MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Rickert: "I'm quite happy to be boring."

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Rickert: "I'm quite happy to be boring."

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm

From his post on my Facebook page: "I admit there's tons of evidence that rejecting ridiculous political extremes in favor of something like pragmatic moderation isn't very interesting to lots of people. Given that, I'm quite happy to be boring."

Admitting there's a problem -- first step to solving it!
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rickert: "I'm quite happy to be boring."

Postby Meade » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Is that how you stay so interesting and exciting, Stu? By accepting ridiculous political extremes?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Nice, perhaps you might suggest to Mr. Rickert that boredom is not an entitlement.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:56 pm

No Meade, he's admitting he's a bad reporter.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Why in the world would you subject yourself to even more Rickert by looking for him on Facebook?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Detritus wrote:Why in the world would you subject yourself to even more Rickert by looking for him on Facebook?

OK, I am beginning to feel that there is an observational deficit disorder going on around here as SL stated that CR posted on his (Stu's) Facebook page. So their like Facebook friends, duhh. I am so glad I dumped the Facebook thing.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Mad Howler wrote:
Detritus wrote:Why in the world would you subject yourself to even more Rickert by looking for him on Facebook?

OK, I am beginning to feel that there is an observational deficit disorder going on around here as SL stated that CR posted on his (Stu's) Facebook page. So their like Facebook friends, duhh. I am so glad I dumped the Facebook thing.

No doubt you're right, particularly if you think your post answers my question.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Detritus wrote:No doubt you're right, particularly if you think your post answers my question.

Alright let me on to some context that escaped my observation. Your question was addressed to Mr. Levitan and my response was directed at a logical inconsistency of your comment. I suspect there is some kind of inside "joke" going on here, this observation alone gives me some context.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:From his post on my Facebook page: "I admit there's tons of evidence that rejecting ridiculous political extremes in favor of something like pragmatic moderation isn't very interesting to lots of people. Given that, I'm quite happy to be boring."

Admitting there's a problem -- first step to solving it!

In Japan, there is no word for problem-only situation.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:34 pm

doppel wrote:In Japan, there is no word for problem-only situation.

In Japan, they have a many inspirational sayings. Here is one I find interesting, it roughly translates as:

Envy is the companion of honor.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:19 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 am

Rickert is a perfect fit with the Wisconsin State Journal. He's a conservative who takes a liberal tone when it is easy to do so.

The WSJ has taken no position on Walker's petulent and destructive refusal to cooperate with Feds implementing exchanges. But they loudly, proudly flash their reasonableness by criticizing the idiot legislators who called for the arrest of Obamacare-implementing Feds.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 am

I don't think it's the job of a metro columnist to be political or pick sides. I think Rickert writes too much about politics, particularly when he has little to say. I know that many of us grew up in other cities where there was a strong metro columnist and we didn't have any idea where they were on the political spectrum. They were the reader's representative taking officials to task over bad policy and/or behavior. Certainly that was true for Royko.

Good metro columnists don't just play the role of watchdog over those in power, they do it with entertaining prose. But think about how often Rickert has written about the mayor, the governor, the county exec, the police chief, etc. He's much more likely to write about how east side liberals or tea party conservatives have it wrong. Isn't that hackneyed?

He also seems to have an obsession with a blogger on this site. You'd think he'd have more important things to worry about... like what the current mayor is up to. He hasn't written about the Madison or Dane County budgets, but he has crawled out on a limb to proclaim that the upcoming legislative session at the Capitol might be contentious. Ya think?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 am

Hard-hitting column on downtown parking, in which our outraged correspondent finds one person who agrees with him -- someone who doesn't own a car.

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:58 am

The "article" title: Meter fees swipe the soul out of parking

I just don't even know what to say. I feel like reading that just lowered my IQ to a negative number. Stu, I'm holding you responsible.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All