MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

My helpful home tips

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: My helpful home tips

Postby Igor » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:47 pm

city2countrygal wrote:would rather throw their stuff in the dishwasher, esp. if you have ever washed dishes as a job.

One of my dish washing jobs was kind of dull, the other was fun, for a number of different reasons. Regardless, it would kick butt to have an industrial Hobart dishwasher in the kitchen. I would probably cook for friends more often just so I could fire that bad boy up.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Petro wrote:The manuals with my All-Clads suggest . . .

That's where you got me, Petro! I said stainless, not All-Clads. I only have Cuisinart pots and pans. Less $200 for a huge set (about 6 pieces) at Macys. At that price I can afford to throw them in the dishwasher. All-Clads are about $200 per piece. I would wash those by hand if I had any.

I'm all about getting my money out of my investment. I take care of my stuff, put premium gas in my car, cause that's a huge investment for me. Convenience and time-saving appliances are also a huge plus in my book. That's why I really love this thread!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:30 pm

My understanding, via self-identifed motorheads, is that premium gasoline offers no real benefit, except for certain designer engines. I don't know, really.

But I do prefer to buy major tools only once. There's an investment in care over time, but that's fine. They become part of the family.

BTW, what's with those silly little vestigial doll-house handles on All-Clads? They're like penguin wings – except always blazing hot.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 pm

My understanding, via self-identifed motorheads, is that premium gasoline offers no real benefit, except for certain designer engines. I don't know, really.

Yeah, I used to think that too. Then I bought a 'performance' sedan that called for premium. I thought, screw that. Well, turns out that the computer in my car adjusted the gas mixture to account for the 87 regular octane. I got worse gas mileage.

So, I did an experiment. Drove for a month with all-premium and then all for a month with 87. I got significantly better mileage with the premium - and the cost per gallon was actually cheaper than with the 87.

(Now, my mileage is still less than it would be if I drove a practical car, but practical doesn't have a 275 hp V6 in it. Baby likes to drive. :) )
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 pm

These little pot holders for frying pan handles really help me remember when a frying pan is hot after I have taken it out of the oven. You are right Fennel, those handles get hot!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:17 pm

barney wrote:... but practical doesn't have a 275 hp V6 in it. Baby likes to drive. :) )

Amen to that!
(And Amen to a progressive gas tax rate.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 pm

city2countrygal wrote:These little pot holders for frying pan handles really help me remember when a frying pan is hot after I have taken it out of the oven. You are right Fennel, those handles get hot!

Yeah, but the problem with those All-Clad$ is that the handles heat up even when the pan is over a moderate stove-top flame. This isn't an issue with professional cookware, where the handles are designed to dissipate heat and accommodate bearing weight. But what can you do? Some cookware is designed to be used, some cookware is designed to be cute.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:37 pm

barney wrote:

Yeah, I used to think that too. Then I bought a 'performance' sedan that called for premium. I thought, screw that. Well, turns out that the computer in my car adjusted the gas mixture to account for the 87 regular octane. I got worse gas mileage.

So, I did an experiment. Drove for a month with all-premium and then all for a month with 87. I got significantly better mileage with the premium - and the cost per gallon was actually cheaper than with the 87.

(Now, my mileage is still less than it would be if I drove a practical car, but practical doesn't have a 275 hp V6 in it. Baby likes to drive. :) )

The octane rating just refers to the anti-knock performance of the engine. It becomes more important when you move to engines with higher compression ratios or things like superchargers or turbochargers as it prevents premature detonation in the cylinder.

If you don't have a need for a high-octane fuel it won't help you.

Modern cars are smart enough to retard compression if they sense knock, leading to the aforementioned loss of gas mileage.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:42 pm

fennel wrote:
city2countrygal wrote:These little pot holders for frying pan handles really help me remember when a frying pan is hot after I have taken it out of the oven. You are right Fennel, those handles get hot!

Yeah, but the problem with those All-Clad$ is that the handles heat up even when the pan is over a moderate stove-top flame. This isn't an issue with professional cookware, where the handles are designed to dissipate heat and accommodate bearing weight. But what can you do? Some cookware is designed to be used, some cookware is designed to be cute.

I use those little holders on my cast iron pans, but I've never had that problem with the All-Clad pans. I like the handles on them - they give me the leverage to flip things within the pan while also giving me that ridge to enable me to control the handle as I swirl the pan or shake it.

The handles on the lids are another story. My trick is to jam three corks between the handle and the lid. They stay cool and never become hot enough to burn me.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:53 pm

fennel wrote:Yeah, but the problem with those All-Clad$ is that the handles heat up even when the pan is over a moderate stove-top flame.

I cook with 10" and 12" All-Clad fry pans all the time, and the handles do not get hot on the stove. They do if I'm pan roasting in the oven, d'of course.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:17 pm

I own a dishwasher because I detest doing dishes. I do some, like our cookware, but I'd rather be doing most anything else. The dishwasher definitely uses less water than I would use. And I try to change the sponge often, however I don't use it for anything but dishes.....and I'm pretty sure my GF follows that same rule. Pretty sure.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Can't say I'm too concerned about my washer/dryer, and I've never noticed my clothes coming out of them anything but visibly clean and pleasant-smelling.

I understand that the inside usually still looks clean, and may very well be. It's just getting the clothes in and out without touching the mess some people have. To me it would be like having your food handed to you through a truck stop toilet seat.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:38 pm

narcoleptish wrote:To me it would be like having your food handed to you through a truck stop toilet seat.

No it's not.

If it is - you need to go talk to someone.

A guy I used to bowl with told me his fiance was upset with him because he didn't make the bed. His response to her was "I'm just going to mess it up again tonight", to which she responded "you wipe your butt after using it don't you?". He said he always made the bed after that.

My response was "I can't believe you fell for that you dumb SOB".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 pm

narcoleptish wrote:To me it would be like having your food handed to you through a truck stop toilet seat.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:42 am

fennel wrote:Anecdotally, a friend claims she needed to buy oodles of extra plates, silverware, etc. when she got a fancy new dishwasher, because the dishwasher easily held everything she owned. And, trying to be responsible, she would only run it when full.

I also don't run mine until it's full but fortunately I didn't have to buy extra dishes. After my sister's wedding I got her old set plus my brother-in-law's, so now I've got plates, bowls and coffee cups to spare.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

bdog wrote:

No it's not.

If it is - you need to go talk to someone.

Well, I'm not saying there aren't things I should talk to somebody about....but I'm not concerned about this one.

Let's say you walked into the laundromat and there were 2 washers available. Both appeared clean inside but the top of one was caked with spilled soap, hair, lint, grease, etc. The other was clean. Which one are you going to pick?

Back to the topic:

If your refrigerator has exposed coils either on the back or underneath behind the front bottom grill, keeping them clean and free of dust and pet hair will help extend the life of your fridge. Air flow cools the coils which function to cool the compressor. I've moved fridges out to find the floor scorched black from compressor heat.

If you're getting little puddles of water in front of the refrigerator try removing the bottom drawers and looking for a plugged drain. Many have a drain there that goes to a pan (where it evaporates) and it easily gets plugged with spilled food.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All