MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Dentist Anyone? (Recommendation, that is.)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Dentist Anyone? (Recommendation, that is.)

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 am

My experience with dentists has been like my experience with car mechanics, in that some will unflinchingly recommend work that's not really necessary just to make a buck while others are on the up-and-up and more concerned with your long-term satisfaction (or health, as the case may be) as a client.

Unfortunately, my limited experience with dentists in Madison has been unsatisfactory. Had one guy look at me for about 5 minutes once before recommending a root canal for an issue which an old-school drill-slinger friend of the family later remedied with a simple crown.

So ... does anyone have a dentist they can vouch for as a stand-up sort? I'm overdue for a checkup and cleaning and would love not to have to second-guess any advice I get beyond the routine stuff.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dentist Anyone? (Recommendation, that is.)

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 am

Capitol Square Dental. I've been seeing Scott Sanderson for many years. Honest and highly skilled.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 am

I'd recommend Dr. Tanner McKenna at Lakeview Dental. His office is on Northport behind where Brennan's used to be. He and his staff really understood my fear/hatred of going to the dentist and has worked on a plan that fits my budget and availability. Other dentists have a plan that they want to accomplish with no regard to your ability to pay or get in for an appointment.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Capitol Square Dental. I've been seeing Scott Sanderson for many years. Honest and highly skilled.

And: he owns a DeLorean.

I'll second the Sanderson recommendation. (As have many other forons on TDPF dentist threads over the years.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twigz2011 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Not sure what part of town you would prefer, but I've been pleased with Dr. John Berryman

4793 Hayes Road
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 249-6808

http://www.midwest-dental.com/locations ... n-east-wi/

Seemed very practical and on my initial visit with him, explained everything and gave recommendations for care in a good way. Had never received consultation like that from a dentist and I appreciated it. Only complaint was super extensive x-rays at the beginning which was annoying, but.... part of the deal I guess.
Twigz2011

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Dr. Farrow at Monroe St. Family Dental is younger but very professional. He's a second-generation dentist and really knows what he's doing; he's also brought a lot of newer technology into the office that makes the experience way better than any of my old dental visits.

Bonuses:
--Awesome, friendly staff -- very helpful with weird insurance issues
--Lovely office, with local art and tea from MaCha down the street
--GREAT music (for a dentist's office) -- he's into alt-country and indie bands, and even though the music has mellowed out a bit since I started going there, he still lets me request a Jack Johnson ban if I'm getting work done

I had your basic "overdue for checkup" visit, which turned into regular care; my husband had more complicated issues, including a difficult extraction and restoration. Dr. Farrow and his staff were very straightforward about what the procedures would do (and the cost), and they followed up nicely on the unexpected complications.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I've had a great experiences with Dr. Ducommun at Madison No Fear Dentistry on Mineral Point.

A sociopath orthdontist in my youth left me with a strong desire to avoid anyone mucking about in my mouth unless something was painfully wrong. I wound up finding this practice when I had a wisdom tooth that was causing a serious amount of discomfort.

Their offices are very new, equipped with solar panels and lots of light woodtones and a seemingly eclectic mix of music at low volumes. (My first visit included a tour of the place, seemingly to help with any perceived anxiety. It helped.) They've been great at working with me to get back on track and avoid having the complications that surely would have come if my neglect had gone unchecked. They've even worked with me in maximizing the care that I'm able to get without exceeding my dental insurance annual maximums.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby clyde » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Jademan7 wrote:I'd recommend Dr. Tanner McKenna at Lakeview Dental. His office is on Northport behind where Brennan's used to be. He and his staff really understood my fear/hatred of going to the dentist and has worked on a plan that fits my budget and availability. Other dentists have a plan that they want to accomplish with no regard to your ability to pay or get in for an appointment.

