MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Things I don't get

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Things I don't get

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:58 pm

I think narco's talking about mercury and other runoff chemicals. They do say we shouldn't eat those fish more than a couple times a week.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:12 am

narcoleptish wrote:I'm really more of a boat person. I don't even care if I catch anything, I just like to be on the water. In it's liquid form.

I also "don't get" eating anything caught in a Madison lake.

When I have eaten fish from our lakes they tasted much much better when caught through the ice. The ick Det describes seems to settle out enough under the ice covered waters, although it is less than optimal.

Regarding the fat old white guy:
FUCKING GAME HOG!!!
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 am

Mr. Howler, try my advice and see if the summer perch aren't as good as winter caught. The key factor is cold. Letting your catch of fish die slowly on a stringer and then par boiling them in 80 degree lake water for several hours ruins the fish. They become slimy and acquire a "fishy" smell immediately. Any fish you can smell before you cook is going to stink when you attempt to eat it. Poorly kept fish from the chain or elsewhere always follow this rule.
As far as contaminants from these lakes, I'd still eat anything from these lakes over store bought. Especially Asian farm raised. Some actually are fed fecal material. The DNR doesn't give any advise on these fish.

But they do get to scare you about our fish.

Here's what the DNR advises for the whole state, Madison lakes included. There are some special advisories for the Wisconsin River, etc.

Pasted from their site:

Women up to age 45 (child bearing age) and children (under age 15) may safely eat:
1 Meal Per Week bluegill and sunfish, bullheads, crappies, inland trout, yellow perch
1 Meal Per Month bass, carp larger than 23", catfish, pike, walleye, all other species and sizes
Do Not Eat muskies

All men (15 and older) and older women (45 and older) may safely eat:
Unrestricted bluegill and sunfish, bullheads, crappies, inland trout, yellow perch
1 Meal Per Week bass, catfish, pike, walleye, all other species and sizes
1 Meal Per Month carp larger than 23", muskies

The above advice is due to the following pollutants: mercury, pcb
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:40 am

Our lake water is just not appetizing to me. The small fish are probably fine as far as pollutants, it's just the thought of that mid-summer stew and eating anything that has lived in it. Not a farm-raised fan either. I don't eat a lot of fish.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:18 am

Wait ... people eat bullheads?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am

Mean Scenester wrote:Wait ... people eat bullheads?

I had a co-worker go fishing with his son at a lake on a golf course. They caught bullheads and ate them.

Talk about disgusting. Those lakes are basically pesticide retention ponds and they ate the bottom feeder out of it.

Now that, I just don't get.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Mean Scenester wrote:Wait ... people eat bullheads?

I had a co-worker go fishing with his son at a lake on a golf course. They caught bullheads and ate them.

Talk about disgusting. Those lakes are basically pesticide retention ponds and they ate the bottom feeder out of it.

Now that, I just don't get.

The extremely weird neighbors of mine growing up were the only people I knew who enjoyed fishing for and eating bullheads. I could go on and on about them, but the most concise story is that they were also the only people I knew who used the word "mayn't", as in, a contraction of "may" and "not"; if I was playing a game with them, and broke a rule, they would declare, "You mayn't do that."

In contrast, my cursing vocabulary was expanded every time my Grandpa caught a bullhead, tore it off the hook, and threw it up on the shore to die.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:41 pm

doppel wrote:Letting your catch of fish die slowly on a stringer and then par boiling them in 80 degree lake water for several hours ruins the fish. They become slimy and acquire a "fishy" smell immediately. Any fish you can smell before you cook is going to stink when you attempt to eat it. Poorly kept fish from the chain or elsewhere always follow this rule.

Come on! Do you think I am some lake lurking hack?
The blue gill caught out of Monona Bay in August, and plunged on ice water immediately until filleting tasted much funkier than those caught from under ice.

Speaking of our lakes in August. I am never envious of lake side dwellers that time of year, particularily those who experience a predominant onshore wind.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:45 am

Darth Vader playing the bagpipes while wearing a kilt and riding a unicycle:

http://youtu.be/m8rzkCkFIus
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:08 am

kurt_w wrote:Darth Vader playing the bagpipes while wearing a kilt and riding a unicycle:

http://youtu.be/m8rzkCkFIus

How can anyone not get this?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:42 am

We used to eat bullheads when we caught them. Think the best part was nailing them to the board (thru the head, of course) and skinning them using pliers. It was a lot of work but worth it.

Also used to pickle carp and suckers that were caught during spring. Never had to buy pickled herring in the summertime.

I don't fish anymore but a friend often gives me bluegills or walleye. My dog loves the leftovers.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 am

msnflyer wrote:Never had to buy pickled herring in the summertime.

I've never had to buy pickled herring ever.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:02 am

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:35 pm

kurt_w wrote:Image

Is that the inside of Nancy Pelosi's head?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Image

Is that the inside of Nancy Pelosi's head?

How ... unsurprising ... that Flanders has no idea what the inside of a smart person's head would look like.

Presumably, if someone were to open up Ned's skull, perhaps with the idea of performing the world's smallest and most pointless lobotomy, the contents would look something like this:

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All