MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Let's Bitch About Comics

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Let's Bitch About Comics

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 pm

I like the one with the family with the little boy Petey, a little girl, mom and dad... the little girl goes to kindergarten with Dill and Kevin Bucket Head, the boy lies on his bed and reads comics... I don't even know the name of it because I just read the picture part. But it's a nice mix of bizarre and sweet at the same time.

Yes, Rex Morgan is definitely getting on my nerves. I remember that thing from the Milwaukee Journal in the 1950s. Today, they seem to get a new illustrator every three weeks. If I so much as look at it, it's bad luck and I make myself look somewhere else.

I wasn't that big a Charles Schultz fan, though I'm probably the only person who feels that way. Calvin and Hobbes, on the other hand, took the art to heights not since equaled.

And my dad, too, sang Deck Us All With Boston Charlie at odd moments. No one else in the house could figure out why.

I was another lie-on-the-floor-reading-comics kid. I figured out reading by myself, well before first grade. I'm pretty sure the comics, along with the church hymnal, were where I learned. There's nothing like hearing everybody in the room sing A Mighty Fortress Is Our God while your mom runs her fingers under the words to make things stick in your mind.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 pm

My sibs used to fight over getting the Green Sheet from the Milwaukee Journal. This section had the comics maybe the cross word puzzle, plus other stuff I never read.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Madsci wrote:...the Green Sheet from the Milwaukee Journal.

Mr. Tweedy

When you'd do a school tour of the journal they'ed give you itty bitty novelty papers with little green sheets in them.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:48 am

And then there's The Lockhorns...

5 individual cartoons:
1 about her cooking.
1 about his drinking.
1 about her driving.
1 about his womanizing.
1 random.

snoqueen wrote:
I wasn't that big a Charles Schultz fan, though I'm probably the only person who feels that way.

No, I'm with you. I don't think I ever even cracked a smile at Peanuts. Yup, she pulled the football away again....

Far Side was the first comic that made me laugh out loud.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:05 am

Sno, you're thinking about Cul de Sac. I like that one too, with national rankings for picky eaters, and the "uh-oh" baby.

Sometimes I like Funky Winkerbean and sometimes I hate it. At least some thought goes into it.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed Hagar the Horrible. Hey guess what, he was out late drinking again!

Thanks for the tip Wags!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:08 am

narcoleptish wrote:
snoqueen wrote:
I wasn't that big a Charles Schultz fan, though I'm probably the only person who feels that way.

No, I'm with you. I don't think I ever even cracked a smile at Peanuts. Yup, she pulled the football away again....

Even as an adult I thought it was often pretty smart and funny.

It wandered toward the end but was always a cut above "Hi and Lois" and the other dreck. I appreciate that when Schulz died, the strip died with him, at least in terms of new material. He was an interesting guy and a troubled one. Also a zillionaire and a multimedia superstar. I recommend David Michaelis' biography "Schulz and Peanuts."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:It wandered toward the end...
You can count me among the big fans of Schulz's work, but to say he "wandered" towards the end seems downright charitable. My memory is of lots of strips that literally made no sense, culminating in endless Sunday comics of panel after panel of Snoopy's brother (Spike?) doing nothing in a desert.
There was more than one occasion in high school (1986-1990) when I recall reading a strip at the breakfast table, turning to my mother, and asking if she too had noticed that Peanuts was now the work of an insane person. Admittedly, I've never bothered to go back and check out the later ones (it went on for another decade, if I'm not mistaken) so perhaps my memories are simply those of a jaded teenager.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 am

Great comments by Kenneth. Totally agree on Peanuts and Charles Schultz.

Mutts http://www.muttscomics.com/
Pearls Before Swine http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine?ref=comics
The Comics Curmudgeon http://joshreads.com/
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:22 am

Unfortunately Cul-di Sac is going to end soon. Its creator has Parkinson's which is becoming too difficult to work with. He has another artist helping him with the strip but he says it's just not going to be doable at all soon,. I was sorry to hear that, I love that strip. Alice reminds me so much of my older sister when she was little. And Petey is a lot like my oldest sister. Here is a blog attached to the strip:
http://richardspooralmanac.blogspot.com/

I still have my father's crumbling collection of Pogo books. He loved that strip and it permeated out lifes. No one will play checkers with me cause I learned that if you are losing just shake the board violently and yell "EARTHQUAKE!" And Friday the 13th is ALWAYS worse if it comes on a Monday. Dad laughed at how the boats the characters went fishing in always changed names in every other panel. We named our little plastic play boat the "Warren B Ainsley" after one of those panels. I plan to name the boat my husband won't let me buy the same name.

And I love me some Joshreads. He regularly skewers Family Circus, I wouldn't be surprised if the Keane Compound has a hit out on him....
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:33 am

Cappy Dick! I read that every Sunday in the Toledo Blade in the early seventies. Glad to see that it hit a nerve with someone in another part of the country. I loved the comics back then: Hagar the Horrible, Hi and Lois, Funky Winkerbean, Gil Thorpe, Doonesbury, etc. When I was in college in the eighties, I loved the Far Side and Bloom County, and discovered reprints of old comics (Dick Tracy, Lil Abner, Pogo). I even grew fond of Brenda Starr during that time (is that strip still around?), which I read everyday in the Detroit Free Press. I now feel like a crotchety old man (Crankshaft?) who thinks today's funny pages aren't as funny or entertaining. I'm currently rereading a Dick Tracy collection -- good grief, there's over the top violence every couple of days! Maybe it was the Sorpranos or The Wire of its day. Minus the swearing.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:49 am

Never read Rex Morgan. I was always a Mark Trail guy. Soap opera during the week, educational on Sundays. In 1st grade, our teacher asked one of us to cut out Mark Trail and bring it in to read to the class on the following Monday. That might have been my first experience with public speaking. I always loved it when he and his St. Bernard would chase off some dirty oil or timber barons.

We don't get the paper at home, so my son's only exposure to the funnies are via my old books or when he goes to his grandparents' house.

The Sunday funnies also used to have some great mazes and contests in them for kids. That section could occupy as much as an hour on Sunday, keeping me out of my parents' hair while they read the rest of the paper.

My dad taught me to read with the Sunday paper, also a good bit about geography and history, sometimes just through scanning the agate scores in the sports section. "Where's Lehigh?" Go get your atlas and I'll show you. "Why is there a Michigan and a Michigan State?"
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 pm

I once heard a homeschooling parent say the Bible is a textbook for all areas of knowledge -- literature, history, math, science. Sounds like a similar philosophy works with the sports pages.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I once heard a homeschooling parent say the Bible is a textbook for all areas of knowledge -- literature, history, math, science. Sounds like a similar philosophy works with the sports pages.

And with Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge comics. Those were in comicbooks, so I guess this is something of a threadjack, but I learned to read from Disney comics, mostly Uncle Scrooge, and also Donald Duck. And I learned a good bit of history from Uncle Scrooge, too, from the goldmines of the Incas to the legend of the Flying Dutchman to Ponce de Leon-- who Barks recreated as Poncey de Loon.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:17 pm

The Mickey Mouse and cohorts comics in the late fifties and early sixties were pretty complicated story lines. With real history and multi-syllable words.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 pm

A defunct comic strip that still looms large is Little Orphan Annie, thanks to the musical. Maybe not every fan of the musical knows it was a comic strip.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All