MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Anyone catch NOVA and sister NOVA science now this eve?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Anyone catch NOVA and sister NOVA science now this eve?

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Currently I am a little apoplectic. This is some big shit, especially if you are of the mind that our collective efforts do not add up to shit. Furthermore, I will go as far as to say that this power is rattling even if you think putting your shoulder in makes a difference. With great power comes GREATER RESPONSIBILITY.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Anyone catch NOVA and sister NOVA science now this eve?

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:28 am

Did not see it.

Was this the episode about the clever dolphins?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Damn, howler. How is it you so consistently manage to use so many words and convey so little information? I know the Nov 14th nova was the Mars episode. At least the website says so. I'm having trouble linking what you just said with the episode description.

Now, last week's nova with those guys walking those great big Easter Island statues down the road with ropes, that was cool. Why does mars makes you apoplectic?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Wait, was there an actual nova nearby we should be concerned about?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Big_Sister » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:36 pm

I watched them both. NOVA was about the Mars Curiosity mission, including its landing safely, which means it is a new episode. NOVA Science Now was David Pogue again, about "what will the future bring", mostly about information/telecommunications/media tech developments in the pipeline, emphasizing robotics.

Um....I will live dangerously, and wonder if a fellow foron is apoplectic because "David Koch" is a big funder of Nova, per all the blurbs/credits right there on the screen for any viewer to read..... ???(!!!)
Big_Sister

Postby Detritus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Big_Sister wrote:Um....I will live dangerously, and wonder if a fellow foron is apoplectic because "David Koch" is a big funder of Nova, per all the blurbs/credits right there on the screen for any viewer to read..... ???(!!!)

Odds are we will never know.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Okay I am not trying to create a ruckus here. So let me state some of my observations that might bring my perceptions into focus for you.

1) The Mars Curiosity episode of NOVA was great and revealed much that I had not yet heard regarding how a large and talented group of people collectively accomplished this feat. The merger of computer science, the bells and whistles of decades of experience in space travel, and the talents of the current class of scientists committed to this operation shocked me a bit.

2) The NOVA science now thing got me a bit more pulled in. Many of the innovations as presented were refined to a point that it seems to me that we should be aware of, and ready, with an opinion regarding there potential. We are building ourselves into devices that assist us. This is very logical, but gives me some pause. The real kicker for me was the Foldit bit, where we collectively assist the device. Don't get me wrong as I find this all very cool, but it left me apoplectic last night as it occurred to me that this is some serious change that, well, we better be prepared for.

3) I am thankful for the fact that David Koch is a major contributor to NOVA (I'm not sure he contributes to NSN). So let's give a nod to the fewtocracy when credit is due, and by the way he has now edged over my perception of his brother William (Chuck is irredeemable in my mind).

Thanks for having a look at this and calling me out.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 pm

See now, THAT would have been a proper first post. Do more of that.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:21 am

This man has begun to carve out and describe what prompted me to post this thread in the first place.
Very nice piece.
How we should respond collectively - I have no idea given how the collective has been positioned. Although, it probably behooves us to keep these developments in mind.
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175757/ ... _you/#more
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All