MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Snow Blower Repair

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Snow Blower Repair

Postby john_titor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Trying to up my nice list before Christmas, I remembered I earnestly told this guy I would tell others about his good service. I wanted to do it last spring but never got around to it.

He came out last winter, a day or two before we got that huge snowfall and picked up my two-stage snow blower. Fixed it for a good price and dropped it back off.

A pleasant experience I wanted to recognize and encourage.

KT Power Center
2221 Industrial Drive
Madison WI 53713
http://ktpowercenter.com
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Snow Blower Repair

Postby Ttusker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:00 am

john_titor wrote:Trying to up my nice list before Christmas, I remembered I earnestly told this guy I would tell others about his good service. I wanted to do it last spring but never got around to it.

He came out last winter, a day or two before we got that huge snowfall and picked up my two-stage snow blower. Fixed it for a good price and dropped it back off.

A pleasant experience I wanted to recognize and encourage.

KT Power Center
2221 Industrial Drive
Madison WI 53713

Good to know. I bought an Ariens two-stager last year. It runs like a champ, does a great job, and I hope it won't need fixing for quite some time. Nevertheless, it's nice to know there's somebody local that could repair it in the event of trouble! Thanks for the tip (to be filed with the local knife-sharpening guy tip I saw on TDPF a while back....)
Ttusker

Postby john_titor » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:01 pm

My friends with trucks list gets smaller every year. The fact that he picked it up and dropped it off made it key. He got it after I left for work, called with an estimate around 9 and had it home and fixed by three. Solid work. I think I found him off of Craig's List, but kept his business card for this very purpose.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:20 am

john_titor wrote:KT Power Center
2221 Industrial Drive
Madison WI 53713

This thread/recommendation deserves a bump either any time it snows or if it gets too far down the list. A good repair person is hard to find, especially if your item is no longer under warranty!
Ttusker wrote:I bought an Ariens two-stager last year.

Wise decision! I have it from a good source that Ariens is The Best! Briggs & Stratton® all the way, baby!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:04 am

I bought a small single-stage two-cycle Toro with the rubber blades three winters ago and it's done me just fine.

This might be a bit off topic but the only time I thought it needed to be brought in was during the second winter when it started lugging down. It would run at normal speed, then slow way down, then back up and repeat. It still ran but it sounded horrible.

That's how I found out I needed leaded gas. The correct oil-gas mixture is almost unimportant, and it doesn't matter if it's last year's gas, but it has to be unleaded. One tank of the right gas and it was running as smooth as the day I bought it off craigslist.

The guys at Wayne's gas station at the beginning of Cottage Grove Road explained that to me. They said they had a monthlong wait for snowblowers and I should just run their gas and their oil and I'd be fine. And I did and I was. :-)

Edited to fix where I typed "unleaded" instead of "leaded" in a caffeine-induced fever. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Last edited by rabble on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:55 am

For what it is worth, I have had good luck at Middleton Power Center. Have only been there 2 or 3 times though.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 pm

rabble wrote:That's how I found out I needed unleaded gas.
I thought all gas was unleaded these days. Do you mean leaded instead - maybe they put an additive in it?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:14 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
rabble wrote:That's how I found out I needed unleaded gas.
I thought all gas was unleaded these days. Do you mean leaded instead - maybe they put an additive in it?

Yes, I meant leaded. I've gone back and fixed it. No additives. Except the oil I added later, I guess.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Gotcha.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Scooter U, on University and Farley, is another good place to go. They service scooters, lawn mowers, snow blowers, and all types of mechanical devices. Just a heads up for those within the Shorewood Hills neighborhood. They also sell used equipment that they've refurbished.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:08 pm

rabble wrote:The correct oil-gas mixture is almost unimportant

Just a friendly clarification for fellow forons so nobody makes the same stupid mistake I did: The exact oil-to-gas ratio may not make much difference, but do make sure you are adding mixed oil and gas if your engine calls for it. Do not only add gas, your engine will eventually seize (in one winter) and all the gears will jam beyond repair. Learn from my dumb and expensive mistake. :oops:
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Bump. Had to do it. :)
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 am

Our superannuated model always has difficulty starting for the first time each year. Yeah, it'd probably help if I cleaned the spark plug, fed it fresh gasoil ... ya know ... gave a shit. What's it want now? A pillow for it's head?
blue
I jerked that hog for like 20 minutes, then gave up. After a break, my wife gave the thing a couple tugs and it was ready to blow.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 am

Sometimes the darn thing just needs a time out. A feminine touch always helps, as long as the gas and oil are mixed right!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:43 am

You two are talking about snowblowers, right?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All