I wholeheartedly second this. When I got married and discovered that my husband's insurance didn't cover this place, I talked my boss into keeping me on the company dental plan just so I could keep going to Dr. McKenna.
clyde

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Let me recommend my dentist for the last several years, Dr. Fard:
http://www.dhamadison.com/dentists/prof ... dentist=43

He is professional, well qualified, his dental work is nothing less than exceptional, pleasant to speak with, has a gentile hand as does his staff, is honest, and a damn good dentist.

And, no, I am not related to him.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Lily wrote:has a gentile hand

Do you have something against Jewish dentists? :D
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:28 pm

I am the most phobic, pain-sensitive patient imaginable and I've searched and searched for someone I could work with. I recommend Dr.Jay Hazen at Dentistry for Madison on W. Wash. Not cheap, but well worth it for those who have been messed over painfully in the past and just need to be sedated and have somebody do a good job on their teeth. Nice people, too.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:03 pm

snoqueen wrote: I recommend Dr.Jay Hazen at Dentistry for Madison on W. Wash. Not cheap, but well worth it for those who have been messed over painfully in the past and just need to be sedated and have somebody do a good job on their teeth. Nice people, too.

Completely agree- Dr. Hazen has done wonders for my opinion of dentists. My daughter loves going there also. And the hygienists and receptionists are all quite warm and friendly. I started going there because the location was convenient to my office, but I still go because I've just never had a better experience at the dentist's office.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 am

I go to Dr. Veerman at Dental Health Associates in Fitchburg. He's a good guy, seems to take a genuine interest in you as a person and has always done good work (as far as I can tell). He's pretty liberal with the tooth dope and that's something I really value. I know it's probably more hip to recommend the private practice guy, but if you have an emergency like a crown falls off and your dentist isn't in, it's nice to have a full office where someone else can simply step in and do the work that's needed.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 am

swoon_queen wrote:
snoqueen wrote: I recommend Dr.Jay Hazen at Dentistry for Madison on W. Wash. Not cheap, but well worth it for those who have been messed over painfully in the past and just need to be sedated and have somebody do a good job on their teeth. Nice people, too.

Completely agree- Dr. Hazen has done wonders for my opinion of dentists. My daughter loves going there also. And the hygienists and receptionists are all quite warm and friendly. I started going there because the location was convenient to my office, but I still go because I've just never had a better experience at the dentist's office.

I LOVE Jay Hazen and his staff. Extremely professional, gentle and caring. Brenda and Roxanne at the front desk totally rock and I love my hygienist Trish. My pearly whites rival the Kardashians due to their attention and care. Plus Jay will buy me a drink if I run into him at the Crystal!
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 pm

My dentist is Dr. Steve Brown in Milwaukee on KK Parkway. He has had the pleasure (burden?) of my loyalty for 30+ years. He is the youngest in a family of seven: 4 MDs (1 with a JD as well) and 3 DDS with one of them being an orthodontist. Like many Forons, I am less than fond of dentistry, my own or my animals'. When I was in vet school, our dentistry lab almost made me sick. When we got sent out to one of the farms to inspect the horses' teeth and float them if necessary, the large animal medicine resident told us to just "stick your hand in his mouth and pull the tongue over to the side. Then you can feel the molars and he won't bite you without biting his tongue." I just flatly refused to do that :shock: , but I still managed to pass the rotation.

However, I digress. I go to my dentist religiously (cleaning every 4 months) because I want to avoid any problems as well as catch anything minor before it becomes major. When I say that I would rather have a root canal than have my teeth cleaned, you get an idea of how devoted I am to the process.

As a pitch for your pets, I will say that I also am very focused on making sure the kitties get regular dental care. It keeps them much healthier much longer and from under my DVM hat, I recommend that for adult dogs & cats which have had regular vaccinations for several years, start skipping the annual boosters and get their teeth cleaned instead. You will get way more bang for your buck as you stave off kidney and heart complications that are directly referable to icky teeth. Plus, the vaccine immunity lasts for several years anyway, probably six or seven years or longer.

I'm just jealous that the cats get to go under to have their teeth cleaned. Wish I could do that....
bleurose
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All