to write the software.

Wait until we get rid of Walker.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 am

snoqueen wrote:Aerial photos of most of S. Wisconsin do exist -- I've seen a whole series of aerials of the Dane Co. Airport area when it was just a swamp, then a little airfield, and now a big one. They aren't on Google Earth, but they're SOMEWHERE. Maybe one of our Historical Society experts can point the way.

The Robinson Map Library in Science Hall has historic aerials of the entire state going back to 1937. I believe they've digitized a good deal of them: http://www.geography.wisc.edu/maplib/aerial.html
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 17, 2011 12:08 pm

wallrock wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Aerial photos of most of S. Wisconsin do exist -- I've seen a whole series of aerials of the Dane Co. Airport area when it was just a swamp, then a little airfield, and now a big one. They aren't on Google Earth, but they're SOMEWHERE. Maybe one of our Historical Society experts can point the way.

The Robinson Map Library in Science Hall has historic aerials of the entire state going back to 1937. I believe they've digitized a good deal of them: http://www.geography.wisc.edu/maplib/aerial.html

That has some fascination stuff ... I could spend a lot of time on that.

Azog, if you want to see some things not online, there are some old maps on display at the Sundance theater in Hilldale. They've got eight or nine framed maps up on the wall from various periods ... one was from the 1850s I think.

Another resource I just remembered ... in the reference room of the Memorial Library (where they've got all their atlases), there is a great tome that has detailed maps of Madison from the 1950s. It labels what many of the businesses are downtown. I recall there were a great many bowling alleys, paint stores and tire retailers. Very interesting to see the borderlands of the University with a bunch of streets that don't exist any more, before multi-block buildings like Humanities and Vilas were built.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Tue May 17, 2011 9:08 pm

wallrock wrote:

Wow, this is the link I've been waiting for!

I've seen local aerial photos used for map making in books, libraries, and private collections. But I've been waiting for something online. In the past, the local government websites I've found only provided a library name or a mailing address for ordering expensive copies of aerial photographs.

Thanks for the link!

Henry Vilas wrote:You could start here:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/

There are plenty of "aerial" photographs of Madison to be found here. They don't have photographs you could trace a map from, but they do have many taken from airplanes (and for the older photos) from hilltops and balloons. It can be a little tricky if you are unfamiliar with Madison history. Sometimes I have to use old plat maps (that I copied from the Wisconsin Historical Society years ago) to figure out what I'm looking at.

They have a great search page: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/advancedSearch.asp

A good start on the search page would be to set the first keyword dropdown selection to All Fields and enter the word 'aerial' in the text box and set the second keyword dropdown selection to Location and enter the word 'madison' in the text box (do not use quotes when you enter the words).

Former Wisconsin State Journal photographer Arthur Vinje took many of the aerial photos found in the WHS collection. Just searching on his name alone will get you aerial photos of Madison and other Southern Wisconsin communities.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Is this a great forum or what?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed May 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Allrighty, ol'timers, who can tell me what year or so they renumbered (North) Sherman Avenue?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 18, 2011 6:02 pm

I think they created Fordem Avenue shortly after 1975. Say 78? I know it wasn't there in 74 -- I lived in the area and walked the dog in the wooded hobo jungle that thrived where Camelot and little brick strip mall behind it are today.

When Fordem was opened (it was just a dirt track before, not a street) I think they re-numbered Sherman, putting the break at the corner where the clock store is. There also used to be a public school in the park to the north of the clock store but I can't remember the name of it.

If someone else remembers it otherwise, correct me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:14 pm

I remember that block where Humanities is now. I think it had old dorms called "The Elms".
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed May 18, 2011 6:30 pm

snoqueen wrote: There also used to be a public school in the park to the north of the clock store but I can't remember the name of it.

I remember that school and thinking it looked like a dilapidated Ramada Inn. It was around until the mid 80's at least, I lived right there on Sherman for a few months in my first foray into independent living. I wanna say it was exclusively for Maple Bluff, but I have no real reason for saying that.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think they created Fordem Avenue shortly after 1975. Say 78? I know it wasn't there in 74 -- I lived in the area and walked the dog in the wooded hobo jungle that thrived where Camelot and little brick strip mall behind it are today.

Please tell me more of this "wooded hobo jungle."
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
snoqueen wrote: There also used to be a public school in the park to the north of the clock store but I can't remember the name of it.

I remember that school and thinking it looked like a dilapidated Ramada Inn. It was around until the mid 80's at least, I lived right there on Sherman for a few months in my first foray into independent living. I wanna say it was exclusively for Maple Bluff, but I have no real reason for saying that.

I think that was old Lakewood school. I don't know much about it (like if it was once an elementary school). When I first stumbled upon it in 1979, Malcolm Shabazz High School was located there.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Wed May 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Yes, it was Lakewood. You can see the edge of what is now Kappel's in the photo.

photo here
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Of course.

If anybody would have captured it in a photo, it would have been good 'ole Angus McVicar.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I remember that block where Humanities is now. I think it had old dorms called "The Elms".

A friend of mine grew up in the 1950's on Dayton St, near Park St. He graduated from UW in the class of '67. He often talks about the area where Humanities stands now, and the North/South street that ran from University Ave to State St (right about where the front doors of the Elvehjem building of the Chazen Museum are now). It was called Clymer Place. According to my friend's remembrances of the early 1960s, the apartment buildings along Clymer Place was where the "Bohemian" art students of the day lived.

He specifically remembers the final days of the street. During the demolition of the old structures (in preparation for the building of Humanities) the street was lined with plywood that was artfully decorated by the former residents. Along with the artwork, someone had written a poem mourning the loss of Clymer Place.

In this 1957 photo showing the construction of Chadbourne Hall, you can see Clymer Place in the lower right hand corner. The view is looking northwest at the corner of University Ave and Park St.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=24101
frozenCow
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All