MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Oh thank heaven...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Oh thank heaven...

Postby beenie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 am

I have no idea how I missed it when it was announced in June, but 7-Eleven signed a deal to take over a slew of Open Pantry locations - I only just found out a few days ago, when I had to do a double-take while driving down Regent. Most satisfying Slurpee in years. :D

Yes, I'm one of those annoying coasties who occasionally misses something from home.
beenie
Forum Addict

Re: Oh thank heaven...

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 am

I haven't had a slurpee since I was 10 years old.

New houses were going up all over the place in our little Virgina suburb, circa '73-74. My brothers and I would go through them at night and pick up all the slurpee cups and coke bottles we could find.

They had baseball (and special hall of fame cups for guys like Ty Cobb) and football players on them.

We had a Scott Hunter cup. The Vida Blue cup was my favorite as I thought his name was pretty cool.

We moved to WI in the summer of '75 and that was that for slurpees.

I still think of sneaking into those houses whenever I smell sawdust.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 am

This is how we used to stack them too:

Those things and my old whirlybird might be worth something nowadays.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:36 am

Holy crap, is that Tom Seaver on that Mets cup? Nice!!
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby david cohen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am

The only time I ever ran away from home was in 1966. My best buddy and I didn't get far: the local 7-11 in Chapel Hill, where we bought cherry slurpees and the clerk called our moms. The slurpee is as American as baseball, apple pies and Chevrolet.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:12 pm

david cohen wrote:The slurpee is as American as baseball, apple pies and Chevrolet.
7-Eleven, on the other hand, is Japanese. So it goes.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:58 pm

For the rest of us dummies, what's a slurpee? I get that it's something to drink, but what's in it?

When I was a kid, it was the Black Cow, which you got at the A&W. It was nothing but a rootbeer float, but A&W root beer was pretty good.

This was pre-plastic cups, so it came in a nice heavy glass mug. They'd put the empty mugs in the freezer before using them, so on a good day your ice-cold mug would arrive covered with a layer of white frost.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:For the rest of us dummies, what's a slurpee? I get that it's something to drink, but what's in it?

Kinda like an icee.
:-)

Ice, water, and chemicals. Can't remember if I ever had a real slurpee but if'n I recall correctly it's a frozen Margarita without the liquor.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:When I was a kid, it was the Black Cow, which you got at the A&W. It was nothing but a rootbeer float, but A&W root beer was pretty good.

This was pre-plastic cups, so it came in a nice heavy glass mug. They'd put the empty mugs in the freezer before using them, so on a good day your ice-cold mug would arrive covered with a layer of white frost.

I don't recall it being called anything but a rootbeer float, but I sure remember the frozen mugs. My brother and I and some of our friends would bicycle from San Martin to the A&W in Morgan Hill and spend our allowance money on root beer floats, on summer days when it was over 100F. A&W is still around, but the restaurant in Morgan Hill was turned into a taqueria many years ago.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

I used to reward my boys with slurpies after their karate classes. It has the consistency of a milkshake, only its like snow and flavoring.

I remember the Black Cow rootbeer floats. The Famous Dave's on S.Park used to be an A&W. The center had an aquarium in the summer and a fireplace in the winter. And those Coney Dogs, yum!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Bwis53 wrote:The center had an aquarium in the summer and a fireplace in the winter.

Yikes! I'm picturing a mass burial-by-toilet every October.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:44 pm

What? No WaWa? No Pump N Munch?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Slurpees are different from Slush Puppies, correct? When I was a kid I'd beg my mother incessantly for one when we were at the local grocery store, where the machine was conveniently placed near the registers. I'd always try to get an extra squirt of cherry flavoring in my Slush Puppie cup to give it even more tang. I don't think I've had one in close to 20 years but they used to be my favorite summertime treat.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:49 pm

How's it different from a snow cone, which was a paper cone filled with shaved ice and some colored syrup? Or is that a Slush Puppie under another name?

Even as a kid I could never see the point of paying for any of these -- they were mostly water and I always felt disappointed.

Not so with the Black Cow. Those were awesome.

Do they still make those popsicles that come in a plastic tube about a foot long?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 pm

snoqueen wrote:How's it different from a snow cone, which was a paper cone filled with shaved ice and some colored syrup?

I haven't had a Slurpee, but sno, have you really never had an Icee? A Mister Misty (now loathsomely called an Arctic Rush) from DQ?

If not -- and I mourn for you if you've never experienced the pelletized ice and puckeringly tart/sweet syrup -- then I'll simply say that to get from a snow cone to a Slurpee/Icee/Mister Misty, you could do worse than to start by reversing the ratio of syrup to ice.

(The past-tense of your entire post makes me wonder if maybe you just need to get to more carnivals and fairs -- or hell, just the ice cream aisle. Flavor-Ice never went away, and as jaded and technological as today's youth has gotten, it still knows what a snow cone is.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All