MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is childcare "work"?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Is childcare "work"?

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Did Ann Romney raise her kids herself or did she have nannies?

Just wonderin'.

She had Mitt and nannies to help her.

So nannies and ninnies.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I read everything and understood it perfectly.

Saved for posterity.

Unfortunately, I understand you imperfectly. Please tell us what "birthing education" is and how it differs from sex education, or how come it merits a different name from sex education. Please also tell us who needs to be birthing educated and who merits a pass, and who should be doing this educating.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Remember me is engaging you in good discussion Kurt; don't ruin it.

I have to laugh at the umbrage taken at my horrible comment of "pumping out kids". If this discussion was in terms of Catholics who don't use birth control I don't think it would be so offensive would it?

Kids having kids is what's offensive people.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:29 pm

OK, but what Kurt wanted to talk about (as he's said several times) is child CARE. What do we do with/for kids after they're born?

Nobody's disagreeing with the point that very young girls having babies is hardly optimal.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:OK, but what Kurt wanted to talk about (as he's said several times) is child CARE. What do we do with/for kids after they're born?

Nobody's disagreeing with the point that very young girls having babies is hardly optimal.

Not just very young girls.

Anyone who's not ready or capable.

I know 40 year old women who aren't.

I'll get to your other post later. The long one I just did took way longer than I wanted and I gotta juice!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

bdog wrote:Remember me is engaging you in good discussion Kurt; don't ruin it.

That reply was a significant step up from her/his previous comment. On the other hand, it's still a significant step down from "good discussion."

The thing is, I'm not actually interested in having a discussion with someone who demands that I explain why using terms like "breeding" and "spawning" in reference to human beings is generally considered offensive. There are really only two possibilities: they genuinely have no idea about why they're being offensive (in which case they're not really qualified to engage in a serious discussion about parenting); or they're engaging in a passive-aggressive game of feigning ignorance and asking me to explain. In either case, it's not someone who I'm particularly interested in engaging with much further.

I do remember your and my previous discussion on this. We managed to end on a note of reasonable harmony, despite starting out with some rather ugly disagreement.

I have to laugh at the umbrage taken at my horrible comment of "pumping out kids". If this discussion was in terms of Catholics who don't use birth control I don't think it would be so offensive would it?

Well, to me, it looks ugly, regardless of who it's aimed at. Actually, I'm somewhat taken aback that you'd expect me to find it more acceptable when applied to Catholics.

Kids having kids is what's offensive people.

I agree that it's not healthy and that we should be doing more to prevent it.

But it's possible to oppose something without dehumanizing the people who do it. Right?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:19 pm

kurt_w wrote:The thing is, I'm not actually interested in having a discussion with someone who demands that I explain why using terms like "breeding" and "spawning" in reference to human beings is generally considered offensive.

Whatever ya gotta tell yourself to get out from underneath dude.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 pm

bdog wrote:I have to laugh at the umbrage taken at my horrible comment of "pumping out kids".

So much umbrage taking on this forum! Huck said so, too. You two should hang out.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:The graph Kurt posted showed children of mothers with more education start out with and maintain an advantage. So possibly one part of our social policy could be better education for more young woman, so more kids get that advantage.

Yes to better education for more young women! And young men, for that matter.

But the maternal education chart didn't control for the age of the mother, which I expect is a factor in its own right. A more careful chart would probably look similar, but that sort of fuzziness bugs me.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Ducatista wrote:
bdog wrote:I have to laugh at the umbrage taken at my horrible comment of "pumping out kids".

So much umbrage taking on this forum! Huck said so, too. You two should hang out.

Yet if you look at the number of spaces after that period, there are only two now. So maybe bdog is trying to be a little more independent.

:wink:
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:04 am

Remember_Me wrote:
Not just very young girls.

Anyone who's not ready or capable.

But especially, very young, incapable and stupid girls. Exhibit Q:

Incident Date: 04/18/2012 - 10:43 AM

Address: Stoughton Rd. @ E. Washington Ave.

Arrested: Tawanna S. Rhynes, age 21, no permanent address (NPA)
Ms. Rhynes was arrested for 2nd Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety (for leaving child in roadway) and Disorderly Conduct.

Victim: Male, age 2, NPA
Male,age 44, NPA

Details Witnesses and passersby were shocked Wednesday morning when a woman placed a 2-year old boy in the middle of turn lanes on very busy Stoughton Road near E. Washington Ave. She left him unattended as she chased down and battered a 44-year old man, a man with whom she is acquainted.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:12 am

kurt_w wrote:Well, to me, it looks ugly, regardless of who it's aimed at. Actually, I'm somewhat taken aback that you'd expect me to find it more acceptable when applied to Catholics.

Apologies then. But it doesn't have to be ugly, in fact in can be downright funny:

Father: The mill's closed. There's no more work. We're destitute.

Children: Ohhhhh.

Father: I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for medical experiments.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Did Ann Romney raise her kids herself or did she have nannies?

Just wonderin'.

She had Mitt and nannies to help her.

So nannies and ninnies.

This is unbelievably classic:

Later in the day on CNN Ann Romney said that “it’s hard work micromanaging a full staff in multiple homes. There were several nannies to oversee, as well as a number of maids, butlers, chauffeurs, gardeners, tutors and private coaches. My struggles were not easy, but neither are the struggles of other stay-at-home moms all across the nation.

http://www.freewoodpost.com/2012/04/12/ ... ple-homes/

Fucking seriously. Boo hoo. Do they really think saying this shit is endearing or something? I have never seen a candidate and his wife so out of touch with the general population of this country.

EDIT: I'm a dipshit and this isn't real. Carry on.
Last edited by Stebben84 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Stebben84 wrote:This is unbelievably classic

Psst-- Free Wood Post is a satirical site.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Um, I don't think that's real.

Maybe you know that, and I missed the wink. If so, sorry for stating the obvious.

--------------
Edit: too slow again. can't keep up with the person who likes beans.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All