MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Doctors Excuses = more corporate welfare

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Doctors Excuses = more corporate welfare

Postby peripat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 am

Doesn't it seem that employers who require Drs excuses any time their employees miss work are abusing the health care system? There must be some other way to deal with people who just don't want to come to work because this requires time for medical appointments, writing excuses, workers making co-pays. I know some people just call for an excuse but even that takes someones time unnecessarily.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Doctors Excuses = more corporate welfare

Postby Crockett » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:34 am

I work in the private sector and don't get sick days. You're sick? Take vacation time. Or if its lengthy take disability. Amazing how lost time is minimal.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:40 am

Crockett wrote:I work in the private sector and don't get sick days. You're sick? Take vacation time. Or if its lengthy take disability. Amazing how lost time is minimal.

I work in the private sector too, and have sick time in addition to vacation time and personal time, all separate categories.

Sounds like you need a new employer.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 am

And why should the rest of us pay for the 'health police' so your employer doesn't have to deal with its own personnel problems? We have a ridiculously expensive health care system and I think this sort of policy is making it worse. I suppose it does add jobs in the medical area but I don't think that makes up for the system clogging make work they are creating
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 am

I should add, I have to be out for a minimum of 3 days before a doctor's note might be required, and even then it's at my manager's discretion.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:49 am

At my last employer, you were supposed to present a doctor's excuse if you missed more than two days in a row. This was greatly resented because plenty of 3-day illnesses resolve without a doctor visit, so making one was a pointless exercise wasting clinic time and wasting a trip when you were trying to rest up and recover from a cold or mild case of the flu.

Most adults know their own bodies well enough to decide if they need to see a doctor without being told to do so by their employer.

This employer provided health insurance to only a small number of its employees so your doctor visit usually got paid for out of your own pocket. Many or most of the lower-paid employees did not have health insurance unless it was Badgercare for a kid. So, not having a regular doctor, it was going to cost them at least $75 out of pocket to get an slip of paper saying "Mr. Valdez had a cold this week."

In addition, lots of time parents took sick leave to care for a sick child, so the personal note from a doctor wasn't even relevant.

Since we had a lot of great employees who wanted to keep their jobs, did not have $75 to spare, and were hard-working, we had a lot of people working sick. Of course this meant everybody in the shop caught the same colds or flu.

The whole policy was so counterproductive it was enforced sort of randomly, which didn't help any.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:56 am

It almost goes without saying that there is a wide variety of employment situations. Mine was in a unionized government setting. We had a few people that we (we meaning not only management but co-workers) knew were abusing sick leave. They'd use it as soon as they earned it. They'd use it to get days off around the holidays because they were denied vacation in favor of more senior people, or because they'd used their vacation allotment up already. Then the public would suffer because we were understaffed.

So, when we identified this pattern, we would be able to require the alleged sick leave abuser to get a note from a doctor. As a result of some grievance settlements, we were subsequently required to ask for doctor's notes for people who we really didn't think were abusing sick leave. Equal treatment, you know?

I know it's wasteful and frustrating, but I wonder what the hell management is supposed to do when even the co-workers of these people want something done about them. The union wasn't thrilled about representing them either, but labor law required them to.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:44 pm

wack wack wrote:
Crockett wrote:I work in the private sector and don't get sick days. You're sick? Take vacation time. Or if its lengthy take disability. Amazing how lost time is minimal.

I work in the private sector too, and have sick time in addition to vacation time and personal time, all separate categories.

Sounds like you need a new employer.

Yeah. I never had a private sector job where you could take a paid sick day without a doctor's excuse. For a couple of 'em you couldn't even take a vacation day without prior approval, so if you were too sick to come in, you were too sick to get paid. At least those guys let you have three unpaid sick days a year before they fired your ass.

It took about three months after I got hired here to realize how nice it was to have a workplace where contagious people stayed home just because they were contagious. And I was amazed that goodness gracious, the work still got done! People covered for one another! There were backups in place! And supervisors thought their job was to support their staff so they could get their work done. It was a year or so before I got used to that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Ms Vilas works in a medical clinic and the clinic absolutely does not want anyone with contagious flu or cold coming in just to get a medical excuse. The clinic can offer no relief, as those viruses must run their course. And the ill person will just expose other patients and the clinic staff to their illness.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby makmadison » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 pm

There are probably obscure HR guidelines, coming from the nanny state, that dictate requiring a doctor's excuse for missing work.
makmadison
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm

makmadison wrote:There are probably obscure HR guidelines, coming from the nanny state, that dictate requiring a doctor's excuse for missing work.

Are you saying that private businesses must require medical excuses because the government says so? Or was your post just sarcasm? Please clarify.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:33 pm

The government does not have anything to say about your private company's HR department's doctor's excuse policies.

They do have something to say about workplace safety and equal rights in the employment context. Sorry if that offends you.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All