MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 11.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Drunk Posts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Drunk Posts

Postby Igor » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:45 pm

pjbogart wrote:When I was younger and even more bombastic than my current self, I thought that people who believed in God were simply stupid. Why would anyone believe in something for which they had absolutely no proof?

Most religious debates have a couple things in common:

- Demanding a level of proof from the opponent that you cannot yourself provide for your position.

- Ridiculous parsing of words and rhetorical gymnastics, in an attempt to make the other person look foolish.

- Admonitions that the other person has to "go first".

All of which are, to me anyway, pointless and repetitive. I'm happy to talk about religion, but I'm not going to debate it. In particular, the idea that a person will believe in something supernatural if they have scientific proof is kind of absurd anyway - once you have proof, then the thing ceases to be supernatural.

No, I'm not drunk. Gave it up for Lent. Going to have a few tomorrow night. Hope that Diageo stock hasn't dropped too much during the last 6 weeks due to my absence. Got a bottle of Captain as a birthday gift, maybe I will sit outside and watch things thaw very very slowly.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 pm

I always took schadenfreude to be something that people feel guilty about, as in you catch yourself participating and then back down, recognizing that you're feeling a bit too much pleasure in another person's pain or loss.

The death of Margaret Thatcher has been an odd lesson in schadenfreude, and while we've become very familiar with strong emotions in the political realm, for all of the haters of "the shrub" or "Obummer" nothing seems to compare to the absolute glee that some people, mostly British, are expressing after the death of Margaret Thatcher.

I don't mean that as a criticism, really. I've been aware of the strong hatred for "The Iron Lady" since high school, largely through music and rhetoric of musicians who loathed her tenure as the English Prime Minister. But the celebrations following her death are unlike anything I can remember. People aren't simply attacking her politics, they're taking immense pleasure in her death.

For instance: "I love swimming, but if anyone asks me what my favorite stroke is, I'd have to say it's Margaret Thatcher's." That's actually kind of funny, in a "too soon" kind of way, but more importantly it illustrates just how deep the wounds run. Even mass murderers and child molesters get more respect than this, and Thatcher inspired much of this hatred long before she died.

Is the schadenfreude too much, or did she deserve this disdain? Or, more broadly, do we have a duty to respect the dead, or is loss of life occasionally a good thing, essentially ridding the world of people who have offered much more pain than pleasure?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am

pjbogart wrote:The death of Margaret Thatcher has been an odd lesson in schadenfreude, ... Is the schadenfreude too much, or did she deserve this disdain? Or, more broadly, do we have a duty to respect the dead, or is loss of life occasionally a good thing, essentially ridding the world of people who have offered much more pain than pleasure?

Good questions. There definitely seems to be an immediate assertion of people wanting to swing hard on this. Perhaps present political players might want to take notice. Current news cycles seem to be on the order of a nano second, but it seems people are getting better at remembering things.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:37 am

So when I was about 22 or 23 I was screwing this chick and she says to me, "stick it all the way in," but it was all the way in, so now I'm thinking, "oh crap, this chick wants a way bigger dick than I've got to offer, there's not much I can do at this point other than finish up and call it a night."

Which brings me to the topic of tonight's drunk thread: regrets and embarrassments. As I age, these memories that make my stomach sink seem to pile up on me. It was the stupid comment I made when I was 12, the time I tried to trip a runner that was better than me at 18, the times I fell short, the times I stuck my foot in my mouth.

As I age, I seem to have a sharper memory of my failures than my triumphs, perhaps due to sheer volume. The opportunities that I failed to take advantage of overwhelm me. The poor decisions that I made seem almost mind-boggling: at 25 my poor decisions at 15 seemed uncanny, at 30 I couldn't believe the stupid things I did at 25 and I'm left with this notion that no matter how long I live, the pj that lived 10 years ago will be one of the stupidest men on the planet.

Which, of course, forces me to consider what stupid things I'm doing now that I'll come to regret. When I post a drunk post does everyone just roll their eyes and stare for a moment, like they're witnessing the aftermath of a human car crash?

At any rate, pj at 15 only had a few embarrassing moments to mull, but pj at 41 has a shload. And pj at 50 will have even more. I feel like my greatest nemesis is, and always has been, me.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:01 pm

I am on my third beer, New Glarus IIPA. So I am probably legally drunk at this point. So what was my point?
Shit, I can still post as well as most on this forum.

Oh, rain rain rain, don't bother me too much. Just want the warm to come.
peace and love forons
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Madsci wrote:I am on my third beer, ...
peace and love forons
Oh, yew!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:33 pm

pjbogart wrote: When I post a drunk post does everyone just roll their eyes and stare for a moment, like they're witnessing the aftermath of a human car crash?

No.
I marvel at someone who (in my perception) is capable of being brutally interesting, honest, and Human.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:17 am

pjbogart wrote: When I post a drunk post does everyone just roll their eyes and stare for a moment, like they're witnessing the aftermath of a human car crash?

You've crossed a lot of lines lately but in an admirable way-- it seems to come from a place of original thinking, a kind of talent, and basic decency, not point-scoring and derivative meanness. That's why people haven't made the drunk posts into a target of ridicule. You're walking a fine line and nobody wants to watch someone basically decent self-destruct, while at the same time it's impossible to tell how much is deliberate creation of a narrative or a screen persona. I guess that could be said of a lot of artists who leave the audience wondering how much is artifice and how much is not.

You could ask the same question in reverse: to what degree does my readership give a shit? Again, it's a fine line and if you yourself don't give a shit, you destroy the dynamic over time. That's when the interesting narrative turns into the human car crash.

