MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Dress shirts - help

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Dress shirts - help

Postby Crockett » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Yee's Laundry is closing. This makes me sad.

Where can you get dress shirts cleaned and pressed in this town? Klinkes is terrible. Your collars will lay flat and your shirts to smell over time. Best cleaners...enh...again, collar issues.

Any ideas?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dress shirts - help

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Try Block Cleaners on the east side or Pilgrim Cleaners on the west side.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Crockett wrote:Where can you get dress shirts cleaned and pressed in this town? Klinkes is terrible. Your collars will lay flat and your shirts to smell over time. Best cleaners...enh...again, collar issues.

Any ideas?

You could try figuring out how to work an iron yourself. Helpful hint: the flat part gets real hot.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:17 pm

It's been a long time since I needed one, but I really liked Block Cleaners. I swear my clothes would looked ironed longer when they did it. However, the clothes were not starched impossibly stiff either. They even got a stain out of jacket that another cleaner couldn't get out.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Detritus wrote:
Crockett wrote:Where can you get dress shirts cleaned and pressed in this town? Klinkes is terrible. Your collars will lay flat and your shirts to smell over time. Best cleaners...enh...again, collar issues.

Any ideas?

You could try figuring out how to work an iron yourself. Helpful hint: the flat part gets real hot.

This. I was sick of having the cleaners ruin my shirts. Ask your mom how to iron a shirt (seriously). It's not that hard.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:This. I was sick of having the cleaners ruin my shirts. Ask your mom how to iron a shirt (seriously). It's not that hard.

Ask your Dad how to change your own oil. You do change your own oil don't you?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Crockett wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:This. I was sick of having the cleaners ruin my shirts. Ask your mom how to iron a shirt (seriously). It's not that hard.

Ask your Dad how to change your own oil. You do change your own oil don't you?

Unless Ned's also sick of having his car ruined by Jiffy Lube, this is a pretty dopey comparison.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:12 pm

When I was a little kid one of the first household tasks I learned was how to iron my dad's white shirts. It took me (age 9) about fifteen minutes a shirt, so adults can definitely do it faster than that. You can do it while watching TV, talking on the phone handsfree, or talking with your family right in the same room.

I don't wear dressy clothes so it's been years since I ironed, but I could still do it half-asleep. Please learn this basic personal maintenance skill. It's a clean, nice-smelling, peaceful little task and one I miss, now that i think about it. Better yet, teach one of your kids.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:47 pm

snoqueen wrote:When I was a little kid one of the first household tasks I learned was how to iron my dad's white shirts. It took me (age 9) about fifteen minutes a shirt, so adults can definitely do it faster than that. You can do it while watching TV, talking on the phone handsfree, or talking with your family right in the same room.

I don't wear dressy clothes so it's been years since I ironed, but I could still do it half-asleep. Please learn this basic personal maintenance skill. It's a clean, nice-smelling, peaceful little task and one I miss, now that i think about it. Better yet, teach one of your kids.

Absolutely. Plus washing and ironing your own clothes avoids exposing anyone to tetrachloroethylene--a known carcinogen.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Detritus wrote: Plus washing and ironing your own clothes avoids exposing anyone to tetrachloroethylene--a known carcinogen.

Best Cleaners (Middleton and Raymond Road) have environmentally friendly dry cleaning.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All