MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Family Budgets

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Family Budgets

Postby Jademan7 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 pm

I just had a SO move in with me. We both make a decent living, but always seem short at the end of the month. Does anyone know of any free downloadable family budget spreadsheets or other ideas? With combining our incomes, we need to budget better. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Re: Family Budgets

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 pm

I think you ought to have a session with a certified financial planner. It might sound like overkill, but working within a budget is more than software. You need to start by setting goals, understanding your risk/risk averse profiles (both of you -- two different people), and knowing more about how disciplined you are (or can be, realistically) about keeping track of money, resisting temptations to spend, and saving for a purpose.

Given that money arguments tend to cause more couple problems than just about anything else, I think some time at the beginning with a trained third party would be well spent.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm

The only thing I use is Open Office. I use the spreadsheet to keep track of my checking and savings. I set up my own formulas to keep running totals and balances.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Spreadsheets
Databases
Documents
Drawings
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Quicken seems to be a perennial powerhouse. I think it ties in with a lot of online banking too. As a side note, every Quicken evangelist I have met has voiced their disgust at what they actually spend money on. Not that they actually changed their spending habits, just more aware and disgusted.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks Sno, I think that is the way that we are heading, but would at least like to have an idea of what we are talking about so we're looking for something very basic to get started. I'll check out the other options also. Thanks again for all the ideas.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 pm

To clarify, we are heading towards meeting with a financial planner, not heading toward the problems.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am

You probably don't need any more advice but I'll go with Sandi on this one, with just one point: You'll have a better idea what kind of software you want, or if you even want it, if you first take a stab at trying to document what you're spending your money on. Just doing that every day for a week or two is an education.

Any old spreadsheet is fine for that, even the one in google docs if you don't mind storing it up in the clouds.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 am

Jademan7 wrote:Thanks Sno, I think that is the way that we are heading, but would at least like to have an idea of what we are talking about so we're looking for something very basic to get started. I'll check out the other options also. Thanks again for all the ideas.

Hey Jademan,

Here's a link to the budget spreadsheet I've been using for about 8 years. Its about as basic as you can get. Its in google docs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... UtxY2g4ZGc

Its pretty self explanitory. Either import it or make your own copy on your google drive. Once you have the template saved with your consistant monthly expenses make a copy of the template and rename it as the month you're budgeting for. Do this every month and you should have the hang of it in no time.

Good luck and feel free to send along any questions. I'll probably remove the link in about a week so make sure you save it as your own.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 am

I have heard good things about mvelopes, if that type of budgeting appeals to you.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am

Forget the certified financial planner. That's way overkill for budget planning. Try Mint.com.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All