I'm not drunk posting here but you asked.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:21 pm

So this morning I login and see a post from Ned about one of the Boston Bombers, Sunil Tripathi. When I returned this afternoon I see that all reference to Mr. Tripathi (and it was a nice picture, Ned) had been removed. Probably a good idea because I think Mr. Tripathi, though of brown skin persuasion, is innocent. Ned fingered him because he is Ned and he must of read it on reddit.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/04/it-wasnt-sunil-tripathi-the-anatomy-of-a-misinformation-disaster/275155/
Then I read a lot of idiotic back and forth between people who blame Islam for the tragedy and a bunch of other people who have some other sort of ideas. It's hard to understand their point of view because they don't have gifs. Then I saw the Stalin shaking hands with Chairman Mao picture.
Then I knew.
Drink.
Everyone drink.
I went to Jenifer St. Market and bought some beer and daffodils. Because flowers help me when I has a sad.
grumpybear

Postby pjbogart » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 am

Fault should never be a matter of chance. There should always be some intent involved, even if that intent is simply a careless or reckless attitude which caused injury, essentially a mindset whereby you ignored danger, perhaps even courted it. But when injury occurs people have a tendency to search for fault and crave retribution, not to benefit the victim nor to protect themselves, but rather to punish the person responsible, even if such responsibility is simply a matter of chance.

Why do we do this? Is it because we believe that on some level there is no such thing as chance? That all events are calculable? The lottery winner is admired for his wisdom, the victim of tragedy secretly disdained for his lack? Perhaps chaos frightens us while predictability gives us comfort. We like to believe that we are in control, even while disaster swirls about us.

We are a product of our experiences. Our triumphs and failures are not fully our own, but a matter of chance, a complicated mathematical equation that could stretch around the world three times. The doctor, the teacher, the burglar, the terrorist... each person lives with different memories, and those experiences shape who we are.

So as you search for answers and demand vengeance, keep in mind that fellow human beings began their existence exactly as you did. A collection of cells, growing into tiny organs and eventually an infant, fascinated by shapes and colors. Religion and politics were taught to them. And we all, in our own way, did that teaching.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Your trigonometry assignment is not a racist. You just aren't trying hard enough.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:28 pm

No, I'm not drunk, but I've had a few and I need to be up at 5am so we're going to do a "buzzed post" tonight.

What in the fuck is a meat raffle? How is it that every time I knock myself in the head trying to re-hear something that was clearly a hallucination, I hear about it ten times in the next two days? Hey, I know what a tractor pull is, and I have some vague notion of what a swap meet is, but I've never heard of a fucking meat raffle. Oh, really? You've never heard of a meat raffle? Well, let's put up some billboards and have your ten dearest friends ask you if you're going to the meat raffle this week.

My brain must have some strange filter on it that prevents me from learning stuff that I don't give a shit about. Ticket #201, you just won ten pounds of pork chops! Really? They aren't like that family pack where the top two pork chops look kind of edible but when I go to freeze the rest I feel like I'm prying roadkill off the bottom of my toilet tank, are they? Because I'd rather just pay full price for the nice pork chops.

Fuck that. I'll just invite Stu over for a nice "veal" dinner.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 am

I went to Oshkosh today to pick up my older brother's cat. It's as mean as a snake and hisses and growls at me, but I think it's just frightened and looking for answers. My brother needed to call an ambulance because he woke up and his testicles were the size of basketballs, as he claimed. The nurse at Mercy Medical Center called me and told me that was an exaggeration, but they were almost as big as basketballs.

It's an infection, caused by alcoholism, depression and filth. His apartment looks like a garbage dump. Knee deep trash literally covers the entire apartment, and yeah, I'm using "literally" literally. This is the third time in the last ten years that he's been admitted to the hospital, largely without insurance and simply burdening the rest of us with his special brand of crazy.

He's my brother and I love him. We share decades of memories. He needs a surgeon to survive, but he needs a psychiatrist to live.

Is this my future?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed May 01, 2013 11:07 am

pjbogart wrote:Is this my future?

Probably.

But aren't you pissed at your brother for putting you and your family through this?

If I were you, I'd let him have it. March right into his hospital room, look him straight in the eye, and say hey pal, not sure who you think you are to do this to us all... you got some balls!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun May 12, 2013 12:05 am

My brother's cat is doing great. Eye, ear and skin infections officially cured. The cat loves me and wants to be near me at all times and even hissed at me once while she was rubbing against my legs, which was a strangely satisfying moment. Essentially, I think she was frightened by what I was doing (scrubbing down her cat carrier) but actually turned to me for comfort while she was frightened. She's taken to racing about the house, which means she's comfortable with her environment, and sleeps in various locations, all of which are places I often retreat to such as my computer chair, couch and bed. She still doesn't like to be picked up but she tolerates it and will even sit in my lap if I'm brushing her (but otherwise will only sit next to me, never on me).

I asked my brother if she had a name and he told me she didn't, so I've taken the liberty of naming her Mrs. Beastly. It's kind of cute, but also acknowledges the fact that she's a pretty fickle roommate.

My brother has been placed in rehab and I've pretty much decided that I'm not giving him his cat back. He didn't take care of himself, much less his cat, and her transition has been painful and frustrating and I don't think she needs to go through that process again.

I have to attend a competency hearing on the 20th and I think I'm going to just go ahead and open the floodgates. This is the third time in the last few years that my brother has been hospitalized, all for massive infections likely caused by his own failure to care for himself. I'm the last member of his family that he communicates with, so I fear that my betrayal will further isolate him, but I also recognize that he's knocking on death's door and I don't want to look back and wonder what I could have done that might have saved his life. He doesn't simply deserve tough love, he needs it for his very survival.

I think even Mrs. Beastly understands that much.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All