MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 21.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Central Air

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Central Air

Postby Donald » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm macho when it comes to cold, but I crank up the air conditioner early and often. The heat doesn't bother me, but I can't take the humidity here.

I'm from the West. It gets hot during the day there, but it's dry and when you sweat and it actually evaporates and cools you off. The lower humidity means the air cools faster at night. It also means fire danger is higher.

This year is a bit different here. The humidity has been lower. Even the grass is starting to resemble the parched lawns of the beloved West. I haven't felt the need to have the air running all the time, like many humid years.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:23 pm

I finally cracked after tossing and turning and sweating for hours, and turned my wall a/c unit on at 2 am on June 29. It's an old one and my first year using it in this apartment. I keep it set as low as I can stand, not looking forward to the energy bill, but it is a huge quality of life improvement. I can't keep walking around in bra and panties with a mister bottle squirting myself down all the damn time. I have had the ceiling fans going full tilt in every room and a floor standing fan, but not feeling well this weekend pushed me over the edge into 'screw it, I'm turning it on' territory.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Our 100 yo house could be corrected but it's a lot of work and I've lost interest. I'm kinda over this house.

I hear ya.

My last place was built in 1899. I lived there 30 years and it was never finished. I loved the old thing but I am very glad to have moved to something structurally sound and relatively square/plumb. Enough was enough.

The old place did have a great big tree in front that made a fine air conditioner, though.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:I can't keep walking around in bra and panties with a mister bottle squirting myself down all the damn time.

I'm gonna go ahead and have to disagree with you there...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Violet_Skye wrote:I can't keep walking around in bra and panties with a mister bottle squirting myself down all the damn time.

I'm gonna go ahead and have to disagree with you there...

It's like 50 shades of grey right here on the forum.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jessy27 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm

I try not to turn mine on before 2 pm and I don't run it all day long, just long
enough to cool the house down then I shut it off for 30 minutes or so before
I have to turn it on again. :)
jessy27

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:47 pm

I try not to turn mine on before 2 pm and I don't run it all day long, just long
enough to cool the house down then I shut it off for 30 minutes or so before
I have to turn it on again.

Doesn't it have to work harder with all that back and forth between hot and cold? ours is on a schedule, it goes up 5 degrees when we leave for work, and back down when we get home. then up a few when we go to sleep. I keep it relatively cold though 72-76-74
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All