MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Would you leave the U.S. ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Would you leave the U.S. ?

Postby acereraser » Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 pm

I will now put the Soviet Union in 1921 a few notches further down on my list of possible sites for emigration.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Meade wrote:Life In Soviet Russia...

Non sequitur. No one is talking about moving to the Soviet Union, even if time travel was possible. Another one of you straw man arguments.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you, non sequitur police officer. Sorry. I'll never do it again.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Henry, I think that was just Larry's way of calling anyone who entertained thoughts of moving abroad a Commie.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 11, 2012 2:32 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Henry, I think that was just Larry's way of calling anyone who entertained thoughts of moving abroad a Commie.

Yes, he does like to red-bait. Shades of Tail Gunner Joe.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri May 11, 2012 2:48 pm

rabble wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Let me add, since it was part of the discussion, that I have entertained leaving Wisconsin because of its shitty politics. I can only do so much to make this a great state, but there comes a point when I can't take it anymore. Am I a quitter?

I never felt like my birthplace in New England was home. My parents were both from Canada, my mother from the french part. Were my grandparents quitters for emigrating? Am I a quitter because I kept looking for a home till I found one that felt right? I quit all those other places I lived, and now I'm going to quit this place (in about six or seven years) unless it gets its fucking act together.

I find a large part of the answer in the fact that the only person to say we're quitters because we're thinking about moving is remember. And he's basing a large part of his reasoning on some vacations he took.

And what happens when you start not liking the place you move to? Or the place after that? And so on? If things get so bad here you want to leave how do you know your destination country isn't next? We have a recession here and the world feels it. So what will our crash do to where you want to go?

At what point do you say I like it here and I've made this place my home and to the people who want to change that you're going to have a fight coming?? How do you justify just rolling over? That's what I don't get.

For the people who think it would just be interesting to try living elsewhere for awhile, or forever even, I can understand that. Especially someone like you who has strong ties to a different country already. I get that and don't begrudge someone who's always felt like this wasn't really home.

I'm pretty much responding to the OP which stated that if times get a little rough that instead of fighting back it would just be easier to cut and run. I guess I just don't understand that mentality.

And yes, I DO love my country. I'm not walking around with flag pants and a matching tshirt and barking at others about their lack of perceived patriotism. But I see a chance to unite and fight this uncertainty and division... not just give up and start packing because of it. Could you imagine if that was everybody's mentality?

I don't need to have lived in a different country to feel this way.

But I DO know that if America starts tanking in the way some people here think, the countries they've mentioned will probably fare worse as a result. So it becomes a matter of where do you want to be when things start going to shit? The place you know, were born, have friends and family, etc?

Or some foreign country that you thought was nice when you vacationed it's shiny areas however long ago?

You don't have to live abroad to know that America is best equipped to deal with basically any kind of gloom and doom vs other areas of the world.

That's just common sense.

Oh yeah, and if all it takes is me telling someone to fuck off to make me akin to Ted Nugent, then we sure do have a lot of Ted Nugents running around here.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri May 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Let's get a few things straight here:

Re: Meade -- the US is not a tiny island of liberty surrounded by the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union does not, in fact, exist.

Re: Marvell -- it is quite possible to live a full and happy life outside US borders without getting blown up by drone attacks.

There are lots of things to consider when you're trying to decide whether to move overseas. Things like job opportunities, quality of life, language issues, how much you actually like the place you'd be living.

Fear that you'll end up in a Soviet slave labor camp, or that you'll get targeted by a US military drone, are not generally high on the list of considerations.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Remember_Me wrote:And what happens when you start not liking the place you move to? Or the place after that? And so on? If things get so bad here you want to leave how do you know your destination country isn't next? We have a recession here and the world feels it. So what will our crash do to where you want to go?

I think you might have missed the part where I searched most of my life for a home till I found Madison. One place after the other. Then I found it. If I had given up and just lived in a place I didn't like, I wouldn't have spent the last twenty years here.

I find nothing at all wrong with packing up and moving till you find a place that feels right. It's a practice as old as mankind. There are places that will weather the coming crash MUCH better than this country will. Staying in a rotten falling-apart house just because it's the house you've always been in is fucking stupid.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 pm

The subtle (apparently too subtle) point I was making about Big Bill Hayward is: Why leave the country just to end up lonely and depressed in a tiny apartment when you can save yourself time, trouble, and cash by staying right here - in a tiny apartment in Madison - lonely and depressed?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Meade wrote:The subtle (apparently too subtle) point I was making about Big Bill Hayward is: Why leave the country just to end up lonely and depressed in a tiny apartment when you can save yourself time, trouble, and cash by staying right here - in a tiny apartment in Madison - lonely and depressed?

Something you need to get off your chest there Meade?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Meade wrote:The subtle (apparently too subtle) point I was making about Big Bill Hayward is: Why leave the country just to end up lonely and depressed in a tiny apartment when you can save yourself time, trouble, and cash by staying right here - in a tiny apartment in Madison - lonely and depressed?

Cowards think like that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri May 11, 2012 4:09 pm

It's Haywood, not Hayward. Hayward is mostly famous for this:

and this:

Meade, if you're lonely and depressed, maybe you should get out more. Unplug the computer and go outside.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 pm

rabble wrote:Then I found it. If I had given up and just lived in a place I didn't like, I wouldn't have spent the last twenty years here.

Great. So why not fight for it?

rabble wrote:I find nothing at all wrong with packing up and moving till you find a place that feels right.

Me neither. And here feels right.

And I'll fight for it from time to time if need be. I imagine that would be the case anywhere one would land.

rabble wrote:There are places that will weather the coming crash MUCH better than this country will.

Like where? If America starts tanking, where would a MUCH better place be that wouldn't be affected that you'd be willing to live?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bert Ernie » Fri May 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Absolutely YES! I LOVE Adams County!
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Fri May 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Something you need to get off your chest there Meade?

Thank god it's 2012. At least the wife and I have babblefish.com/, Francis. Poor Big Bill Harwood and his Russian wife had nothing but hand signals to communicate with!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All