Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Global Warming

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Global Warming

Postby Madsci » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:53 pm

The USDA has updated the zone map for plant hardiness due to the changing climate.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/

But then you would have to believe government scientists...
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:51 pm

This thread was meant to be light hearted. Can't we all just take a minute or two and just enjoy the mild winter we are having and joke about it a bit? Do we have to be full of ourselves all the time?
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Comrade wrote:This thread was meant to be light hearted. Can't we all just take a minute or two and just enjoy the mild winter we are having and joke about it a bit? Do we have to be full of ourselves all the time?

Aw. Poor baby. A thread you started not going your way?

Try to find the lighthearted threads elsewhere, and quit being so damned full of yourself.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Why are you always such a prick? You follow me around here and constantly try to pick a fight. I don't mind honest disagreements but you don't disagree, you insult. Enough already
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:45 pm

DCB wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:1."earth's climate is constantly changing"
2. "we do not know what the previous climate was"

How can you make the first assertion while claiming the second?

Another contradiction in the denialist movement:

1. the scientists don't know anything; or worse, they are all conspiring to fake the data
2. this one scientist has solid proof that the earth is cooling

So very, very true.

Comrade wrote:This thread was meant to be light hearted. Can't we all just take a minute or two and just enjoy the mild winter we are having and joke about it a bit? Do we have to be full of ourselves all the time?

To the contrary, I thought it was a good opportunity to talk about how global warming will benefit some people in parts of the earth. Something a lot of people don't hear about.

And hey buddy, we made the print version of the Isthmus. So there's another benefit of global warming.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:15 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:And hey buddy, we made the print version of the Isthmus. So there's another benefit of global warming.

More dead trees?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 pm

gargantua wrote: I don't know about you, but I would not care to live in an ice age. I have to think if humanity believed an ice age was imminent, we would go to great lengths to stop it or mitigate its effects. It seems to me that's what we're doing, only not intentionally.
These cooling cycles aren't the same as the 3 glacial flows. But it would be very interesting to find some data on how much the change was in each one, and how long they lasted. I think the more serious problem may be what happens when the cooling cycle ends.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:45 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
gargantua wrote: I don't know about you, but I would not care to live in an ice age. I have to think if humanity believed an ice age was imminent, we would go to great lengths to stop it or mitigate its effects. It seems to me that's what we're doing, only not intentionally.
These cooling cycles aren't the same as the 3 glacial flows. But it would be very interesting to find some data on how much the change was in each one, and how long they lasted. I think the more serious problem may be what happens when the cooling cycle ends.

I'd thought of that too. If it's centuries, or even millenia from now, it may very well be a moot point as far as the human race is concerned. I know that sounds short-sighted and I don't mean it to. There are so many variables that will be in play over the next several decades with respect to the climate, the human response to it, and technical advances that may make our descendants wonder what the hell we were so worried about. The concerns of someone living in 1912 seem pretty quaint now.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Our household had a lovely walk in the Arb today. It was beautiful. I enjoyed every second. I've enjoyed not slipping and sliding to work all winter.

I suspect that this 40 F.-days-in-February phenomena is in part due to global warming. So I can't help thinking of all the other, not-so-pleasant consequences.

And then I read about bullshit like this:
A coal-industry astroturf group is running a public campaign to harass Pennsylvania State University climate scientist Michael Mann for his “radical agenda” of climate science.

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2012/02/0 ... ?mobile=nc

and I feel compelled to speak out.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Dammit. Everybody quit being so full of yourselves! Pretty soon your self will start spilling over the top and then it won't be so damn funny.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 pm

DCB wrote:Our household had a lovely walk in the Arb today. It was beautiful. I enjoyed every second. I've enjoyed not slipping and sliding to work all winter.

I may have passed right by you. What time were you out?

Speaking of slipping and sliding, the trails were positively treacherous with ice. Nearly lost it a couple of times. I'd rather have ski-able snow, thankyouverymuch.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
DCB wrote:Our household had a lovely walk in the Arb today. It was beautiful. I enjoyed every second. I've enjoyed not slipping and sliding to work all winter.

I may have passed right by you. What time were you out?

Speaking of slipping and sliding, the trails were positively treacherous with ice. Nearly lost it a couple of times. I'd rather have ski-able snow, thankyouverymuch.

We were there approx. noonish. Yeah, pretty icy.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:20 pm

DCB wrote:We were there approx. noonish. Yeah, pretty icy.

Ah, I got out around 3. Oh well.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All