Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

World's richest cat

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

World's richest cat

Postby kurt_w » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 am

From the Guardian:

Italian cat inherits €10m fortune: Four-year-old stray becomes world's richest feline after death of 94-year-old mistress

The cat is now worth an estimated €10m, or approximately US $13 million. (Technically, the cat is the beneficiary of a trust, with some random cat-lover the old lady met in a park as the estate's trustee.)

Dogs are richer than cats, however:

But the fortune pales by comparison with that of Gunther IV, an Alsatian who inherited from his father Gunther III, the pet of a German countess. According to the Pet Gazette, he is worth around $372m.

What I don't get about that article (well, aside from the idea of leaving your fortune to a cat) is this:

The richest cat was previously thought to be Blackie, who was left £9m by his reclusive British owner in 1988.

£9m in 1988 would be the equivalent of about £20 million today, or US $31 million. That's three times as large as the inheritance that supposedly makes this Italian kitty the "world's richest cat". So what happened to Blackie's fortune after 1988? Did he die intestate? Lose it all at Vegas? Maybe it was diluted among lots of heirs ("cat heirs"?) such that none of his descendants inherited as much as Tommaso just did.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: World's richest cat

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 am

Can you imagine the creative ways that people are going to come up with to get at that cat's money?

It's like sending disaster aid to Haiti.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Right now, my cat is buried under a comforter, a heavy blanket, and a sheet. Just imagine how much warmer he could be with another $13M worth of bedding!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:28 pm

That cat is the 1%. He's the idle rich, while the 99% are living on cat food.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:37 pm

kurt_w wrote:
But the fortune pales by comparison with that of Gunther IV, an Alsatian who inherited from his father Gunther III, the pet of a German countess. According to the Pet Gazette, he is worth around $372m.

What I don't get about that article (well, aside from the idea of leaving your fortune to a cat) is this:

The richest cat was previously thought to be Blackie, who was left £9m by his reclusive British owner in 1988.

£9m in 1988 would be the equivalent of about £20 million today, or US $31 million. That's three times as large as the inheritance that supposedly makes this Italian kitty the "world's richest cat". So what happened to Blackie's fortune after 1988? Did he die intestate? Lose it all at Vegas? Maybe it was diluted among lots of heirs ("cat heirs"?) such that none of his descendants inherited as much as Tommaso just did.

I don't find it too surprising that the guy in charge of writing the cat social column doesn't have a firm grasp on monetary policy and global inflationary dynamics.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Cat could buy hisself a lotta pets with that kind of scratch.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:49 pm

kurt_w wrote:

Obviously the cat died intestate. Cats don't have thumbs so it couldn't hold a pen to sign a will...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Ms Vilas and I have joked about leaving our possessions to our cat. Sadie could probably get a quarter million for our vast estate, if she knows how to negotiate.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Now y'all reminded me of Steve Martin's Cat Handcuffs!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby L_White » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 am

The pictures were hilarious, Remember_me! I'm going to show them to my sister - we have four cats between us, and we also sort of adopted our gran landlandy's three kittens.
Well, that cat has nine lives to party with that money. If the rich lady was so intent on benefiting the puss, she should've made an institution for underprivileged/abused felines and benefited her furry friend's race all the more. I think it's just to spite her family and kin who were after her money. Just a romantic idea.
L_White

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Considering this all happened it Italy, that gatto isn't likely to see those euro is his lifetime.
I have considered leaving all of my catnip to organizations who help the world's felines. I wouldn't leave it to my own cats, lord knows they will just blow it on stuff like a squirrel sized guillotine for their French Revolution re-enactments. They love history.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby L_White » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:16 am

Kittenwithahip, I'm lining up my feline friends to your beneficiary organizations. =)
L_White

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:55 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:Considering this all happened it Italy, that gatto isn't likely to see those euro is his lifetime.
I have considered leaving all of my catnip to organizations who help the world's felines. I wouldn't leave it to my own cats, lord knows they will just blow it on stuff like a squirrel sized guillotine for their French Revolution re-enactments. They love history.

Ha-ha!! Spoken like a true feline owner... uh. I mean a true feline partner. True cat owners cannot claim ownership....
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All