MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bank/Credit Union Recommendations?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Bank/Credit Union Recommendations?

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Crockett wrote:If UWCU refunded ATM fees there'd be no reason to bank anywhere else. I wish they would do it.

Wait. You're saying that UWCU should give you the money you gave to another bank because there wasn't a UWCU machine nearby?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm

If UWCU refunded ATM fees there'd be no reason to bank anywhere else. I wish they would do it.

I can think of a reason. If they did that it would hurt their ability to offer their members better rates of interest because they'd be spending that money on this ridiculous idea.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
If UWCU refunded ATM fees there'd be no reason to bank anywhere else. I wish they would do it.

I can think of a reason. If they did that it would hurt their ability to offer their members better rates of interest because they'd be spending that money on this ridiculous idea.

You're already 'subsidizing' me because I use UWCU ATMs for free and I'm not a UWCU member. So why not charge non-members for use of UWCU ATMs while refunding members' fees at other banks' ATMs that charge a fee?

You may find this idea 'ridiculous' in your pretty little provincial world but its pretty standard in the real world.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:49 pm

So why not charge non-members for use of UWCU ATMs while refunding members' fees at other banks' ATMs that charge a fee?

Because banks and credit unions don't operate the same way. Refunding ATM fees from other banks only takes money out of the Credit Union member's pockets. And how would you know whether you expect to refund more or charge more fees? Do members use more non-CU ATM's or do non-members use the CU ATM more? You open a bank and try it out. It's not something I expect out of my credit union.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
So why not charge non-members for use of UWCU ATMs while refunding members' fees at other banks' ATMs that charge a fee?

Because banks and credit unions don't operate the same way. Refunding ATM fees from other banks only takes money out of the Credit Union member's pockets. And how would you know whether you expect to refund more or charge more fees? Do members use more non-CU ATM's or do non-members use the CU ATM more? You open a bank and try it out. It's not something I expect out of my credit union.

Why should I be able to use UWCU ATMs for free as a non-member? Aren't I taking money out of your pocket?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Credit Unions, as do other cooperatives, adhere to the Rochdale Principles. See number seven.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

Crockett wrote:You may find this idea 'ridiculous' in your pretty little provincial world but its pretty standard in the real world.

You are SUCH an asshole.

Crockett wrote:Why should I be able to use UWCU ATMs for free as a non-member? Aren't I taking money out of your pocket?

Um ... no.

Add "fucking moron" to the aforementioned "asshole."
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 am

Okay so the message I'm getting here is Crocket doesn't want to bank with UWCU because the ATMs are free to anybody and he enjoys the feeling of thievery he gets from using theirs instead of his own bank's.

He would lose that enjoyment if he was a Credit Union member. Therefore, they have a poor business model.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All