MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, January 30, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Hacked email question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Hacked email question

Postby Petro » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:54 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Not that I really know what I'm looking for, but everything seems fine. No pop-ups, no freeze-ups, no cough or fever. Of course there are now 2 bites out of that apple up in the corner, but that's probably nothing.

It was a pdf...btw.

You're fine.

The pdf exploits all require you to be running Adobe's shittastic joke of a security liability to be vulnerable.

This is why I love Chrome, with its built-in, sandboxed pdf viewer. Opening the pdf in the google viewer is also safe.

As it was said upthread, macs aren't immune - but I don't know of any pdf exploits that even target macs. (And of course, osx can natively read pdfs, so they don't need Adobe Reader.)

As soon as Chrome began supporting native viewing of PDFs I made it my default pdf handler on all of my various windows boxen. It's not a bad idea.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks all, I'll stop worrying about it. I'm just a minimal internet user, not a computer person. I appreciate you dealing with my naivety, even you Stebben, you dick. (:
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:34 pm

As soon as Chrome began supporting native viewing of PDFs I made it my default pdf handler ...

Hey, thanks for calling this to my attention. I just tried and it works. More clutter apps to delete from my Linux systems.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby L_White » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:29 am

I steer clear of any email with attachments that comes from an unknown sender. I just leave it in the spambox and after a week it's gone.
L_White

Previous

Return to Catch All