MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Government didn't make that cornbread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Government didn't make that cornbread

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:52 am

You're trying to make the argument that government had absolutely nothing to do with that product coming to market, but there are questions that would need to be answered before that can be said to be true.

"Williams has degrees in chemistry and agronomy" according to the article. Did he attend college with the help of a government-backed student loan and if so, could he have attended without it?

Lonesome Stone is supplied by three local organic farms. Do these farms receive any government subsidies and if so, would they exist without them? Would the company exist without these local suppliers?

You might be right and I for one like the idea of it, but things are rarely as simple as we want them to be. I think that was the idea behind the comments that started all this, regardless of how they were delivered or deciphered.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:23 am

From the link:

Lonesome Stone hopes to expand its product line with low-gluten flours, and Sadler has a few mixes, for crepes and chocolate cake, in the works. The complete line of products is sold at the mill and at the Hilldale farmers' market; whole-wheat flours are available in bulk at the Willy Street Co-op. Eventually, the company wants to distribute as far as Chicago.

I assume they'll move their product by carrier pigeon, right?

Good products from good people, and I know some of them.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 am

snoqueen wrote:I assume they'll move their product by carrier pigeon, right?

Which probably won't get shot down on a whim, because there are government firearm and hunting regulations in place.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Who built the government? Who pays for the government?

Cornbread makers.

It's proper for cornbread makers to tell the government "you didn't build that". But it's not proper for government to tell cornbread makers "you didn't build that".

It isn't proper for the government to say, "the private sector is doing fine." The private sector will be the judge of that.

But it is perfectly proper for the private sector to say to the government, "We will also be the judge of whether or not the public sector is doing fine."
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:56 pm

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All