Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Mazo crackdown?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Mazo crackdown?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm

From the NY Times (via Gawker):

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/04 ... r=1&ref=us

Arrests for sex and drugs around the beach hit a five-year high last year. Wardens arrested 26 people for illicit sex and 16 people for drugs in just nine days of surveillance last year, up from 11 sex arrests and three drug arrests in six days in 2007, according to DNR data.

Jeremy Plautz, the warden who supervises DNR law enforcement in Dane County, didn't have an explanation for the place's allure, pointing out the woods are full of poison ivy, nettles and mosquitoes.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Mazo crackdown?

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Wisconsin Public Radio is reporting that DNR is making most of the wooded area adjacent to the beach off-limits due to too many arrests last year for drugs and public sex.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah well, DNR is now run by right wing appointees and we all know how hung up they get about sexuality, bare bodies, and such. We really shouldn't be surprised.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 pm

gargantua wrote:Yeah well, DNR is now run by right wing appointees and we all know how hung up they get about sexuality, bare bodies, and such. We really shouldn't be surprised.

Maybe that's the case, but I'm seeing this particular action as politically neutral. After all, this is not so different from recent years' problems and subsequent crackdowns in Olin-Turville Park, and you certainly can't classify Madison or its police department as tools of the right wing.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 am

jjoyce wrote:Mazo cracktown?

Fixed it for ya.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 am

jjoyce wrote:
Jeremy Plautz, the warden who supervises DNR law enforcement in Dane County, didn't have an explanation for the place's allure, pointing out the woods are full of poison ivy, nettles and mosquitoes.

That's hilarious. Yes, a great deal of south-central Wisconsin is characterized by poison ivy, nettles, and mosquitoes. Ticks, too.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 am

Someone need to explain something to Ms. Bender:
They were having sex right on the islands, the sandbars when the river was lower,” said Ruth Bender, who owns property directly across the river from the beach. “People can’t understand something like that is going on. That’s a nice section of the river. I don’t know what fun they get out of that.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Someone need to explain something to Ms. Bender:
They were having sex right on the islands, the sandbars when the river was lower,” said Ruth Bender, who owns property directly across the river from the beach. “People can’t understand something like that is going on. That’s a nice section of the river. I don’t know what fun they get out of that.

Same thing as the "why do you ride a motorcycle" question. If you have to ask, you won't understand the explanation.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 am

ilikebeans wrote:
gargantua wrote:Yeah well, DNR is now run by right wing appointees and we all know how hung up they get about sexuality, bare bodies, and such. We really shouldn't be surprised.

Maybe that's the case, but I'm seeing this particular action as politically neutral. After all, this is not so different from recent years' problems and subsequent crackdowns in Olin-Turville Park, and you certainly can't classify Madison or its police department as tools of the right wing.

I really don't think the timing of the crackdown and the change in administrations is a coincidence. And while one may find this comparable to the Olin-Turville situation, I think it a bit of a stretch. Olin-Turville is right in the middle of a city of nearly a quarter million residents. Mazo, not so much.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:52 am

We take the dog out to the Wisconsin River a few times a summer and park in the same lot as the naked beach folks. You can get to a big sandbar just a hundred yards or so down the road, as opposed to the nude beach, which I believe is a hike of a mile or two. It seems pretty remote and hard to get to, since we usually set up a picnic on the sandbar and walk upstream a bit and rarely run into anybody.

I think it's clearly the whole idea of the thing that gets people pissed, and I wouldn't necessarily reject politics as the reason. Seems like we haven't heard much about Mazo lately... as in during the Doyle administration, but it was a big deal when Tommy was in charge.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:46 pm

I chuckled that her name was actually "Bender".
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:53 pm

The Ms. Bender comment made me choke on my coffee this morning. I can just see her looking out her window with her spyglass, shaking her head, several cats milling about...

Back in the 90's an ex-girlfriend used to like to go there, so I went along a couple of times. She liked to go topless but I do not have a nude-friendly complexion, so we would find a spot off the beach, away from the crowd where I wouldn't stand out in my shorts and t-shirt.

It's a weird scene man. The main beach area was dominated by a game of volleyball that was both entertaining and slightly difficult to watch, even from afar. Distant sandbars would be patrolled by lone nude men, walking back and forth to nowhere, as if in a trance. The occasional nude guy would literally bounce by on the trail next to our blanket, probably to pee in the bushes. The bushes where I spotted at least two clothed middle-aged men, craning their necks for a flash of pink (or dink?) from a hundred yards away.

I've got nothing against it, but even if I was olive-skinned I probably wouldn't be going back.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:58 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The occasional nude guy would literally bounce by on the trail next to our blanket, probably to pee in the bushes.

Which way do you mean that?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Yeah, the way you're picturing.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:05 am

narcoleptish wrote:The main beach area was dominated by a game of volleyball that was both entertaining and slightly difficult to watch, even from afar.

Where there is nudism there is volleyball. I wonder why that is.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All